HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Aug 2007
189 Posts
@ RC-JG
Have you considered investing in class 1 or 3 of these DVDs? http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...r-Class-1.html
http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...r-Class-3.html

and later
http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...r-Class-2.html

When you consider the questions you've been asking, they may be well worth the outlay. I still watch them from time to time...even for motivation.
Nestinator is offline Find More Posts by Nestinator
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:08 AM
United Kingdom, Holbeach Saint Johns
Joined Mar 2005
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestinator View Post
@ RC-JG
Have you considered investing in class 1 or 3 of these DVDs? http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...r-Class-1.html
http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...r-Class-3.html

and later
http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...r-Class-2.html

When you consider the questions you've been asking, they may be well worth the outlay. I still watch them from time to time...even for motivation.
Hello to be honest that thought never crossed my mind - but yeh i will now look into them
RC-JG is offline Find More Posts by RC-JG
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
427 Posts
I have my ailerons at the same camber as my flaps for launch.
burke757 is online now Find More Posts by burke757
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:34 AM
United Kingdom, Holbeach Saint Johns
Joined Mar 2005
358 Posts
Hello Everyone - Yep i brought that dvd

I have another question about braking - do people use Crow or just Flaps ?
RC-JG is offline Find More Posts by RC-JG
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-JG View Post
Hello Everyone - Yep i brought that dvd

I have another question about braking - do people use Crow or just Flaps ?
I only use positive camber for braking, i.e. both ailerons and flaps go down. They go down together to about 15 degrees up to halfway of the stick travel, then ailerons stop and only flaps descend to about 65 degrees for the second half of the stick travel.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
I only use positive camber for braking, i.e. both ailerons and flaps go down. They go down together to about 15 degrees up to halfway of the stick travel, then ailerons stop and only flaps descend to about 65 degrees for the second half of the stick travel.
I get more flap travel than that and the second half of my stick travel, the ailerons go back up for crow. Going down together is nice to really slow the model down, but when the lift is strong in the landing zone, the crow really helps.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:59 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,428 Posts
I think most of F3J competitors are using the very basic braking system. Close to 90 degree flap deflection with zero (or very small) aileron movement (a few mm up or down). This is the KISS approach

Personally I do not have any aileron movement in crow. Years back I used some up aileron since it was popular back then. Then with Aspires I tested a setup Francesco described. Having some xtra camber in wing tips was nice at the time when 2.3 kg C68 Aspire was considered as "normal", but I do not see need for that anymore.

Having ailerons at zero setting all the time seems to be a good compromise. Increasing tip camber along with flap movement can be nice with fast/heavy model or in total calm conditions. However, I feel that in stronger winds it slowed down the approach too much and makes the plane feel too high lift.

Choose the setup philosophy you like. Then get flap -> aileron mix dialed just right. Ultimately your landings are 98% about pilot skill and 2% of luck.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:08 AM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,663 Posts
If you watch master class 2, you will see that most of the guys do not have any flap down the last few seconds of the approach.

They use the flaps to modulate energy earlier in the landing setup and have a nice medium approach speed fairly low, and stick it in with out much flap. The planes seam to be very controllable in this configuration versus lots of flap deflection in the last few seconds of approach. This is something I'm doing to work in next season. Of course this was standard TD contest stuff, not sure how it applies to F3J.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:19 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
If you watch master class 2, you will see that most of the guys do not have any flap down the last few seconds of the approach.

They use the flaps to modulate energy earlier in the landing setup and have a nice medium approach speed fairly low, and stick it in with out much flap. The planes seam to be very controllable in this configuration versus lots of flap deflection in the last few seconds of approach. This is something I'm doing to work in next season. Of course this was standard TD contest stuff, not sure how it applies to F3J.
I do not know about TD, but F3J landing is generally quite fast. One could say that if you have to slow down so much that low speed performance is an issue, you are doing something wrong.

Landing flaps down and extra maintenance go together
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo