SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:18 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,358 Posts
My original prop was horrible to balance and I ditched it quite early on. No matter what prop you use, you must balance it well. Vibration is never a friend to any flight controller. I run mine on 4s, so I use a 10X8 prop. If you are dragging the prop on landing, you should consider a folding prop of a similar size. You'll need a "prop stopper" for a pusher. Also set brake to ON. I've been lucky in that the prop has never dragged on the ground when landing. You must make sure you shut throttle off before touch down.
Since it's a rear motor pusher, you only need to make yourself a hard plywood mount and glue it in.
These guys sell all kinds of folding props, spinners, and prop stoppers.
http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-propellers.aspx
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2015, 02:18 AM
Joined Jan 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponpont View Post
Yes other people tell me that 4s will be overpower so i thinking about 3s 10A or 8A
I want it like a glider

Like i said, i use 3S 8000mah battery and i cruise around 5-7 amps depending on weather conditions. Overall cruise is like 6-7amps if there is a little windy.

Motor: Sunnysky 2820 800kv
Prop: 12x6" APC

I want to try with 2x8000mah just to se how it flies and the flying time but the total weight will be 3,4-3,5 kg then. I am a little afraid of how the wingspares will handle the extra 590g of weight.
TRIIDENT is online now Find More Posts by TRIIDENT
Old Mar 02, 2015, 04:30 AM
Joined Oct 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
My original prop was horrible to balance and I ditched it quite early on. No matter what prop you use, you must balance it well. Vibration is never a friend to any flight controller. I run mine on 4s, so I use a 10X8 prop. If you are dragging the prop on landing, you should consider a folding prop of a similar size. You'll need a "prop stopper" for a pusher. Also set brake to ON. I've been lucky in that the prop has never dragged on the ground when landing. You must make sure you shut throttle off before touch down.
Since it's a rear motor pusher, you only need to make yourself a hard plywood mount and glue it in.
These guys sell all kinds of folding props, spinners, and prop stoppers.
http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-propellers.aspx
Many thanks Xviper!!

I'll take a look at these folding propellers and see if I find ideas for wooden mount .
odnanref is online now Find More Posts by odnanref
Old Mar 03, 2015, 05:54 PM
Joined Apr 2009
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odnanref View Post
Hi Guys,

This weekend I rebuilt my fx79 and I went to see how it flew. I had some problems and I wonder know if tha also happened to you. I am using the PNP version, motor 950 kv and the original propeller 12x3.8. When apply throttle for tacking off I noticed that the plane was vibrating a lot, but as usual. Within 10 seconds of flight autopilot goes crazy (MyFlyDream), the artificial horizon pointing me that the plane was turning 180 degrees and it was flying level. I thought the AP would have fallen so I decided to land to put right again.

Upon landing propeller touched the wet ground and broke the motor mount! propeller left intact ... When opening the dome, I note that the autopilot was not dislodged. My conclusion is that it may be due to the vibrations of the aircraft, what do you think about it?

Moreover, any of you has replaced the motor mount for a harder one? I think I'll also change the original propeller, any suggestion ?
Was ur prop balanced ? If ur prop is not balanced it will vibrate the crap out of the autopilot. U could try a different prop 12x6 12x5 11x6 etc and make sure its balanced. As for ur motor mount they sell them at hobby wireless or u could try the aluminium one that suits the FX61 thats sold on on ebay, would definitely be alot stronger. It "should" fit the buffalo. Both the Buffalo and Phantoms stock motor mounts look identical to me.
chris_p82 is offline Find More Posts by chris_p82
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM
Joined Oct 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_p82 View Post
Was ur prop balanced ? If ur prop is not balanced it will vibrate the crap out of the autopilot. U could try a different prop 12x6 12x5 11x6 etc and make sure its balanced. As for ur motor mount they sell them at hobby wireless or u could try the aluminium one that suits the FX61 thats sold on on ebay, would definitely be alot stronger. It "should" fit the buffalo. Both the Buffalo and Phantoms stock motor mounts look identical to me.
Thanks Chris,

No, my prop wasnt balanced . I will try with 12x6 APC, I have read that it is the option that bear most with 3S, even one with 4s hehehe, also I will try with 11x6 Apc for 4S. Of course, first of all I will balanc the new prop. Moreover I will also use a dampened bed for autopilot.

I have not clear yet what to do with the motor mount, in hobbywireless charge me $ 13 for freight to Spain so do not know if I'm going to try some plywood mount. I have to study how to do it, I'm a little noob with this heheh
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odnanref View Post
No, my prop wasnt balanced .
I have not clear yet what to do with the motor mount, in hobbywireless charge me $ 13 for freight to Spain so do not know if I'm going to try some plywood mount. I have to study how to do it, I'm a little noob with this heheh
Remembering just how badly balanced the stock prop was, that was probably the biggest mistake. It was likely enough to rattle the motor loose and when the prop hit the ground there wasn't enough strength for it to rotate out of the way.
On a pusher like this, the motor doesn't have to be mounted rock solid. All the propulsion forces push against the mount and it only has to be strong enough to hold fast when the prop drags momentarily on the ground on landing. Just make a plywood disc (1/4" thick) about the size of the stock mount and epoxy it over top of the stock mount if you don't want to dig it out of the foam. Drill a big hole in the center of the disc and a slot for the wires to go through. Use blind nuts and bolts if you're worried that screws may pull out.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Today, 04:48 AM
Joined Oct 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Remembering just how badly balanced the stock prop was, that was probably the biggest mistake. It was likely enough to rattle the motor loose and when the prop hit the ground there wasn't enough strength for it to rotate out of the way.
On a pusher like this, the motor doesn't have to be mounted rock solid. All the propulsion forces push against the mount and it only has to be strong enough to hold fast when the prop drags momentarily on the ground on landing. Just make a plywood disc (1/4" thick) about the size of the stock mount and epoxy it over top of the stock mount if you don't want to dig it out of the foam. Drill a big hole in the center of the disc and a slot for the wires to go through. Use blind nuts and bolts if you're worried that screws may pull out.

Many thanks for the instructions, I was so lost on how to make wooden mount, now I think I got clearer . I just ordered an APC 12x6 propeller, when I get it, the first thing I will do is balance it hehehe. This weekend I'll get to work on the construction of the plywood, when I have made I will upload a few photos for you can give me your opinion, once again thank you for sharing your wisdom with me xviper