New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by LimitingFactor
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined May 2010
423 Posts
Just as a matter of interest does anyone know the weight of the two bits of lead in the nose? Thinking about putting a bigger motor in there and of course have lost my weighing scales.
LimitingFactor is offline Find More Posts by LimitingFactor
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
6,037 Posts
Guess what LimitingFactor, I dug out behind my motor mount looking for weight and I found none. The new versions must not come with them. I decided to dremel out behind the motor and make a cooling exit for the back of the motor and it worked out.
I plugged in all my radio to set my trims and unplugged it. The next time I plugged in I got nothing from the receiver. So I do the usual checks and notice the 10amp Castle ESC isn't lit up as usual so I unplugged it and checked the connections. I plugged it back in and still nothing so I start futzing with the wires and it comes back to life. OK bad ESC. Go to another plane and dig out another Castle 10 amp ESC and plug it in--NOTHING. So I start twisting the connections on the ESC "a little "back and forth and now it works---WHAT? So I look into the ESC and notice if I move the wires on the 3 wire side that goes to the receiver I can see SPARKS!!!! I peeled back the plastic cover and what a hunk of Junk solder job they did. The first one that didn't work SAME THING!!@#!@#@. I trusted those things in all my planes except my trainers and it looks like they have a defect.
I now switched to a Turnigy 5amp. Seems OK. Now almost my entire fleet is grounded because I don't trust the Castle ESC anymore. They can be fixed with a good solder job, but I can't believe that the two I tested failed the twist test.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen