HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:21 AM
United Kingdom, Shrewsbury
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Jumbo #11 problem

Hi guys. I just took delivery of the Jumbo #11 today but I'm having problems updating the firmware to remove the timestamp. I've tried everything I can think of and it still cannot update. Every time I try the update then take a test video the time is still showing.

The latest firmware has been downloaded and the technique works as I have updated the firmware on three other different #11 keychain cameras. It's just that it's not working with this one.

Any suggestions guys? Am I right in thinking there is a problem with the camera? Are there any Jumbo #11 cameras that cannot have the firmware updated?

I've tried the latest release 2 'continuous' and 'remove time' firmwares.

Thanks.
JamieR is offline Find More Posts by JamieR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by govt_chees View Post
Anyone bought a jumbo #11 recently? Where'd you get it from? Can someone vouch for the sellers listed in post #1? I looked at a #11 from eletoponline and the history said only 1 had been sold
I got my JUMBO #11 few days ago from digitalele889, legit and helpfull. no worries
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieR View Post
Hi guys. I just took delivery of the Jumbo #11 today but I'm having problems updating the firmware to remove the timestamp. I've tried everything I can think of and it still cannot update. Every time I try the update then take a test video the time is still showing.

The latest firmware has been downloaded and the technique works as I have updated the firmware on three other different #11 keychain cameras. It's just that it's not working with this one.

Any suggestions guys? Am I right in thinking there is a problem with the camera? Are there any Jumbo #11 cameras that cannot have the firmware updated?

I've tried the latest release 2 'continuous' and 'remove time' firmwares.

Thanks.
check my images of the internals . different pcb altogether. i did'nt try flashing for fear of wrong fw .
you can try to flash when connected to pc .
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is an update on my #11. I bought in December 2010. The battery now depletes in less than 20 minutes of use. Oh well, I can either buy another camera, solder in a new one, or keep complaining.
Email digitalele999@gmail.com . a.k.a digitalele889 . she may be able to get you new battery if soldering is possible.
I do think that with all the mods etc selling parts makes sense.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:59 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
.. but was hoping to find a way to fix corrupted MOV files. The experience did convince me to try to open the flash card holder in my camera and fix the latching mechanism, though. If nothing else, I'll remove the spring that keeps pushing the flash card out so tape has an easier job of holding it in.

Tom
yes I was hoping too find a utility as well.. removing the spring would seem just as big a challenge as bending the Push-slide latch back into position..good luck with that ..if you can hold on a bit i will send a clip of what you are up against taken with a USB Microscope..tonight.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:03 AM
Россия, город Москва, город Москва
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Hi guys,
Yesterday, just received shipping from ebay from on of the seller which mention in post#2, but unfortunately my keycam is not working.
When I plug it to USB, red LED is "turn on", after charging was completed LED is "turn off". Trying to press POWER button, during charging, but the device doesn't detected by Windows7 at all. Surely I inserted microSD card at the beginning.
After plug off from USB, trying to press POWER button, but no signs of life, no LED flashing at all. I tried also to do RESET, but it doesn't helped as well.

Further I found this thread and try to follow it.
I execute the steps from this thread from post#2692. I did:

1. Tried first to follow "Trouble shooting" section of this post with answer for Q. The camera does not react, but the red LED is on when charging.
Doesn't help. I repeat it 4 times as suggested.
2. Next step i perform the instruction from the section "Update the firmware", i've downloaded firmware file from this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1305923787 And execute steps from this instructions:
- I copy "FW96630A.BIN" to the card and turned on the camera
- Yellow LED after couple blinking remains on
- I conected it to the PC and Windows7 detected it as "Removable storage", so I able to explore it.
- I able to do test video and picture in this time
- I delete this firmware file from the root of the card, turned off camera and disconnect it from PC
- Try to turn ON the camera but it doesn't react again
- After copying firmware file and repeating this instruction camera is working after 1st boot, but after removing firmware file it's not working again.
3. I tried also steps from "Trouble Shooting" section from answer on "Q. After loading a new firmware version the camera does not react any more." But it doesn't help also.
In my suggestion, there could be some hardware related problems with memory chip which stores firmware, because it doesn't save firmware after POWER OFF.

Please, help with any other suggestions and thoughts to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Kwazimoda is offline Find More Posts by Kwazimoda
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:11 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Hey Tom, I was able to repair your file, but not 100%. The video is fine, but the sound stops about a minute in. There's 4 minutes, 29 seconds of video. Here's a thumbnail:

I had the repaired file about 3/4 of the way uploaded when I rebooted my router. Stupid stupid stupid, I forgot about the upload... lol I've got limited upload speed here (256Kbps) so I'll have to resort to sending you a PM with the exact steps I used to repair it and you can repair it on your end. It may be nice to have for next time too... lol
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwazimoda View Post
Hi guys,
Yesterday, just received shipping from ebay from on of the seller which mention in post#2, but unfortunately my keycam is not working.
When I plug it to USB, red LED is "turn on", after charging was completed LED is "turn off". Trying to press POWER button, during charging, but the device doesn't detected by Windows7 at all. Surely I inserted microSD card at the beginning.
After plug off from USB, trying to press POWER button, but no signs of life, no LED flashing at all. I tried also to do RESET, but it doesn't helped as well.

