SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 08:13 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
I would agree that that looks like an antenna. I actually like that design, as a lot of people have been busting their antenna's lately.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,121 Posts
i do care about looking and i must say i dont like what i see now
maybe i end up changing my mind but thats my first impression: quite ugly and this handle make it bulky

without any idea about the look of the frsky bet, i have the felling Frsky is going to win the race between 9xr and x12d
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old May 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
Currently flyin Crack Yak
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
I don't think the top is a handle I think it's an LCD screen with telemetry info.. well maybe not looking at the shadows... either way he should clean his desk
ryanotown22 is offline Find More Posts by ryanotown22
Old May 03, 2012, 12:00 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
It would be silly to put the antenna inside a handle where you can't change it's orientation. Agree, I also hope it has a top LCD, can't tell in the photo. The handle on the original 9x is the best design, keeps my FrSky antenna off the ground when I set it down.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 03, 2012, 12:37 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Anybody notice the 9x without the plastic case sitting at the bottom right of the monitor in that picture? Probably using it for software testing.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old May 03, 2012, 11:21 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySean View Post
The handle on the original 9x is the best design, keeps my FrSky antenna off the ground when I set it down.
if cutting your signal in half is a good thing then you are correct. my theory is better to make a handle out of plastic instead of metal.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 03, 2012, 04:43 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
if cutting your signal in half is a good thing then you are correct. my theory is better to make a handle out of plastic instead of metal.
Is this a proven engineering fact or a urban legend collected on the internet ?

Why is there that almost all of the big brand high end radios have a metal handle at the back of the case ?

You are telling me that Futaba, Jr, Hitec's etc. engineers are bunch of noobs that do make radios that by design have their output halved because of the handle they use ?

Maybe as years pass, they should have got it now, don't you think ?

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/air.html

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Radios-DSMX.aspx

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/produkte/...wshopitems_pi1[action]=show&tx_lwshopitems_pi1[controller]=Product&cHash=8d29418e95293adabc4d29b3be48979c

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...aft/index.html

I'll stop here, you should get the picture...
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Last edited by blackmoon; May 03, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 05:28 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
Is this a proven engineering fact or a urban legend collected on the internet ?
maybe not fact depending on what you mean but actual field range tests on my 9x w/frsky module. rssi and field strength meter was used as apposed to the more popular wag. anyway i appreciate the time you took to dig up those links but not one shows a radio with module installed ala turnigy/frsky.

when the handle extends significantly above the balun/decoupler part of the ducky there WILL be signal loss. not to mention distortion of that lovely toroidal polar plot many here are attached to.

Quote:
Why is there that almost all of the big brand high end radios have a metal handle at the back of the case ?

You are telling me that Futaba, Jr, Hitec's etc. engineers a bunch of noobs that do make radios that by design have their output halved because of the handle they use ?

well since you asked nicely i will get you one. it shows the extreme i had to go to in order to restore range compared to the common approach of poking a hole for rt angle adapter. you may continue to believe metal handles do not interfere with rf module antennas. im glad flysky saw fit to improve that aspect of their design.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 03, 2012, 06:57 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
when the handle extends significantly above the balun/decoupler part of the ducky there WILL be signal loss. not to mention distortion of that lovely toroidal polar plot many here are attached to.

well since you asked nicely i will get you one. it shows the extreme i had to go to in order to restore range compared to the common approach of poking a hole for rt angle adapter. you may continue to believe metal handles do not interfere with rf module antennas. im glad flysky saw fit to improve that aspect of their design.
Fair enough .

Since I have no knowledge about radio waves stuff, I was not getting the all picture, you were talking about antenna that are almost below the handle not the one's where the antenna is above the handle.

I'll go to bed less stupid, thank you.
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old May 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,478 Posts
Quote:
...You are telling me that Futaba, Jr, Hitec's etc. engineers are bunch of noobs that do make radios that by design have their output halved because of the handle they use ?
YES !
It's enough to look and analyze everything the brands launched in the last 3 years to conclude they are either gone crazy, or engineers are no more let to make do their jobs, and are only puppets operated from marketing departments that request them only stupid things, not useful to real hobbyists, but full of bling factor.

Back to radio handles, those were designed 20 years ago, when in FM that handle is really without influence. You request them too much to change according to GHz requirements.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,724 Posts
I like the embedded antenna, since flat+horizontal is the only orientation I ever use - it might as well be protected inside a robust handle.

The rest of it is a bit cosmetically pants IMHO. Here's hoping they'll tone down the bling before release.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I like the embedded antenna, since flat+horizontal is the only orientation I ever use - it might as well be protected inside a robust handle.

The rest of it is a bit cosmetically pants IMHO. Here's hoping they'll tone down the bling before release.
It's ok looking, but I would much rather see a Turnigy 11X (or higher) and 6X rather han a new 9X. What's wrong with the current one? It's extremely customizable. I kind of like the idea of cheap receivers and no brown outs (unlike spektrum).

Also, does anybody know if it will be compatible with the old V2 receivers which are currently on the market? I'm getting sick of spektrum. I won't switch though if the system won't be around for much longer.
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Last edited by torque roll; May 15, 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
I see your point, but in many cases 9 true channels will be more than the majority of users would ever use and it would help to keep the price down.

I'd guess people wanting more channels might skip the Turnigy radios anyway, although the custom firmware stuff has it's obvious benefits.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old May 17, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Oct 2008
39 Posts
With custom firmware more channels would be added right? so all we have to do is wait for FRsky to come up with a 16channel telemitry module
Pumpe is offline Find More Posts by Pumpe
Old May 17, 2012, 07:02 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
585 Posts
I would hope that the new transmitter is vastly better than the current 9x from various markets. The current 9x is the biggest heap of @#$* I know, & sorry you cant polish a turd.

Unless it can be as good as the likes of Hitec, JR & Futaba hardware & software wise....
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71