Find More Posts by dll932
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
337 Posts
Discussion
Need a locksmith? Don't look in Google

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/lo...google-search/

"Google search results are being gamed by fake locksmithing services whose primary goal is to scam a customer into paying as much as possible."

This is something our industry has been dealing with for at least a decade in one form or another. People will pick whoever quotes the lowest price over the phone. Once the guy gets there the price skyrockets. We call them "Gypsies" (no disrespect to the Roma people intended). They really hurt us, both economically and in reputation.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Joined Aug 2011
828 Posts
"Fake locksmithing" ??

Hell I thought that was all of the smith's MO!
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
"Fake locksmithing" ??

Hell I thought that was all of the smith's MO!
Next time you need one, call the gypsies.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Forced to conform.
Joined May 2010
446 Posts
I ran into this a while back trying to get a replacement key for a Lexus. The quotes I got were super high.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by robogizzard
Joined May 2014
59 Posts
I only used a locksmith once, and was very impressed. With his prison tattoos, a file and a pair of vice grips, he turned a blank in to a working key that starts the car in about 5 minutes.

$50 well spent.
robogizzard is offline Find More Posts by robogizzard
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogizzard View Post
I only used a locksmith once, and was very impressed. With his prison tattoos, a file and a pair of vice grips, he turned a blank in to a working key that starts the car in about 5 minutes.

$50 well spent.
That's called impressioning. It's a basic skill-anyone calling themselves a locksmith better be able to do that.
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
I ran into this a while back trying to get a replacement key for a Lexus. The quotes I got were super high.
Autos are getting rediculous. Many 'smiths don't even want to deal with them anymore. Equipment and inventory are VERY costly and people don't want to pay what it's worth.
Old Today, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by srt8madness
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
I got stuck about an hour away from home, barely any phone battery, CC only. Called some locksmithing call center(not as advertised). They sent out a guy in an unmarked car with an airbag that pried the door open, and used some suction to pop the lock(battery was dead too). $70 bucks well spent
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Today, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by robogizzard
Joined May 2014
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
I got stuck about an hour away from home, barely any phone battery, CC only. Called some locksmithing call center(not as advertised). They sent out a guy in an unmarked car with an airbag that pried the door open, and used some suction to pop the lock(battery was dead too). $70 bucks well spent
In the right neighborhoods you can get a woman to do that for $7, on average.
robogizzard is offline Find More Posts by robogizzard
Old Today, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by JonnyReb
Defying Gravity..on occasion.
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2013
292 Posts
I locked my keys in my truck a few months ago while at a favorite mexican restaurant picking up a takeout order. I was bringing back food for the whole family and didn't want to take the time to call a locksmith out... I picked up a pipe wrench out of the bed and broke out the rear sliding window..crawled through just barely and unlocked the door. Got my keys and wallet and walked inside to grab the order. When I stepped inside I noticed every eye in the place was on me . I paid a nervous hispanic fella and walked out with my order. I was barely to my truck when the first of 3 cop cars slid into the parking lot. It then dawned on me that everyone watching from the restaurant had seen me break into a vehicle, pull out a wallet and walk inside . Luckily no guns were drawn and I wasnt tased or beaten to the ground but I did have a bit of explaining to do.

Took so long to get out of there I shoulda just called the locksmith. Ended up costing me 2 hours at a glass shop and 250ish for the new glass. Am still finding shards in the carpet to...lesson learned.
JonnyReb is offline Find More Posts by JonnyReb
Old Today, 12:13 PM
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyReb View Post
I locked my keys in my truck a few months ago while at a favorite mexican restaurant picking up a takeout order. I was bringing back food for the whole family and didn't want to take the time to call a locksmith out... I picked up a pipe wrench out of the bed and broke out the rear sliding window..crawled through just barely and unlocked the door. Got my keys and wallet and walked inside to grab the order. When I stepped inside I noticed every eye in the place was on me . I paid a nervous hispanic fella and walked out with my order. I was barely to my truck when the first of 3 cop cars slid into the parking lot. It then dawned on me that everyone watching from the restaurant had seen me break into a vehicle, pull out a wallet and walk inside . Luckily no guns were drawn and I wasnt tased or beaten to the ground but I did have a bit of explaining to do.

Took so long to get out of there I shoulda just called the locksmith. Ended up costing me 2 hours at a glass shop and 250ish for the new glass. Am still finding shards in the carpet to...lesson learned.
Even busting a small window tends to be costly. Also, AAA (or CAA in Canada ) will reimburse most if not all auto lock expenses for emergencies.
Old Today, 12:41 PM
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
337 Posts
This story may or may not be true but it doesn't matter : A guy had a few too many at a bar and figured it was time to head home. He walked out to his pickup, but was unable to find his keys (door was locked, of course ). Being a man of action, he grabbed the cutting torch out of the truck bed and started to work cutting out the door skin. Just then, a buddy ran out of the bar and hollered "hey, you left your keys on the bar!"