HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 18, 2015, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by davidjensen
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,822 Posts
Last weekend at the Last Chance Aerotow I had my Blanik, which has telemetry, and it reported I detached from tow at near 1800' and within a few minutes I got into a hat sucker and went to 2606' AGL. It was a tiny speck and I bailed out of the thermal. Great flying glider.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2015, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Joined Jan 2007
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave View Post
Guys,

I am getting ready to re-maiden my Blanik and was wondering after these have been flying for awhile what everybody has settled in on for CG. I have gone through the posts in this thread and have found everything from the original 20mm to 80mm. My first day of flying the plane originally only lasted two flights so I was not able to sort it out to know if I had right. I have it set right now at 75mm. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat
In testing I went as far back as 90mm, aircraft flew ok however would not recover from a spin. C of G at 20-30mm from the LE the aircraft recovered instantly from a spin.

I know you have to ad more nose weight (4lbs approx) to reach the recommended C of G however it's is there for a reason, plus teh extra pound you save doesn't really add much to the models performance, it actually likes the weight.

You can run further back that recommended if you don't plan on doing aerobatics howevr personally I feel the forward position makes It a better handling aircraft,

C of G is like salt, add to taste however too much will hurt you :-).
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 28, 2015, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by SteveR
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,338 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed at the usable CG range of this sailplane. We're talking in the range of 3". Is there something about the configuration of this plane, wing plan, etc. that will tolerate such a broad range?

TIA,

Steve
SteveR is online now Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Oct 28, 2015, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by pmccleave
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,207 Posts
I ended up moving my CG further Forward than my original setting after reading Len's comments and am somewhere around 60mm now and my plane recovers very well from a spin. I did not try any Flat or Inverted Flat Spins but did spin it on multiple occasions and it recovered very quickly. Not at all doubting what has been said above by Team Horizon just giving my two cents worth after putting my Blanik through the paces at our last Aerotow. Of course a lot of my Aerobatics look more like a Drunk Pilot Routine than real Aerobatics.

Thanks,

Pat
pmccleave is online now Find More Posts by pmccleave