SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
That's a worry! All the videos with Gavin Broadbent being interviewed and flying the robird G31 have now been made private. I hope the relationship still exists. I'm sure the feedback from someone like Gavin could have made huge improvements to this gyro.
uh oh. I noticed that too. This can't be good.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:00 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
955 Posts
Quote:
I haven't investigated the 600 much. The 600ESP cyclic could be a little different because of the dual pushrods and cyclic control arms, but the tail should be the same as the 550. The 600 Pro would most likely be the same for cyclic and the tail.
I had to set mine on my HK600GT at 10mm to get travel close to 70(61) on it for +-12* using the DFC head
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:51 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
I had to set mine on my HK600GT at 10mm to get travel close to 70(61) on it for +-12* using the DFC head
Interesting. There is some amplification in the control arms on the 600GT and ESP. It looks almost 2 times, which explains needing a much smaller servo arm length.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Jul 15, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:58 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
955 Posts
its a little over double 33.5 - 15mm
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
I've put about 5 or 6 batteries through the G31 now - and I'm really happy with it. I'm just using standard settings (except both gains are at 1 o'clock), and the heli seems much more planted than the 3GYS / ZYX / 3X1000. It feels very much like the Beastx on my Mini Protos - very responsive but more stable that the ZYX etc..

I'm really pleased with it and I'm very tempted to replace some of the ZYX's with these ... cartainly any new FBL units that I buy will be these rather than the Tarot / Copterx
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
its a little over double 33.5 - 15mm
Here's a question: My Align Dfc head and Tarot Dfc heads are both 16mm.Ive got my servo arms at 12.5 according to the fbl instructions but I'm wondering if Dfc heads follow the two to one rule?Maybe I should try 10mm with the Dfc head?Anyone try that on there 450?I can't go past 12 oclock on the cyclic gain without the shakes but it is working great at 12!On st1 3100headspeed I register no vibs( below 200).I think the single spike shows headspeed and the other number shows total spikes added to total .When I go below or above 3100 I register spikes to 275, also depending on how tight I make my blades I can see improvement .On flight 66 without any problems whatsoever ,best value I ever got!
Answer to my own question is:With the Dfc head you can run 10mm for servo arm distance on the 450, it still falls in the green zone and then I could turn up the gain to two o'clock on both Aile and elev.Still windy here but flight test show it is even more solid.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Jul 15, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Detail, answer own ?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I've put about 5 or 6 batteries through the G31 now - and I'm really happy with it. I'm just using standard settings (except both gains are at 1 o'clock), and the heli seems much more planted than the 3GYS / ZYX / 3X1000. It feels very much like the Beastx on my Mini Protos - very responsive but more stable that the ZYX etc..

I'm really pleased with it and I'm very tempted to replace some of the ZYX's with these ... cartainly any new FBL units that I buy will be these rather than the Tarot / Copterx
That's good to hear, Mike. What heli did you end up putting it on and what servos, arm length etc.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
378 Posts
Same here.. I have 2 ZYX-S and 2 BeastX I need to sale. I bought two more of the G31/3GY gyros. I bought a Black Widow from RC Aerodyne and the new metal case 3GY from rc711.com
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,485 Posts
Sold 4 cx3x1000,glad I did before the up coming sale of so many gyros !I bought another Robird also to put on my BlackAngel .
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI View Post
Same here.. I have 2 ZYX-S and 2 BeastX I need to sale. I bought two more of the G31/3GY gyros. I bought a Black Widow from RC Aerodyne and the new metal case 3GY from rc711.com
Interesting about the metal case!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
378 Posts
I`m not sure if it is all metal or just part of it.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,387 Posts
Long term update on the Solar D650 digital cyclic servos. So today in an effort to advance my skills I tried inverted tail in hover. Unfortunately it seems I need a little more sim time so you know how these things go.. Not much damage. I crashed over uncut grass so I stripped the main gear, bent the feathering shaft, bent the main shaft, and stripped 2 servo gears... I really thought that the Solar servos were an upgrade over the EXI servos but it seems like they are just rebadged. I opened both of them up and found a single plastic gear mixed in with metal gears. I only have one spare Solar and I had an EXI D213 in my box. I used the same plastic gear in the EXI in the Solar. I hate rebuilding servos...
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Long term update on the Solar D650 digital cyclic servos. So today in an effort to advance my skills I tried inverted tail in hover. Unfortunately it seems I need a little more sim time so you know how these things go.. Not much damage. I crashed over uncut grass so I stripped the main gear, bent the feathering shaft, bent the main shaft, and stripped 2 servo gears... I really thought that the Solar servos were an upgrade over the EXI servos but it seems like they are just rebadged. I opened both of them up and found a single plastic gear mixed in with metal gears. I only have one spare Solar and I had an EXI D213 in my box. I used the same plastic gear in the EXI in the Solar. I hate rebuilding servos...
Yeah, backwards tail and elevator. Makes life interesting. You need to be 3 crashes high, when doing anything new like that. Master it up high and then bring it down slowly. I also encourage people to learn reverse flight before doing too much inverted. It can get you out of a lot of trouble when things go wrong.

I hope you have it back in the air soon. Interesting to hear about the Solar just being a rebadged EXI. Isn't EXI pretty much a Hobbypartz (and their other stores) only brand, anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:04 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
That's good to hear, Mike. What heli did you end up putting it on and what servos, arm length etc.
I put it on a Copterx 450 SE V2 with MG-14 analogue servos (these get bad press but worked well on this when it had the Beastx) the balls are at about 12.5mm. The heli is more planted than it's brother that still has a 3X1000 on it - yesterday it was quite gusty here and it was amazing to watch it sitting in the wind and fighting to maintain it's attitude - it always impresses me when they do that
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:18 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,975 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I'm still intrigued that people are saying this gyro is more stable than the ZYX. My 250 DFC, with the ZYX, for example, couldn't be more stable. Perhaps it comes down to what's connected to the gyro and how smooth the heli is. The same with this 450 Pro. With the 3GYS v1 it was also super stable, and very smooth. The only quirk I've found is the pitch up in FF rolls, but now I'm doing more 3D, I don't do FF rolls very often anyway.

Check out this video for example:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3878
Last edited by beenflying; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:36 AM.