Further I found this thread and try to follow it.
I execute the steps from this thread from post#2692. I did:

1. Tried first to follow "Trouble shooting" section of this post with answer for Q. The camera does not react, but the red LED is on when charging.
Doesn't help. I repeat it 4 times as suggested.
2. Next step i perform the instruction from the section "Update the firmware", i've downloaded firmware file from this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1305923787 And execute steps from this instructions:
- I copy "FW96630A.BIN" to the card and turned on the camera
- Yellow LED after couple blinking remains on
- I conected it to the PC and Windows7 detected it as "Removable storage", so I able to explore it.
- I able to do test video and picture in this time
- I delete this firmware file from the root of the card, turned off camera and disconnect it from PC
- Try to turn ON the camera but it doesn't react again
- After copying firmware file and repeating this instruction camera is working after 1st boot, but after removing firmware file it's not working again.
3. I tried also steps from "Trouble Shooting" section from answer on "Q. After loading a new firmware version the camera does not react any more." But it doesn't help also.
In my suggestion, there could be some hardware related problems with memory chip which stores firmware, because it doesn't save firmware after POWER OFF.

Please, help with any other suggestions and thoughts to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Do I understand you correctly?
The camera is fully charged and not connected to the PC?
- When the firmware file is in the root directory, then the camera works?
- When you delete the firmware file, then the camera does not work?

If this is the case, then it doesn't sound too good - but there may still be hope

If this is the case, maybe you could try the original V1 timestamp firmware.
V1 firmware is only partially compatible once you have installed V2 firmware and that is why Tom has removed it from his firmware links. I have sent you a PM with a link to the original V1 firmware.

Do all testing without connecting the camera to your PC.
I suggest you try this V1 firmware and see if the camera works once you delete the firmware file from the root directory.
For the moment, I would not connect the camera to your PC. Use a card reader to copy/delete the files. Also, format the card before use and maybe try another card - and always make sure that the camera is fully charged!

[Edit] When you turn on the disconnected camera, with the firmware file in the root directory, how long does it take until the yellow light stays on? It should take between 7 seconds and 15 seconds.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Jul 06, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Tom
yes I was hoping too find a utility as well.. removing the spring would seem just as big a challenge as bending the Push-slide latch back into position..good luck with that ..if you can hold on a bit i will send a clip of what you are up against taken with a USB Microscope..tonight.. JimS
Will wait for your info. I was planning to open the card holder cover... i think possible by de-soldering a tab or two and prying it open. I've got a dead No. 3 I can experiment on first if I decide to do it... maybe can even desolder the whole card holder and replace it!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Hey Tom, I was able to repair your file, but not 100%. The video is fine, but the sound stops about a minute in. There's 4 minutes, 29 seconds of video. Here's a thumbnail:

I had the repaired file about 3/4 of the way uploaded when I rebooted my router. Stupid stupid stupid, I forgot about the upload... lol I've got limited upload speed here (256Kbps) so I'll have to resort to sending you a PM with the exact steps I used to repair it and you can repair it on your end. It may be nice to have for next time too... lol
Yea! PM sent. Thanks, Keith!
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
check my images of the internals . different pcb altogether. i did'nt try flashing for fear of wrong fw .
you can try to flash when connected to pc .
The camera developer has told me the Jumbo uses the exact same firmware as the smaller version. I don't have a Jumbo, so can't try it, but I would if I could.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The camera developer has told me the Jumbo uses the exact same firmware as the smaller version. I don't have a Jumbo, so can't try it, but I would if I could.
Great news. Thanks for the info.

I am in proccess of formulating a test video to be able to properly compare the old and jumbo #11. (I do have (just) a feeling it is somewhat inferior.)
For example : The new mic seem to be better in taking ambient noise more than actual sound, like my voice when hand-held.
Contrast, shades details , light vs dark conditions are other issues.
So capturing same scene in day/light , scenes that can be reproduced by others ( city junction in rather global etc ) are few ideas.
hmm I am in fact talking about a benchmark suite. lets google ..

Am thinking on uploading to file hosting service too.

I would postpone flashing till after. but I would consider more than time stamp removal if available

thx
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:48 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Tom,
This is the fw (for the jumbo), sent by my vendor yesterday.
Does it look like a match for yours?
Thanks!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Great news. Thanks for the info.

I am in proccess of formulating a test video to be able to properly compare the old and jumbo #11. (I do have (just) a feeling it is somewhat inferior.)
For example : The new mic seem to be better in taking ambient noise more than actual sound, like my voice when hand-held.
Contrast, shades details , light vs dark conditions are other issues.
So capturing same scene in day/light , scenes that can be reproduced by others ( city junction in rather global etc ) are few ideas.
hmm I am in fact talking about a benchmark suite. lets google ..

Am thinking on uploading to file hosting service too.

I would postpone flashing till after. but I would consider more than time stamp removal if available

thx
With the same firmware installed, the only thing that could affect the video quality is the CMOS/lens module. Can you tell if it is the same or different from the curreny v2/3 version of the smaller #11 (the ribbon cable should have a number on it, and the traces might also tell. The Jumbo circuit board pic posted earlier seems to show trace pattern similar to the current smaller v2/v3 CMOS module, but with no number printed on the ribbon. Also, there appears to be reversal of top/bottom traces in parts of the new Jumbo version. So maybe it does have a different CMOS module.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 06, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Tom,
This is the fw (for the jumbo), sent by my vendor yesterday.
Does it look like a match for yours?
Thanks!
It's identical to the Rel2 "continuous/remove time" firmware posted in this thread.
Closed Thread