Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
Build Log
Fun-Key MH-6 Rapid Insertion

Yesterday, I took a large part of the day and devoted it to repairing the mechanics from the ill-fated TOW Defender. Aside from the obvious bent boom, stripped main gear, and missing links, the chassis was not in rough shape. I went on a road trip during rush hour (why does it seem that by the time I have everything organized, it's late in the afternoon??) on a Friday to gather some parts needed for the repair. I had some in my parts box but no matter what is on hand, there is more needed.

This build will be slightly different in that I will mount the tail servo out on the boom like it has been done so many times before. I have a chart of boom diameters for the most common helicopters out there and that lead me to the servo mounts for the Swift NX. The age old problem of tensioning and adjusting a belt drive with a frame mounted servo will disappear with this conversion. The pushrod will be from an Align 600 cut in half, sized to the appropriate length and then silver soldered together.

I have some shots of the original and the body that will become converted from a brand new TD body to a standard 500. I have a brand new 500D nose so I will not need to reshape the TOW sight area or fill in the radar dome cut-out. In the meantime, I will keep flying as long as the weather holds with my latest acquisition, the 40th Anniversary Heli-Baby. (I have the first prototype and my wife is buying me the first production Heli-Baby kit off the line so her Christmas will be pretty awesome). I hope to be close to installation before the snow flies. Take care

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2015, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by justy g
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,218 Posts
Don,
What mechanics are you using for this build? I thought it was modified Mikado before?

Jus
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:13 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
Yes, it will be the mechanics from the TOW Defender, which were Mikado. They are a few hours away from being ready for installation.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
604 Posts
I just went to that very same museum in West Chester a few weeks ago - awesome stuff!
getsuyoubi is online now Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Nov 24, 2015, 07:22 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
This isn't a big update but an important one if you are planning to boom mount a servo rather than leave it in the fuselage. There are advantages to both ways but when you have a belt, the main advantage is that the servo pushrod does not need to be tweaked if you are forced to lengthen the boom as the belt slowly stretches. The boom mount is one from K&S Co., Japan, a company that I have not seen parts from for many years. I ordered it from Leisure Tech and to my surprise, it will fit 20 to 22mm tubes using the included shims for booms smaller than 22mm. I used styrene plastic tube for the guides as there is very little strain on them. The guides are held on with electrician's tape and I got that little trick from my Heli-Baby. The wire is a bone stock Align 550 pushrod and I didn't even need to shorten the rod at all. I envisioned cutting a 600 rod and then silver soldering it at a shorter length as I don't have dies to rethread the ends. What luck. Take care.

Don
Old Nov 25, 2015, 04:18 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
With the tail controls in place and the servo adjusted and ready, it was time for the blades. I had a full set ready for this build but using another chassis. The blades were pre-selected and within .5gr. of each other with most weighing in at 133gr. I took the two remaining blades and brought them to within .2gr of the main group and set them up on the head last night. I am planning a couple of test flights tomorrow so if the snow holds off, I will be a very happy camper. I plan to have this ready to fly (but far from final finished) by the end of March. Two pilots have been ordered along with new uniforms to match the Panama area. I hope I can find enough external crew to match. Take care.

Don
Old Nov 26, 2015, 08:26 AM
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,218 Posts
Going in the right direction... Enjoy your testing
Old Nov 29, 2015, 03:25 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
I picked up more than the pilots, I picked up nearly an entire chalk team. I am finding it very hard to get the right outfits and worse, information and pictures from the mission that the helicopter was on so I might need to just make up a drop team for the look. I am moving towards dressing the team from Operation Gothic Serpent as I can easily find those (I have four already, lol) and the helicopter was perfect for the period. So far, here are the pictures of the crew. Take care.

Don

PS: The pilot is holding a rifle as there is no control system for him to grab a hold of at the moment, lol.
Old Dec 02, 2015, 12:10 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
This fellow used to be the pilot in the 500MD TOW Defender. He had a different outfit on then and now will take his place on the outside benches of the MH-6. I have one more to suit up and prepare plus one more crew for the interior. I am waiting for another outfit to arrive in the mail over the next week or so. It will be quite a model once I actually get at it, lol. I have a few too many things going on this week. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 02, 2015, 05:36 AM
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,218 Posts
So how was the test flight? I take it the Skookum was back to it's old self?
Old Dec 02, 2015, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by bandetlol
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Mar 2015
471 Posts
that helicopter looks funkey
bandetlol is online now Find More Posts by bandetlol
Old Dec 02, 2015, 02:38 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
LOL. I forgot to give a flight report. Two test flights went perfect. I forgot how easily that five blade head lifts just the chassis. Now, the third flight was a different story. The exact same thing happened to the chassis that destroyed the TOW Defender. This time, the difference was where it happened. About a foot off the ground, the cyclic went full down and the chassis hit the soft ground hard enough to break the front landing skid strut. As well, the rotor spooled down before impact.The Skookum was flashing red yet the satellites remained lit. This helicopter is bound DSM2 so any loss of signal should have shown in the remotes. I wiggled all the remote wires and one began to flash. Backing up a bit, after I approached the helicopter to inspect it, I heard the swash do the cycling series it does when it is reset. When I looked, the blades were zero pitch and ready for spool-up. So what it seems happened in Florida was a system reset. With DSMX, the reconnecting is a matter of seconds but with DMS2, it can take a number of seconds, even as many as 15. So what now is the cause is a bad remote receiver wire and not a popped link or the swash driver loosening off. There is only a bit of broken insulation at the connection of the black wire and when you tug on it, there is no movement out of the little connector. It is not the first time that a bad wire has caused resetting of a receiver and a place in Michigan was recommended to me for a much more robust wire and one that has better, more flexible insulation on the wire. I have only dealt with the company once at IRCHA in Muncie, but they have a very good reputation, it seems. Experience RC is the company. I have already replaced the wire and I might be able to make it out one more time before the snow flies as a final test. At least the Heli-Baby flew the best it ever has. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 02, 2015, 07:21 PM
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,218 Posts
I would definitely download these flights and send of those files to Skookum, they will be able to troubleshoot the problem.

I had a simalar problem ,( red flashing in Hover testing ) which was down to a faulty Li-Fe battery, which fortunately caused no crashes.
Old Dec 02, 2015, 07:52 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,735 Posts
I only had vibration logging on so there is no way to get to the bottom, definitively. I feel very confident that the wire was the cause of both accidents but there will still be more test flights and now the full flight logging has been turned back on. I am also still waiting for a 720BE to be either replaced or repaired for the next Heli-Baby. I will eventually have all back up and running but it is going to take a bit of time. I can always call upon a Skookum 360 that is working flawlessly in my Logo 5003D, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 02, 2015, 11:00 PM
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,218 Posts
I only run a 540 with no vibration logging . You download you files and email to Skookum for investigation.

Definitely worth an email to Alvin.. He's very good to deal with.