SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:33 PM
East coast of Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
55 Posts
info on irvine earlybird?

Hello all!.
Not such a good day today been flying an Alpha 180 1.8m motor/glider and today the wings snapped mid-flight.Wasn't even flying very fast.Wings folded and it came straight down from about 100 feet.It's a write off so is my brand new speed 600 race motor that only had about an hours flying time!.
Bag o' ****e!.

The guy in the model shop(not really a shop,he just has a few things in his house).Has a Irvine early bird.From what I know it is very similar to what I had.
Anyone got any info?.

Although I am considering getting something with ailerons has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
thesenator is offline Find More Posts by thesenator
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2003, 08:15 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,518 Posts
My return to RC flying after a 25 year break was with an Early Bird!

The model flies very nicely once aloft, BUT the supplied 540 direct-drive motor is a cheap and nasty item, which gets too hot trying to deliver enough power for the plane to maintain height.

After a couple of weeks flying the model around at hedge-height, I bit the bullet and fitted a S600 motor, a 2.8:1 gearbox and 12x10 prop. This upgrade transformed the models climbout completely, and made the model a joy to fly.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Aug 15, 2003, 02:36 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,243 Posts
I had the left wing of my Early Bird tear off in a pretty shallow dive which almost ruined my 45 2.8:1 gearbox and 8.4v Speed 600!!

This is my second Early Bird, and it's quite a nice beginners electric glider. The first Early Bird suffered from a jammed rudder at about 200ft - it was stuck on full right rudder and it spiralled out of control into a dense low-lying forest where it was mostly shredded (Smashed up Early Bird ). Now that my second one has also been destroyed I'm looking for something new to challenge my flying skills. The Early Bird is a good beginners models, but I feel I've pushed the rudder/elevator combination to the edge of it's abilities, and I'm now going for something with ailerons as well as a rudder and elevator.

After a lot of searching around and asking on this board, I've decided upon the Protect Unlimited 600 (www.protech.be/html/a3.html - second from the bottom) as my next glider

I would recommend ailerons only if you feel your flying skills are up to it - I've had experience with ailerons from a slope soarer which I started learning to fly on, but whatever you get I'd recommend you strengthen the wings with carbon fibre - have a read of this thead that I started on that subject!

http://rcgroups.com/forums//showthre...5&pagenumber=1
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:25 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined May 2003
448 Posts
I have an Early Bird and it has been very robust for me but I agree about the stock 540 motor - I replaced mine with a 625 race motor and it is much better. I have smashed it in a few times and always been able to repair it.

The fuz is almost identical to the Alpha 180 but it uses bands rather than bolts for the wings but most of the parts are interchangeable. I am rebuilding my wing at the moment due to a poorly performing battery pack letting me down at launch (and my slow reactions).

Once up the Early Bird is a nice machine - I will keep mine when I go for a more sophisticated glider as our club holds regular AULD competitions for Alpha 180 class machines (I came second on Monday - not bad for a beginner - BIG battery)

Graham
eSmasher is offline Find More Posts by eSmasher
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:10 AM
East coast of Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
55 Posts
Hey Guys.
Thanks a million for the replies!.
I think I'll go and get it.I was getting the hang of the 180 so I think continuing with something very similar makes sense.
I think the rubber bands maybe better.I've got a feeling the dowel and bolt that held on the wing may have had something to do with my wings folding!.
Think I'll get a S600 BB geared 2.8:1
And try out a 12x10 prop as well.
So Basically the same as Tim.

Thanks again for your help.
Be back flying again tomorrow wuhu!!
Old Aug 15, 2003, 05:24 PM
East coast of Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
55 Posts
anyone know??

What the C of G should be for the earlybird?
She's ready to Rock.Sitting on my kitchen table as we speak!
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:02 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,211 Posts
Is there a website for the earlybird?
What's its flying weight and wingspan?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Aug 16, 2003, 02:49 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,243 Posts
The C of G is mentioned in the instructions - it's a certain distance back from the leading edge of the wing ...

Here's the Irvine page on the Early Bird ... not much info given though!
http://www.irvineltd.com/products/ai...EarlyBird.html

You'll love the Early Bird - that's why I went back for a second one! But just treat it gently or you'll find the wings folding on you again!!

I'd also recommend you read the thread I started on how to prevent wings from folding:
http://rcgroups.com/forums//showthre...5&pagenumber=1
and ask how you could strengthen the Early Bird's wing - even if you're not going to be pulling sharp moves in it, it's nice to have a stronger wing for safety!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:38 AM
United Kingdom, Holbeach Saint Johns
Joined Mar 2005
409 Posts
Hello all - i have just brought a cheap 2nd hand Early Bird but when i power the motor up it cuts out at half throttle, any idea's why ?
RC-JG is offline Find More Posts by RC-JG