HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:31 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Hi Guys I got one of the A 10 last month too, i was lucky! only minor danage to one of the wing tip! i just fix it and said hell with sending it back and get one that is all banged up! my was perfect every were else! i have never done a built threads before, but i may take some pictures to put on this threads.
1moparman1 is online now Find More Posts by 1moparman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:52 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
moparman,
i'd like to see what one can do. post some pics and keep us updated.
seadog985 is offline Find More Posts by seadog985
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:51 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
Congrats Moparman,

I came across this package from Hobby Partz.com for a fan/motor combo and ordered two for the A-10. A good bargain and will have eight servos to use as well. I recently bought them on sale for $47.90 but that sale seems to have been discontinued. Anyway for $99 it'll go a long way to 'fill the house'. I was planning on using twin E-Flite Delta V units and E-Flite 15 outrunner EDF motors but that would cost close to $200. Not so sure this bird is going to be worth all that. Maybe.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-70mm-edf-combo.html

Hopefully they will fit. The engine nacelles are one piece on the A-10 as you know and not sure if the mounting tabs on the shrouds will have to be removed to slide into each nacelle. The instructions state to 'Epoxy' the engine shroud units into the nacelle. Hmmmm, don't think too much about that method.

I was confused by the description of the ESC's tho' as they state; "( no BEC )" But I see from the description page picture that the ESC has three wires to the receiver connector. I have always presumed that the third red wire was power to the RX via an internal BEC?

I bought an Exceed UBEC anyway as I have more faith in that route for planes with this many servos and retracts. So I will defeat any internal BEC if they indeed are integral to the ESC's in the package.

I too was going to do a build thread but not so sure I will unless NP does some inspections to these kits prior to shipping. I would hate to have great success with this plane and lure others into ordering wrecked kits.

@ Seadog

There is a video now on the product description page @ Nitroplanes where this A-10 is demonstrated. It looks good in flight, but, with this size model and the weight/wing loading it will carry a fast landing apporach like other smaller composite EDF's; E-Flite F-86, Projet F-4, SAPAC T-45 etc.

The demonstration pilot states he had to adjust the CG forward for success but doesn't state where that point is? Hmmmmm. I think this project is going to take a lot of barnyard engineering. Certainly not a beginner model, I may be in over my head as well ! I have flown an array of different 70mm EDF's but I feel this is going to be an, erm, adventure. Hence the decision for the 'bargain' engine package and I think I'll first build the plane with the included stiff gear. If I have success I'll do a retract upgrade and maybe some scale details like adding a minigun.

MmmmmK, see what happens............

Doug
Demsey is offline Find More Posts by Demsey
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
I got a set of landers metal edf that i think will work from some HK site. looks good and fit nice,but it's blue!! so, it will stand out from the green FG motor pods. oh well!
i just test fit all items in the plane and have all servos and esc and test e-retracs( not sure if i like the ones i have). it still came out way tail heavy!! i even put the elevator servo in front by the battery. looks like i will move the esc even more forward. anyone got some better setup/ how about the retracs?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
seadog:
your plane was a mess!!
i was lucky, just one wing tip was broke off, and every were else was in good shape
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
how do i load pictures on this thread??
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Name: projet A10 1.jpg
Views: 169
Size: 75.4 KB
Description: 28" CFR for the elevator and MG servo with over 120 oz ,since we need the nose to be heaver

Name: projet A10 3.jpg
Views: 152
Size: 74.4 KB
Description: glue the wing tip on just need to recover,but where can i get matching color? may be i'll cut some off the servo tray area.

Name: projet A10 4.jpg
Views: 174
Size: 104.6 KB
Description: here all setup works great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moparman1 View Post
how do i load pictures on this thread??
hope this work!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
don't know how to put words with the pic
28' CFR from back to LG MG servo, we need more weight in front anyways.
make sure to use MG servo for flaps too!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Habu rc 1st flight (6 min 22 sec)

here is a link to my Habu, 1000w 4s e-retrac
i am thinking about doing the same EDF for the A10

Peter
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
is there anyone left on this thread?
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:28 PM
Edwards Air Force Base
Joined Mar 2006
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985 View Post
ordered one of these because they were having a sale. arrived today in an undamaged box. opened the box to find some small dings on the fuselage but nothing i couldn't live with. when i unwrapped the wing and turned it over it was a mess. i then noticed that it was broken in two about 1/3 of the way down, completely unusable. given your replacement problems perhaps i should just ask for a refund since it seems unlikely that i will be able to get a good plane. this was NOT a ups problem for sure.
I received mine in perfect condition....except for the wing broken in the same spot. The packaging is PATHETIC! There are several "fragile" stickers on the cardboard exterior but that doesn't mean it will survive UPS or any other shipper. I live 2 hour drive from NP and it didn't make it here undamaged. I can't imagine it making it across country. There's no protection between the cardboard exterior and the wing and fuselage. Any pressure on the box exterior will damage one or both.

I jus emailed NP and expect to return it...
MSgtrob is offline Find More Posts by MSgtrob
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:24 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtrob View Post
I received mine in perfect condition....except for the wing broken in the same spot. The packaging is PATHETIC! There are several "fragile" stickers on the cardboard exterior but that doesn't mean it will survive UPS or any other shipper. I live 2 hour drive from NP and it didn't make it here undamaged. I can't imagine it making it across country. There's no protection between the cardboard exterior and the wing and fuselage. Any pressure on the box exterior will damage one or both.

Thing is, these products aren't boxed at the Nitroplanes Cali center, that's just an import/distribution center. These kits actually made it from China/Hong Kong to NP, to your door packed like that. Miracle they come in as good a shape as they do! Yeah, the packaging is lame. Odd tho' because some of the damage doesn't correlate to any damage on the exterior of the box? Weird.

The whole situation is due to the poor packaging at the point of manufacture. Nitroplanes has no control over that, only whether or not they choose to distribute certain kits. Not sure what retail politics are behind all that, who knows. If I were NP I would probably think twice about restocking this and any other kit from this particular manufacturer, which is a shame because the plane has GREAT potential.

Some manufacturers however like FMS/Airfield make NP look like heros. Those kits (I have four) ALL came intact. Usually just some minor rash and bumps/dents from servo control arms rubbing foam panels in transit. Then again I have had FMS/Airfield kits arrive with DOA electronics. There again, NP has no control over that other than the pressure they may put on the brand's quality control at the point of manufacture. Not sure how much influence they would have there aside they may choose not to carry products that make them look bad.

I've been dragging my butt assembling this kit. I just started installing the fans into the nacelles. I'm recessing the fan shroud(s) well into the nacelles instead of having them fixed on the front of the nacelles like they are on the box art for a more scale appearance. It's a slow and tedious process. Those nacelles are hand laid glass and aren't perfectly symetrical................

To be honest, as there is a flight video out on the NP product page, this plane will have a HIGH wing loading and will land hot. Our runway is only 30X300 improved Geotextile fabric parallel to 45X600 grass. The grass is not appropriate for this model. Although 300' is plenty for the TO roll, and is indeed as long as a football field, it'll take good effort to touch down within the first third of the runway and will need every inch of the remaining 200' to roll out. I also fly the E-Flight F-86 and it is hairy landing to say the least, steady and controllable, but HOT as hell..................

I'll take some pics of my small progress so far....................
Demsey is offline Find More Posts by Demsey
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:23 PM
Edwards Air Force Base
Joined Mar 2006
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtrob View Post

Update,

I sent it back at my expense, Nitro immediatly shipped another. This one was delivered with the wing tip broken over and the flap hinges jammed with torn out hinge holes. I decided to keep it and fix/ build it.

NitroP handled it quickly, but also promised to check/re-pack the second plane. That didn't happen. I received this kit packed exactly like the first with wing damage again.

My friend, received his with a large hole in the top of the box. The plane was amazingly undamaged. Luck of the draw!
MSgtrob is offline Find More Posts by MSgtrob
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:50 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
485 Posts
I imagine most of you have seen this video:
New Pro Jet A-10 Twin 70mm EDF RC Jet (7 min 18 sec)
but if not, it looks like it flies great... very manueverable! I'm still up in the air about the wing loading. He said his AUW was 6 lbs and so I worked backwords and came up wing length 59" by 8.5" = 501"/sq and weight of 96 oz for loading of 27.6 oz/ft sq. I think this would be a high wing loading for something small like the eflite Bae Hawk but with a larger airframe it might be okay. Anybody got one of these to fly yet?
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Last edited by heychas; Feb 27, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heychas View Post
I imagine most of you have seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DrKVrEJ0M but if not, it looks like it flies great... very manueverable! I'm still up in the air about the wing loading. He said his AUW was 6 lbs and so I worked backwords and came up wing length 59" by 8.5" = 501"/sq and weight of 96 oz for loading of 27.6 oz/ft sq. I think this would be a high wing loading for something small like the eflite Bae Hawk but with a larger airframe it might be okay. Anybody got one of these to fly yet?
mine is finish! AUW is 7.5 lbs
will maiden soon!