HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,875 Posts
Help!
Searching for a EPP Racer Plane...

Hi Guys,

The last couple weeks I have been reading up a lot on RC Race Airplanes and wonder if someone has some ideas.

I decided to go the EPP Foamy direction and looking to get something that is similar to the Split 280 just with larger wingsize (1200mm). The Split 280 is a very old (2002?) EPP foamy from Hobby Lobby and it really looks sporty and nice. From what I was reading, it handles extremely well.

I don't mind ordering the different foam parts and put it together but before I go that direction, I would like to see if someone has some resources to buy a EPP foam kit that is similar to the Split 280 or is designed as a RC Racer.

Again, I am looking to get something in the 1100mm - 1300mm wing-size.

Thanks,

Andy
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I have/had well over 100 EPP planes, a couple of Split's as well as many other Potensky, FreeAir, Hacker, MSComposit, etc planes.
The Split really wasn't a speed plane, more of a parkflyer.
The EPP just flexes too much under high speeds.
So I don't think there's much to be found in the 1100mm up, wing size in EPP as a speed plane.
Hacker has a EPP 1000mm plane with a full fuselage like the Split, that would probably move perty fast powered right. It has a symmetrical wing.
You could also take a SuperZoom XL (1200mm) and mod it a bit stiffer for a faster plane, but its a profile fuselage, so you'd need to add to the fuselage to pack the electronics in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hacker-Extra...item2a1953de32
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,977 Posts
Andy,
I agree with what Butch said above.

If you're racing agains other folks with EPP, the all-out fastest model might not be the most important thing...but if you want speed, you might consider looking at planes made from other materials.

My current favorite is the Multiplex Dogfighter. It's made from Multiplex's proprietary version of EPO foam... It's about the size you're looking for, handles incredibly well...goes right around 100mph stock with plenty of room to modify for more speed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382707

Good luck!!!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,875 Posts
Howdy,

Thanks guys. Yeah speed is not important .. I was looking into building my own prototype with Depron - just for the fun :-) ... I have to look into the Dogfighter - that looks pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
skycat

Something else to consider is the multiplex skycat. Its molded sold epp. And very stiff with a carbon fiber arrow in the wing and one in the fuse. If you can find one unbuilt it is a very nice. And reasonably quick flyer on 700 watts and a 3s 2650 battery
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa