HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 05:00 PM
United States, MS, Madison
Joined Jul 2013
15 Posts
Discussion
3dhs 60" yak 55 or SIG Somethin Xtra

I have been flying for about a year and it's time for me to step up from my balsa trainer into something I can grow into. I've been playing with some 30" 3d foamies and really enjoying it! I also spend quite a bit of time in a simulator.

I narrowed the decision down to these two because I currently have a 46size suppo motor and 100amp esc and both of these planes seem like my electronics would be a decent fit. I may want to upgrade the electronics when I am a better pilot but believe these should be fine for now. I'll be purchasing the ARF version because I don't have the time for building.

Which plane do you think I should go with and why? They both look good to me and from what I've read I'm sure I'll really enjoy either. The 3dhs is $80 more which is a bit of a turn off but everything I read about them is superb.

Thanks for any input into helping me make this decision!
mkmitchell is offline Find More Posts by mkmitchell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2005
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmitchell View Post
I have been flying for about a year and it's time for me to step up from my balsa trainer into something I can grow into. I've been playing with some 30" 3d foamies and really enjoying it! I also spend quite a bit of time in a simulator.

I narrowed the decision down to these two because I currently have a 46size suppo motor and 100amp esc and both of these planes seem like my electronics would be a decent fit. I may want to upgrade the electronics when I am a better pilot but believe these should be fine for now. I'll be purchasing the ARF version because I don't have the time for building.

Which plane do you think I should go with and why? They both look good to me and from what I've read I'm sure I'll really enjoy either. The 3dhs is $80 more which is a bit of a turn off but everything I read about them is superb.

Thanks for any input into helping me make this decision!
It depends on how serious you are about learning 3D. I owned a glow powered Something Xtra many years ago, it's a fun aerobatic plane but it isn't great at 3D. It will definitely get you started with the basics like knife edge and hovering.

I'm not familiar with the 3DHS Yak 60, but looking at the plane on the 3DHS website, it appears to be quite scale like with a not very tall fuselage. Probably a reasonable plane if you are want to have a plane that looks like the full size equivalent, but it won't fly as well.

As well as engine and ESC size, you should take into account what size batteries you have. Depending on how many batteries you buy, they can end up being a lot more expensive than the motor/ESC.

For me, the best small 3D planes are the EPP foamies from Skywing. Unfortunately they are hard to get in the US, I ordered mine from China. They make planes in 48" and 55" (you would want the 55") sizes. I have the Slick 55, and after about 400 flights, I can say it is fantastic, it does everything well. You would probably want to use much less than the specified control throws at first though.:

http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=463
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:41 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
3,254 Posts
All reports are that the 3DHS 60 Yak-55 is a great flying plane, as are all the planes they produce, among the best planes in the hobby. Should fly circles around a Sig Something Xtra.

But have to agree, if you are serious about learning 3D, EPP profile foamies are the way to go, not Skywing they break because they have a wood internal structure, they aren't that much more durable than normal balsa planes. I know I have one that crashed and the internal structure had to be pieced back together, not a fun job.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2013
15 Posts
Thanks for the information! I'll stick with profile EPP foamies for awhile until I save up a few coins for a nice 3DHS. I got to spend a little more time and realized that they have an Extra (57"), Edge (58") and Slick (59") that I could potentially use my current hardware in!

It's hard for my untrained eye to tell the difference between the Edge and the Slick.

For the time being I'll continue to beat up the EPPYak55, Superslow28, and whatever valuehobby epp I pickup.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:05 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
3,254 Posts
Check out the foamies at Twisted Hobbies, they set the standard in that category, I'd recommend getting the Crack Yak, I think it's reached "legendary" status at this point.

I have had 7 of the 3DHS planes. In the 60-ish size I have the 57 Extra. I also have the 51 Slick. Of the two, the 51 is easier to 3D and a better 3D trainer. I have also had the 42 Slick, a great small plane and easier on the wallet when learning 3D. The 59 Slick is no longer being sold. The 60 Yak-55 is a great plane but Yak-55's are not the way to learn 3D, they are much different than the edge/extra/slick style planes.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:00 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,645 Posts
I agree with the above comments. there are some planes that do 3D a little easier than the Yak, but the Yak does do some other non-3D things very well. It's mostly about what direction you want to head, if you want to focus on 3D specifically, etc. I will say though, if you just want to generally sports fly with a smidge of 3D every now and then until your feet are wet, the Yak is great... if that's the plane that tickles the visual fancy, go for it!

Wont find many votes for the SIG in this forum sandbox in general simply due to the aerobatics pedigree most people are playing with (3DHS, ExtremeFlight, Precision Aerobatics, OMP, etc etc).
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:41 PM
Joined Jul 2013
15 Posts
Thanks.

I'm still not sure which direction I'll head. Since I'm still new to flying I want to get something that I can fly at the field in a good amount of wind. That will be mostly casual relaxing flight but I would love occasional 3D. I think I'll follow the general consensus and take my time upgrading to a 3DHS, but will go that route instead of grabbing something else.

Meanwhile I'll pickup a twisted hobbys Crack Yak 32" for learning 3D and toying around in the back yard.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:08 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
943 Posts
Check out theprofilebrotherhood.com if you're really serious about flying 3D.
Are you ready to be enlightened?
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:09 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,803 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

I'm still not sure which direction I'll head. Since I'm still new to flying I want to get something that I can fly at the field in a good amount of wind. That will be mostly casual relaxing flight but I would love occasional 3D. I think I'll follow the general consensus and take my time upgrading to a 3DHS, but will go that route instead of grabbing something else.

Meanwhile I'll pickup a twisted hobbys Crack Yak 32" for learning 3D and toying around in the back yard.
I would suggest the 4315 Motrolfly with lightened fiberglass X mount. Not been able to find a better motor for the 60'' size class. runs cool, and produces plenty of power. and you can not beat Ken's CS. I would not trust a suppo in a balsa plane I cared about. also don't cheap out on servos. you will want something like the 5245 hitecs at least. the 225's I have seen too many failures with to recommend. I know some people have had good luck with them such as the KM, however everyone at my field seems to have problems with them. If the electronics are too much for you I suggest you step down a size and get better electronics. Trust me, it is worth it.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 29, 2015, 03:31 PM
Joined Jul 2013
15 Posts
Thanks for the hardware suggestions. I'll definitely have to purchase a smaller 3D plane to start with. When that time comes I'll most likely grab a used 3dhs from the forums here.

As you both mentioned, going with a smaller plane is easier on the pocketbook!
Old Feb 01, 2015, 05:56 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,803 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the hardware suggestions. I'll definitely have to purchase a smaller 3D plane to start with. When that time comes I'll most likely grab a used 3dhs from the forums here.

As you both mentioned, going with a smaller plane is easier on the pocketbook!
that it is, plus with a 48'' size plane the airframes are only around $150-$180. with a 60'' bird the airframe is around $300. For a new 3D pilot 48'' is the best size for your pocketbook.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict