SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2015, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
when its cold I lose control of my plane

It's happened with a Delta ray and a Corsair, both with safe technology. Both times in the 30s. I've tried with brand new transmitter batteries and charged warm batteries in the plane. It's flying and then it stops reacting to the controls. Any advise?
johnnyscottish is offline Find More Posts by johnnyscottish
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2015, 09:48 AM
Joined Nov 2014
546 Posts
30 degrees minus how ever much velocity the air cooling causes the the temperature to drop over the electronics could cause it to frost over easily. Especially since the motor creates heat so you're making the perfect environment for frost/ice.

When I say the motor is creating heat its quickly overwhelmed by the cold air but enough to create dew which will very quickly freeze over. Those conditions are pretty harsh for a model anything.
ApexpretadorGT is offline Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:33 PM
Be safe son - Fly low and slow
Joined Feb 2015
62 Posts
I was out in -30C today at Sunrise.
There was absolutely no wind and I had my best flight so far!

About the cold though; the elevator servo got really sluggish, I think the grease thickened. That servo is on top of the fuselage, the aileron ones are buried in foam and didn't slow down at all.
I made a foam cowling for the elevator servo and it worked fine but it's warmer now (-22C).

Johnny, the first thing you need to do is figure out what is failing.
If those 2 planes have different receivers then that points to your radio.
I'd try putting a plane inside and you stand outside in the cold controlling it through the window.
Mad_Mike is offline Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Old Feb 16, 2015, 07:53 PM
United States, FL, Auburndale
Joined Jan 2015
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT View Post
30 degrees minus how ever much velocity the air cooling causes the the temperature to drop over the electronics could cause it to frost over easily. Especially since the motor creates heat so you're making the perfect environment for frost/ice.

When I say the motor is creating heat its quickly overwhelmed by the cold air but enough to create dew which will very quickly freeze over. Those conditions are pretty harsh for a model anything.
Yup... WindChill. Figure if its 30deg F outside with a 5mph wind and the plane is going 40mph the plane itself and air leaking in could be -5 to 10deg F. Add condensation in the air and bam...Mpemba effect. Hot water freezing faster than cold water.
XRAYRON is online now Find More Posts by XRAYRON
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:07 PM
Joined Nov 2014
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAYRON View Post
Yup... WindChill. Figure if its 30deg F outside with a 5mph wind and the plane is going 40mph the plane itself and air leaking in could be -5 to 10deg F. Add condensation in the air and bam...Mpemba effect. Hot water freezing faster than cold water.
Yup, I would imagine that thrust really drops the temp down big time way passed freezing. There is always some moisture in the air no matter what, so it is the perfect recipe to get some nice frost on there. Now only if rc planes had carb heat lol
ApexpretadorGT is offline Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Feb 25, 2015, 07:41 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,255 Posts
Sorry gents wind velocity has no effect on temperature. Wind chill refers to how cold it feels.
Imagine that it's 35 deg over a lake and the wind is blowing 20 mph that lake won't freeze over.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 25, 2015, 07:47 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,255 Posts
You haven't mentioned your transmitter battery
Old Feb 26, 2015, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2015
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAYRON View Post
Yep, been there done that. Tuning a nitro prop plane in 20 degree weather feels the same as riding a motorcycle around without gloves on in the same temperatures (been there done that....too)
YokohamaSoGo is offline Find More Posts by YokohamaSoGo
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:44 AM
United States, FL, Auburndale
Joined Jan 2015
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
Sorry gents wind velocity has no effect on temperature. Wind chill refers to how cold it feels.
Imagine that it's 35 deg over a lake and the wind is blowing 20 mph that lake won't freeze over.
Glad you noticed but... a body of water is not effected by windchill but a wet-bulb thermometer is.

Say the lake is 31 Degrees and in zero wind it would take 30 hours to freeze.

Now add 20 MPH wind and the same lake freezes in 20 hours

Like when I freeze icecubes in my classy star wars ice tray... I put in really HOT water. Why? Because it will turn to solid ice faster than cold water or luke water.

If I put a small fan inside my freezer and blow the HOT water it freezes even faster. So if the temperature in my freezer never changed why would hot water and or water with wind freeze faster? Thermodynamics...
XRAYRON is online now Find More Posts by XRAYRON
Old Mar 01, 2015, 09:52 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,255 Posts
Wind will cause any heat layer to be blown away. But can not lower the temperature of an object below ambient temperature.
Wind chill effect only refers to how cold it feels on your skin.
Take a piece of metal stick it outside in the shade at 29 deg let it cool to ambient it's temp will be 29 deg. Wind picks up to 20 MPH temp of the metal stays 29 deg.
Look it up
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:04 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,255 Posts
A wet bulb thermometer measures the air temperature at saturation point. In other words at what temp will the humidity be at 100 %