SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.62%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 101 28.29%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.72%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.36%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:16 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Still moving along here. I went ahead and added the two top side plates and removed some of the railing around the back. I also trimmed out the side ports some more. After talking to others I believe that the original two elevon and vertical stab approach to control surfaces is the way to go also. As far as elevon size I'm sure they need to be as big as possible. Keep plugging away James shes got to fly!
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Last edited by GO-RC; Mar 26, 2005 at 02:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:41 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Great one!! Thats becoming to look even better!
Yes, i guess the elevons should be as big as possible, perhaps 1 quarter of the length of the circle?? How are you going to make the elevons, are you just going to hinge parts of the entire body?? How about spolierons???
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Mar 26, 2005, 01:18 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
Media, Pa/Blacksburg Va
Joined Oct 2004
1,238 Posts
how about using the same clear plastic material you're using to make the stabablizer to make the elevons?
SaMx is offline Find More Posts by SaMx
Old Mar 26, 2005, 02:06 PM
Clear Lake City Metroport, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
Umm.... what is going to provide the lateral (yaw) stability on this? Are you counting on the extra drag from the disc vs forward projections to keep it from yawing off center all the time? You at least need to think about this.
pimmer is offline Find More Posts by pimmer
Old Mar 26, 2005, 03:35 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
I was just planning on hinging parts of the body for the elevons. Not sure how well its going to work with the curve involved.
Pimmer - ya this craft was definitely not designed for atmospheric flight. If you have any suggestions that might help with a yaw problem please let us know. This is just for fun and anything is worth a try.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 01:24 AM
Clear Lake City Metroport, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
One person here on this forum used free hinged flaps at the ends of his wings. They could only hinge outward freely but when they tried to pivot inward, they would hit the body of the wing and not go any farther. Picture it from above. The flaps were like winglets except they stuck mostly above the wing but a little below it too. If the craft yawed to the left, the left hand rudder would wethervane with the airstream. The right hand rudder would try to weathervane into the airstream but would be stopped by the wing body. This would increase the drag on the right side and tend to bring the model back yawing right. Like a door. It opens one way, but is stopped by the dorframe from opening the other.
pimmer is offline Find More Posts by pimmer
Old Mar 27, 2005, 06:53 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Won't yaw problems be reduced with the presence of the verticle stabilizer??
Old Mar 27, 2005, 04:47 PM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I have the Falcon all covered now. Worked well and only added 15 grams. At test glide proved that it can fly and it flew well!!
I have yet to burn the holes in for the gear.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 01:48 AM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Looks Good!

Hey James I agree, the series of test glides I did we found that the ship flew smooth and stable. This also was done without a vertical stabilizer! Now once I add all the additional details that may change, but it was encouraging.

Worked on the cockpit today while Im still figuring the control layout. Below are a few photos of the cockpit and a temporary install.

"Mmm. Control, control. You must learn control."
Old Mar 28, 2005, 04:14 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,253 Posts
Go-RC... that really does look fantastic! I really hope that it does some sort of dance for you. At least a few teaser circuits or two. Would look truly awesome if it managed to take to the sky.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:07 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
,I now have a serious balance problem. Even if i place all of the equipment way up front, the motor just doesn't allow the predicted CofG to fall in place, it is actually two inches off!
My only methods that i can think of is to either, extend the shaft on the motor but that would be a bit impracticle and hard to balance or place the motor in the centre and cut slots out for the prop but that may not be very efficient for the prop.
Probably the ideal option would be to place the motor at the front of the model but where to place it i would not know, less i can place it to one side on a 'fork'? But my favourite option would be to place it in the cockpit, though it is off to one side, it will allow perfect balance, clearance of the prop and it would allow the porp to be directly in the air stream. So, does anyone think this would be a good idea, or should i just go for it, and see what happens?? , Thanks anyone,

p.s. that does look awesome, GO-RC, but i wonder if you will have the same CG problems??

James,
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:17 AM
Jody Bradshaw
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,061 Posts
James,

Put a little dead weight in the forks. Also make sure when you mount the motor to put in "downthrust". The motor shaft will be pointing up to push the back of the model down and the nose up.

Hope this helps.

Jody
JMBRAD is offline Find More Posts by JMBRAD
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:32 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I could do that, but i would need another ounce of dead weight. But that will be done as a last resort. Well, i am now making a motor mount and a new cockpit to fit the motor in. I guess i'll shall need to out balance the model by placing the battery the the left a bit. I am not sure th amount of right thrust that i'll need, 3-4 degress?? Maybe more?
Old Mar 28, 2005, 09:41 AM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
Putting the motor in the cockpit area would give you some serious thrust line problems since the cockpit is nowhere near the centerline of the ship. It sounds like nose weight or a big ducted fan nearer the center would be a better solution than a cockpit mounted motor.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2005, 09:49 AM
Flap chap
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Yeah, i just begun to realize that, and it don't look too good either. My CG problem is a real pain .
I put 100 grams nose weight and it just managed to balance. I put the battery right up to the end of the forks, still 1 inch off. Heck, i have no clue what to do, though im still trying. Its clear it cannot balance with the motor right up the rear. I am thinking maybe i should extend the rear with some wide ailerons, as i haven't incorporated the extended bit over the edge of the rear. This may bring the CG rear back a bit. If anyone has ANY suggestions, they will be appreciated lots. Thanks,

James,