Joined Aug 2010
116 Posts
jesses151 is online now Find More Posts by jesses151
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2014, 03:29 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki
Joined Dec 2013
3 Posts
I plan to do some repainting on the red/white CL-415 has anybody got any suggestions on what would remove the paint without harming the foam ? I read one report of using oven cleaner to do this so bought some 'Easy Off' oven cleaner (NZ) yesterday. I tried it today, and while it didn't harm the foam (I used a test piece) it didn't remove the paint at all either. I've tried various solvents on test pieces of polystyrene foam but as I suspected they all damage the foam. Any more suggestions out there ? I'm trying to avoid the spackle & sand route.

andy
AndyDodson is offline Find More Posts by AndyDodson
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:00 PM
Rusty Team RC
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Mar 2012
29 Posts
Hello and welcome.
I think the only way, is to paint it over, after a very light sanding.

Good luck, whatever you do.
rustiest is offline Find More Posts by rustiest
Old Jul 27, 2014, 09:30 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki
Joined Dec 2013
3 Posts
[QUOTE=rustiest;29014489]Hello and welcome.

Thanks, yes I may need to just paint over it if I can't find a way to remove the paint (without harming the foam), but as that would mean painting white over red it would probably take quite a few coats to stop the red being visible under the white.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Make sure you are glueing your floats to the foam and not the paint on the wing.

You'll have to use a knife to clean away the paint and then use something like Gorillia Glue to glue them in. However, in a bad landing they will still rip away as there is a lot of force on them if you hit those first. At some point, something has to give.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
After months of not doing much with it (and of no flying due to weather) yesterday i did an experimental fittign of the floaters using double sided tape .. after seeing how they were i decided finally to just glue them on as they dont take as much space as i tought..

so i hotglued them to the wing.. flew it finally today.. despite being windy i could manage ..the floats dont seem to afect much the flight.. maybe it was a bit more draggy but there was some wind so it could be that..

everything was going well until i land for the second flight.. very soft landing with bouncing in soft grass... right float rips away..

whaaaat?

there were hot glued.. how could they rip away this easy...not damage at all but i had not readed here about anyone having issues with them , even some who fix them with velcro or magnets... weird .. maybe i should add triangular balsa side reinforcements
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:03 AM
Rusty Team RC
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Mar 2012
29 Posts
Painting white over red is a difficult situation.
Generally speaking about solvents, if the paint is water based then maybe (maybe) pure alcohol or isopropyl can remove it, without harming the styrofoam.
If it is any kind of lacquer there is nothing to remove it safely. In this case the styrofoam is far more sensitive to any lacquer solvent than the paint itself.
If you can't remove it, I think the only way is light sanding, a coat or two of white primer, and then painting multiple coats of white paint.

Good luck to what ever you do
rustiest is offline Find More Posts by rustiest
Old Jul 31, 2014, 05:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
278 Posts
My worst crash yet! The airplane veered right on take-off and headed for shore. I tried to turn but stalled and crashed on the lawn instead of into the lake. I repaired it with white Gorilla Glue. Not as pretty as it was but hard to see the damage from 10 feet or more.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Jul 31, 2014, 05:54 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,306 Posts
Actually you were quite lucky.. it broke in a very few pieces and very cleanly..

mine broke in 12 pieces (counted them) with crush damage in several parts
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Aug 02, 2014, 08:13 PM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
427 Posts
Removing paint from foam

[QUOTE=AndyDodson;29026419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiest View Post
Hello and welcome.

Thanks, yes I may need to just paint over it if I can't find a way to remove the paint (without harming the foam), but as that would mean painting white over red it would probably take quite a few coats to stop the red being visible under the white.
An easy clean way to remove paint from foam is to use clear packaging or box tape. Just press on, smooth out and peel off. Most of the paint should come off. Give it a try!
Aerobatman is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatman
Old Aug 03, 2014, 06:37 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
2,054 Posts
I have a problem with CA kicker removing paint on foam models if I'm a bit too heavy handed with it. Might be a good thing for you.
Griphin is online now Find More Posts by Griphin
Old Aug 04, 2014, 04:34 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki
Joined Dec 2013
3 Posts
Paint removal :

Thanks everybody for their suggestions. If I do go ahead with the re-paint I think it will have to be sand it & apply coats till the red no longer shows through.

Methods suggested above that were tried :

Alcohol - I tried using IPA on a scrap piece of foam, and it devoured it within seconds as I thought would be the case.

Sticky tape - yes, I'd read about that method before, and I do have some very sticky sticky tape, however to the credit of Gaun Li the paint job was left unaffected on the trial piece I used, a part of the inside of the red winglet that won't show.

CA accelerant - good suggestion. I hadn't thought of that one. A look at the fine print (HK's Insta-Set) shows "compatible with plastic & foam", and trying it out on scrap showed that it was true to it's word. However it also had no effect on the red paint at all.

Top marks to Guan Li's paint team, it's resisted all removal attempts so far, and the yellow & red paint team get bonus points, - that paint job is even better, it's so good, the grain structure of the foam can hardly be seen and is quite a bit better than the red&white one I want to change. Yes, I'm doing 2 planes at the same time : a red/white one and a yellow/red one. I won't be wanting to change the red/yellow scheme, it's a great paint scheme.

Thanks for the suggestions

andy