HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
I don't own an iron to apply the cover. And I'd rather not buy one just for an Assassin or a Widowmaker build. Is there an alternate method to shrink-wrapping/covering during the build? I own a heat gun. Will that do?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
KI4KRA
United States, NC, Spring Lake
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
Buy a $10 iron from your lhs. The covering is what gives the assassin it's strength.
Ogrestud is offline Find More Posts by Ogrestud
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
I don't own an iron to apply the cover. And I'd rather not buy one just for an Assassin or a Widowmaker build. Is there an alternate method to shrink-wrapping/covering during the build? I own a heat gun. Will that do?
borrow one or use/borrow a clothes iron from someone. They are handy to have though. I have one already because I have to shrink the covering on my ARF airframes s every so often.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Yeah, they're about $10 or $12, and considering the fact that after you fly an assassin, you'll be hooked, and building another assassin, or a Reaper, or a Titan, or... all of the above... it'll come in handy
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
What would be a good motor from HobbyPartz.com for the Assassin/Widowmaker and also the Scythe?

I'm huge fan of Exceed Motors and they're usually my go-to motor choice for parkflyer upgrades. Anyone fly a Crash Test Hobby wing with an Exceed motor?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:48 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
I don't see anything at Hobbypartz that is equivalent to the little red motor. (I admit I did not do an exhaustive search)
The one that I looked at was only rated for 2S. I run 3s...

I have two CTH wings setup with this motor.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb82-3010-1700kv.html
This is basically equivalent to the motors recommended for the Grim Reaper.

There probably isn't a better motor for the Widowmaker than the little red motor...
If you are looking for something that will perform about like the little red motor, look for about about 50 grams, 200 watts and around 1500-1700kv swinging a 7x6 prop (i think the little red motor is a 370 class motor?)

What kind of flying do you want to do?
What's your skill level?
How fast do you want to go?
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
I don't see anything at Hobbypartz that is equivalent to the little red motor. (I admit I did not do an exhaustive search)
The one that I looked at was only rated for 2S. I run 3s...

I have two CTH wings setup with this motor.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb82-3010-1700kv.html
This is basically equivalent to the motors recommended for the Grim Reaper.

There probably isn't a better motor for the Widowmaker than the little red motor...
If you are looking for something that will perform about like the little red motor, look for about about 50 grams, 200 watts and around 1500-1700kv swinging a 7x6 prop (i think the little red motor is a 370 class motor?)

What kind of flying do you want to do?
What's your skill level?
How fast do you want to go?
Thanks for the quick feedback. I think this Exceed RC Rocket 2210-1650KV appears to be the money shot. The 2nd review gives almost identical numbers to what you recommend.

I've only been flying for 6 months. But my Funjet flight count is at 93. Building a Funjet Ultra right now. Thought I'd give a flying wing a try too. Trying to decide between a Pop Wing and a CTH. I've never covered a plane. So that'll be a bit of challenge. But I'd be up for giving it a go!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:22 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Yeah, that's the motor that I looked at. Only rated for 2S.

Don't let the covering scare you away, It's not that hard. The covering adds a great deal of strength to the airframe.
I've never flown the pop wings before but seen plenty of them fly at our field.
What you won't get with the pop wing is the community support that you get with a CTH wing. I'm a big CTH fan and I am still flying the first combat wing that I built, it's had hundreds of combat hits and likely will take a few hundred more. The Assassin is quite possibly the toughest RC plane on the market. If you plan on flying combat at all the Assassin beats the pop wing hands down. Even if you don't fly combat, the Assassin is such a solid machine it will have you trying things you might never try with another plane
The Widowmaker is about the same size as the Assassin. It won't take the punishment that an Assassin can, but it is a sweet flying plane that loves to glide.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:52 AM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
Left coast about three months ago I never covered a plane before and now I am going on my fourth wing from CTH. Get a 20 or cheaper iron and your in business. I also have a HK Bonsai and that I covered with left over from my Assassin, Roswell, and Grim reaper.

When I first maiden the Assassin I crashed hard my first 5 to 7 throws, a few of them were full throttle nose dives due to noob era. After I got her sorted all was well. Tell me what plane or wing can handle that abuse. Any other wing or plane I would be ordering a new plane or parts.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:36 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
I do have to agree. This plane is pretty darn strong. Last week I was doing low banking passes down the runway. The low wingtip was about 6 inches off the ground. Well, one pass I got a little too low. I caught the left wing tip and the plane smacked into the ground and cartwheeled at about 3/4 throttle. I just picked it up again and threw it in the air.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Subscribed
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
What would be a good motor from HobbyPartz.com for the Assassin/Widowmaker and also the Scythe?

I'm huge fan of Exceed Motors and they're usually my go-to motor choice for parkflyer upgrades. Anyone fly a Crash Test Hobby wing with an Exceed motor?
The best motor I've flown in the Assassin is the Motrolfly 2210/2200. With a 6x5.5 prop your looking at over 300 watts and 35a....it ROCKS
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
The best motor I've flown in the Assassin is the Motrolfly 2210/2200. With a 6x5.5 prop your looking at over 300 watts and 35a....it ROCKS
At $40, the Motorfly motors are entering MicroDan territory. I'm looking for a lower cost option from a US retailer - trying to avoid ordering from HobbyKing's Hong Kong warehouse as much as possible. But I may end up doing so if my stash of Exceed motors don't work out.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,402 Posts
The little red motor is available from us based sources, here's one, and I have seen others.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
here's another source http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind