Old Jan 07, 2016, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by dedStik
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,516 Posts
Rant
Day 1 or 1 1/2

Well folks, Ive smoked for going on 25 years now yesterday out of the blue I decided to advance my quit plan in a random moment I looked at the 1/2 pack of smokes I had and thought, "this is it no more". Last smoke was 5 PM.

I've tried quitting via:
Cold turkey <- a pain but I did manage to go 4 days without smoking
Chantix <- worse than cold turkey for me
Patches and or nicotine gum
Vaping <- kept smoking and smoked more actually

Well for this time, I'm using a patch and vaping with zero nicotine juice.

My plan is 2 weeks on the patch and vape, after 2 weeks I'll lower my nicotine level and attempt to cut out the vaping totally, 2 weeks after that I'd like to cut out the nicotine.

Woke up this morning and didn't have the urge to pop out of bed and run outside to smoke.

I feel good about quitting this time.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
Old Jan 07, 2016, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,316 Posts
Ill smoke to that
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jan 07, 2016, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by Sherlock
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
472 Posts
Good for you! It will be challenging but totally worth it of course.
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
Old Jan 07, 2016, 10:09 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
Good for you! It will be challenging but totally worth it of course.
For the most part I wouldn't say Ive enjoyed the habit its just been something Ive done, increasingly lately I feel as though Im a slave to it and I don't like that feeling. Ive also begun noticing ill health effects from it bp, breathing, reduced stamina and lower energy levels.

Once the lungs and heart have a few weeks to become re-accustomed to living without smoke, I plan on running to build the lungs and heart back up.

I know I'll never be 100% again but if I can get anything better than what it is now, I'll take it.
Old Jan 07, 2016, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by scottrc78
Joined Feb 2012
286 Posts
About the only way to quit is to just do it at random like you are doing, no planed dates or planned programs. I feel that just induces the need more and failure happens within a few months. I quite by just not buying a can of snuff when I needed one. Just out of the blue. fought the withdraws pretty easy, but it got hard in the third month and took a lot of will power and support from friends and family, except on member who kept offering me dips after dinner. The hardest part is when being around others who still do it. The whiff of a fresh lit cig after eating or just getting up or when someone takes a dip and then offers you one is REALLY hard to ignore, but you have to do it. Its like hitting your thumb with a hammer, you just got to bear with the pain of wanting that instant relief and wait for it to subside, Its all mental. You can do this. Many of us have.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old Jan 07, 2016, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by scottrc78
Joined Feb 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
For the most part I wouldn't say Ive enjoyed the habit its just been something Ive done, increasingly lately I feel as though Im a slave to it and I don't like that feeling. Ive also begun noticing ill health effects from it bp, breathing, reduced stamina and lower energy levels.

Once the lungs and heart have a few weeks to become re-accustomed to living without smoke, I plan on running to build the lungs and heart back up.

I know I'll never be 100% again but if I can get anything better than what it is now, I'll take it.
That was what really helped me to quite. I would do a cost / benefit though every time I got the urge. The benefit was that instant relief I got from nicotine. The cost was later I would feel out of energy, bleeding gums and pain, the disgusting feeling of putting my fingers in my mouth, the bad smell and dirty feeling, and the though of paying $6.75 after work for another can just for a few minutes of relief followed by a few hours of discomfort.

Its been five years since I quite and I'm a lot healthier and happier. I still get urges, but I am conditioned to deal with them.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old Jan 07, 2016, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by thunder1
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,715 Posts
When I quit after 15 years of smoking, I had to focus on two things.

First, the Tobacco companies all know the smoking cigarettes puts you in an early grave. Yet they steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that fact. They are willingly contributing to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people a year. Beyond that, they tried to suppress the information which shows cigarettes kill. Use that to generate a mental image of them laughing at your death, all the way to the bank.

Secondly, look at everyone in your life who depends on you. Form the mental image of them going on without you after the lung cancer or heart disease takes you away from them. Think about how they will grieve your loss, all for putting a stinky, tobacco company manipulated, chemical laden, product in your mouth and inhaling the toxic fumes dozens of times a day which does absolutely nothing for your well-being and everything to try and put you in an early grave.

When the cravings hit, focus on the mental images you formed and it will carry you through. The power to quit is all yours. Use it.

Please quit smoking. Do it for them, if not for yourself.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jan 07, 2016, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Random Pic #23982
Joined May 2005
457 Posts
Keep it up man.

And maybe put the smoke money in a jar. Might pay for a treat in a month or two.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jan 07, 2016, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by Buran
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
730 Posts
Good for you Ded; you know you have support here.

My dad was a 3-pack a day guy and after several cancer deaths in the family, he quit. He said you could do it if you :really" want to.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Jan 08, 2016, 12:16 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,516 Posts
About to head to bed, wanted to update.

Still using the vape pipe with zero nic and a nicotine patch, had to pick up gum for my jaw to do something. I guess I had an urge and opted to chew gum.

Today is over and no cigs had. It wasn't bad.

On a side note when I got home from work noticed a horrid smell. Never smelled it in the house before.
Old Jan 08, 2016, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by rockyboy2
United States, KY, Cadiz
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Well folks, Ive smoked for going on 25 years now yesterday out of the blue I decided to advance my quit plan in a random moment I looked at the 1/2 pack of smokes I had and thought, "this is it no more". Last smoke was 5 PM.

I've tried quitting via:
Cold turkey <- a pain but I did manage to go 4 days without smoking
Chantix <- worse than cold turkey for me
Patches and or nicotine gum
Vaping <- kept smoking and smoked more actually

Well for this time, I'm using a patch and vaping with zero nicotine juice.

My plan is 2 weeks on the patch and vape, after 2 weeks I'll lower my nicotine level and attempt to cut out the vaping totally, 2 weeks after that I'd like to cut out the nicotine.

Woke up this morning and didn't have the urge to pop out of bed and run outside to smoke.

I feel good about quitting this time.
you seem like a smart guy , to smart to smoke , you will feel soooooo much better , not just your lungs but YOU , your in control not your emotions , i watched my best friend (who smoked like a stack) die from lung cancer , iit was a life changing thing , made quitting easy . YOU CAN DO IT ! YOUR TO SMART TO SMOKE ! (tobacco anyway , nothing wrong with a left handed smoke once in a while )
rockyboy2 is online now Find More Posts by rockyboy2
Old Jan 08, 2016, 04:12 AM
Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,500 Posts
dedStik,

Good on ya! Give it up, my friend!

My parents, particularly my mother, were heavy smokers. By heavy I mean up to 120 / day (in stressful times - like a thunderstorm outside). We use to have to go to the shop before school to buy her cigarettes! Consequently, I don't smoke.

It'll take a little while, but you'll be amazed at how things taste and smell!

P.S. That horrible smell is tobacco. And it sticks to everything - as I find out every Monday when I go help out a school friend who is a smoker.
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 08, 2016, 04:32 AM
Find More Posts by rocketdoctor
Joined Nov 2015
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
When I quit after 15 years of smoking, I had to focus on two things.

First, the Tobacco companies all know the smoking cigarettes puts you in an early grave. Yet they steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that fact. They are willingly contributing to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people a year. Beyond that, they tried to suppress the information which shows cigarettes kill. Use that to generate a mental image of them laughing at your death, all the way to the bank.

I smoked for 35 years, gave it up 3 years and 7 months ago. But I don't blame anyone for my habit, I did it willingly, and with full knowledge of the consequences. It seems you're blaming someone for your habit for simply bringing it to market.

I could say the same for booze, I don't drink anymore either.

People need to quit pointing the fingers at others blaming them for "making" them do something. Take responsibility for your own decisions, because it wasn't the big tobacco companies that had a gun to your head to puff that ciggie.

There are lots of things that will kill you, but when you choose to buy and use the product, knowing the consequences, it's on you. Don't blame the market for your bad decisions.
rocketdoctor is offline Find More Posts by rocketdoctor
Old Jan 08, 2016, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by Azwethinkweiz
can cut it
United States, OK, Broken Arrow
Joined Dec 2014
40 Posts
Isn't that what he was saying?

I read it as him saying he didn't want to continue contributing to such a product, its producers and the consequences of that product. That sounds like taking responsibility for his actions. Actually, his entire post sounded like taking responsibility Imo.
---------------------------

Good luck to you dedstik! I plan to join the quitters club soon myself.
Azwethinkweiz is online now Find More Posts by Azwethinkweiz
Last edited by Azwethinkweiz; Jan 08, 2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Forgot bout dedStik
Old Jan 08, 2016, 11:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,516 Posts
Another update,.same regimine and still smoke free at the end of day 2.

Today food began to taste differently.