SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
57 Posts
Question
Lowes FFF removing film ?

I'm new to scratch work, and am just starting to work with foam. I have some of Lowes blue FFF; how do I remove the film that is on one side of the foam? In most cases the film is un-important, but in some places I would like to remove it.

Thanks,
Doug
doughere is offline Find More Posts by doughere
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:39 PM
If it wasn't for the foam
PA
Joined Dec 2004
522 Posts
Just start peeling, using the tip of a knife blade to get things started. Some people like to roll it onto a pencil or dowel, but I haven't gotten that to work very well.

I've used packing tape to help the peeling, with some success. I haven't tried other tapes, maybe some are better or worse.

It takes a little effort, but it's not a big deal.
tduro is offline Find More Posts by tduro
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:40 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Peel it from a corner, and roll it off over a dowel, or a suitable round shaft.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:47 PM
Mansfield, Ohio
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Lowes FFF removing film

The best I can tell you is I remove the film by cutting out all of my pieces rather than trying to peel the entire sheet. I start removing the film starting at a corner and slowly peel the film up at a 90 deg. angle. Most of the time it lifts off fairly easily. I have read where others roll the film loose by wrapping around a pencil or round object. Hope this helps and I am sure you will hear from others as there are probably many ideas.
bostickt is offline Find More Posts by bostickt
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:21 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
somewhere in the terabytes of RCG is a video some one did of how to do this. next we'll see a video of how to watch paint dry...

It really is pretty easy, pry up a corner and gently pull. It should take 30 seconds to get a feel for it. I use an exacto knife coax up the parts that have broken off.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Put some New Age music on, and call it therapy...
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
i will get pieces that are not to big get it going all the way across your starting edge and put the film between to fingers so that im holding the piece up by the film only and then with my other hand pull on the film so the piece of foam will actually go up the back of your hand and the film peels off.

might be confusing if i was home i'd take a picture/ video to show you but im sitting in a class laying out files to cut an f-22 kit on the new laser we just got at work oh and i'm on rcgroups too of course!

i need to cut a few pieces for my su-37 which im going to try to get all sanded and finished up tonight if i can so i'll cut some strips of foam and try to video it

i think the reason this method works is because it helps keep the preasure even across the film thus it wont tear as easily and you can get it in one piece.

and as they say above i use my handy #11 to pull up the little bits that tear off normally due to cuts in the foam or the damn perferation holes!
trevjonez is offline Find More Posts by trevjonez
Old Dec 01, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
83 Posts
The Trick

I have found a very easy way to pull the film off. All you have to do is keep tension on the film as you pull it. It will come off in big sheets. Try it, it works.
gcook12 is offline Find More Posts by gcook12