HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Question
Where To Buy Bulk Throttle Cable

My roll of throttle cable I bought from Hobby Lobby many years ago is all used up.
I cant find a supplier for bulk rolls. Anybody know of one?
Thanks
Nick
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Small Parts, Inc. might have something to use. Bicycle gear control (not brake cable) is ~1mm wide. Campagnolo brand is the best (but overkill for this app)!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksbbq View Post
My roll of throttle cable I bought from Hobby Lobby many years ago is all used up.
I cant find a supplier for bulk rolls. Anybody know of one?
Thanks
Nick
What were/are you using for an outer sheath for the cable?

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
I get a lot of bulk R/C goodies from (shhhh don't tell anyone) McMasterCarr. You have to look around as the stuff isn't labeled for our use For example for the pushrod in a sleeve I think I got braided cable & food grade ridged tubing to make my own "kit". This was YEARS ago. I've used a ton of it, and still have a bunch left. I think 25' of the cable was something like $5. I also have smaller stuff I use for pull. Also got smaller food grade tubing (food grade seems slippery than the non-food grade stuff we get at work although it is larger so I can't say if that's it) to use as a sheath for the pull-pull cables.

You usually have to buy in bulk, bulk, but it is still WAY cheaper than elsewhere. For example I needed some wire loom a while back. I got a 25' spool for about the same price as a few foot at Lowes/Home depot. I used what I needed, sold some to guys at the field for cheap (and made enough to cover the cost of the spool) and still have a bunch left over.

We have a physical catalog at work and it is LOT easier to look for stuff in there than online IMO as you can browse to stumble across stuff you never would have thought of. Looking through it you will think of 1001 R/C uses for the stuff in there.

EDIT:
I did a really quick search and found this:
sheathing... TONS to choose from... this should get you started: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pl...tubing/=kdkwo2
Cable...Just a quick sample..... http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-rope/=kdkxwv
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Last edited by rcav8r2; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
What were/are you using for an outer sheath for the cable?

Ken
I believe the OP had a kit that Hobby Lobby used to sell. The kit I had contained about 10 foot each of:
Braided cable
Sheathing for the cable
tubing like outer Nyrod, but flexible enough to roll in a coil.

I went through the braided cable and sheathing, but still have the roll of tubing. Never really found a use for it.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
I get a lot of bulk R/C goodies from (shhhh don't tell anyone) McMasterCarr. You have to look around as the stuff isn't labeled for our use For example for the pushrod in a sleeve I think I got braided cable & food grade ridged tubing to make my own "kit". This was YEARS ago. I've used a ton of it, and still have a bunch left. I think 25' of the cable was something like $5. I also have smaller stuff I use for pull. Also got smaller food grade tubing (food grade seems slippery than the non-food grade stuff we get at work although it is larger so I can't say if that's it) to use as a sheath for the pull-pull cables.

You usually have to buy in bulk, bulk, but it is still WAY cheaper than elsewhere. For example I needed some wire loom a while back. I got a 25' spool for about the same price as a few foot at Lowes/Home depot. I used what I needed, sold some to guys at the field for cheap (and made enough to cover the cost of the spool) and still have a bunch left over.

We have a physical catalog at work and it is LOT easier to look for stuff in there than online IMO as you can browse to stumble across stuff you never would have thought of. Looking through it you will think of 1001 R/C uses for the stuff in there.

EDIT:
I did a really quick search and found this:
sheathing... TONS to choose from... this should get you started: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pl...tubing/=kdkwo2
Cable...Just a quick sample..... http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-rope/=kdkxwv

Thanks for the links. I always forget about McCarr I/v found just what I need.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Thanks They have what I need also.
Nck
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq