SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab View Post
Well Rudderman, there'll be another Wilga cruising Texas skies soon...
Delivered in good condition, but the slat section over the cockpit has some pretty noticeable dents.
Anyone have suggestions for getting them out ? One other minor problem is they drilled one of the gear shock mounts too large so I'll have to re-drill and go next size for the mount bolt. All I see for now.
Thanks rudderman for helping with the power system, I'm using the same setup as his and should have it all in the next few days.
Congrats Cap'n and you're welcome!

I would have to assume that the slats are balsa. So what I would do is peel back the covering, wet the wood down, then steam the dents out with a covering iron. Works for me!
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
K I'll give it a try, after that I'll go over the entire model with the iron and get all the covering smoothed out.
I managed to get a bad head cold a few days ago, it's really kiked my butt good. Starting to let up a little today. Man I hate getting sick.
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:47 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Well ran into a small issuse this morning.

The 4mm dia. bolts that hold the wings to the fuselage are way too short. Instructions call out a 4x35mm screw. The bolt in my pic is 4x60mm long.
So......to make it work the bolt would at least have to be 70 or 80mm long to compensate for the width of the ribs going into the wing.

Now to run to the hardware store and hope they have a METRIC bolt that dimension. If not, then I'll have to redo the wing T-nut and plate, and redrill all the holes in the fuselage and wing for a more standard size bolt.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:49 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
K I'll give it a try, after that I'll go over the entire model with the iron and get all the covering smoothed out.
I managed to get a bad head cold a few days ago, it's really kiked my butt good. Starting to let up a little today. Man I hate getting sick.

Check every glue joint as well. Had a couple formers pop but nothing serious.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:27 PM
Luv this hobby
Sarasota Florida
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Sorry about the issue. I have contacted ESM to explain their design. They may answer here directly or through me. If new screws are required I can get them for you.

Gene
RCGino is offline Find More Posts by RCGino
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Gene,
My kit is also missing the wing bolts and spacers for the tailwheel assembly.
After I unpacked the airplane I discovered got a hole in the covering on the upper surface of one of the flaps and a bad dent in the top of the rudder.
The slat attached to the fuselage is dented pretty bad too.
A roll of covering to repair the hole and dents would be much appreciated.

The right gear shock assembly binds badly because the holes were'nt drilled square. The right main gear should be replaced.

Thanks for checking in on the thread Gene !
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:33 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,428 Posts
Man feel the Power from those Windings........ :0)

Nice easy power setup and placement by all accounts.

Jeez don't ya hate it when the Quality ain't what it should be. Real shame for such a nice subject.

Nice crisp Graphics also very nice.

Keep at it young fella.......
Sluf7 is online now Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Rudderman,
After looking at the wing bolt setup, I think a spacer needs to be installed between the ribs in the cabin to keep from pulling the inner rib outboard when tightening the wing bolts. This will prevent any binding or deforming of the structure in that area. A piece of carbon tube would work nicely for that if you have one the bolt will pass through.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Feb 1999
3,428 Posts
Bit of a hassle man but one must do what one can to make good. Sure you will sort it.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Did you have any luck finding the correct length wing bolts ? I'm afraid to go out looking because I'm pretty sure I'd burn 1/2 tank of gas trying to find them.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluf7 View Post
Bit of a hassle man but one must do what one can to make good. Sure you will sort it.
I'm sure we'll get it all sorted out, and I'm even more sure UPS didnt toss the boxes around either ! yeah right !
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 1999
3,428 Posts
I don't know I have had UPS down to NZ all in perfect condition best was 3 days from New York......
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:24 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Rudderman,
After looking at the wing bolt setup, I think a spacer needs to be installed between the ribs in the cabin to keep from pulling the inner rib outboard when tightening the wing bolts. This will prevent any binding or deforming of the structure in that area. A piece of carbon tube would work nicely for that if you have one the bolt will pass through.
Capn,

You are correct and I will do the mod for this.

I have not found the bolts/screws yet but I have talked with Bill and Gene at TBM and they are working very hard to fix the issues as we speak.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Good to hear ! I'm just glad UPS didnt smash ribs and formers. My problems can be fixed with a roll of covering and a few new bolts.
I'll go over all the joints I have access to with CA, which is what most people do with these types of ARF's.
This really is a cool model and cant wait to get it out to the field !
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:52 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
This is the only Wilga I have seen in ARF form that even remotely resembles the scale version.
Last edited by Rudderman98; May 22, 2012 at 02:26 AM.