Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2007, 12:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Discussion
Got Wings Can Fly (Xtwin related)

I have always been amazed by flying wings until one day I have decided to get some plan for one and gut one of my xtwin. The plan that I have choosen is a "chicky" flying wing (hope i got the name correct).

Sadly my modded classic trainer's has the strongest motor RPM. Thus, the innards are transferred to the wings that I made.

First was using balsa as material. It's my first attempt of model plane building, thus have no exp on how to estimate or guage if the material is situable in terms of weight and COG. Well, it flew only at the first 2 min after charge. Rest of the 8 mins or more, it's gliding just above ground like hovercraft. I considered it as a failed attempt and was utterly disappointed.

Three test flight to confirm it's a dud, I went back to the drawing board. Decide to use foam/depon to make another one. This time it's lighter. Went out to test and BINGO. It flew like an ace. It recover from turn fast. Superb gliding ability, center itself almost immediately after turning, climb on 1/2 throttle even during turn. Personnal opinion, it flew much better and more controllable comparing to Xtwin(sport)/AA(mono wing).

Love it.

Here are some pics, video will be uploaded soon once I get my friend to be cameraman.

Note, it's night flight ready. I can attach an led anytime to the little sockets I added near the two motors.
BlindSpot is offline Find More Posts by BlindSpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2007, 12:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
19 Posts
Hi BlindSpot,sorry but im a young boy(french) i speak english very well :s i have just one question:What does it need like motor?and servos?and size of propeller? sorry for my english :s

bye
benji934 is offline Find More Posts by benji934
Old Mar 04, 2007, 03:30 PM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
If you take that big heavy plastic case off of the receiver it will probably fly even better. Nice wing by the way, especially for a newbie builder.

Steve
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Mar 04, 2007, 04:29 PM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Blind Spot,

Nice work. I hear the Dizzy Chick is a good design (as well as being inexpensive!).

benji934,
This design might be a good flying wing to start with. It uses the motors, props and receiver from the inexpensive X-Twin toy RC planes or other similar toy planes. No need for actuators or servos (it varies the thrust of the motors for steering and just uses throttle for up/down control).

Here are the Dizzy Chick plans:

http://www.modellbauvideos.de/filead...y_chick_II.pdf

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:38 AM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji934
Hi BlindSpot,sorry but im a young boy(french) i speak english very well :s i have just one question:What does it need like motor?and servos?and size of propeller? sorry for my english :s

bye
Nah. It's okay. My english is not that good either. Well, if you can get xtwin or AA in your country, all you have to dois to get one and take the receiver, RX and motors for use.

If not you need two motors with propellers, a receiver with can control the trust on the two individual motors. No servo is needed. Size of propeller is about 1.7-2 inches.

Anyway, I am pretty new to building planes, so other brothers and friends here will be able to help you on these. Do feel free to ask if you have more questions.
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:42 AM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharms
Blind Spot,

Nice work. I hear the Dizzy Chick is a good design (as well as being inexpensive!).

benji934,
This design might be a good flying wing to start with. It uses the motors, props and receiver from the inexpensive X-Twin toy RC planes or other similar toy planes. No need for actuators or servos (it varies the thrust of the motors for steering and just uses throttle for up/down control).

Here are the Dizzy Chick plans:

http://www.modellbauvideos.de/filead...y_chick_II.pdf

Mark

Thank you, yeah exactly. Using the guts from AA is the most inexpensive way to build a mini wing which is extremely controllable. Only tough part is to find the correct elevaon angle. Well I got it right at the first guess which is very lucky and have been sticking to that angle for both the balsa and foam version and works in lifting the wing.

Hope other have fun too making and flying this wing.

Well guess next step is to try to paint it and inprove on the cosmetics. Any suggestion for suitable paint for painting on foam?
Old Mar 05, 2007, 03:22 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2006
4 Posts
X-twin/AA »Dizzy Chick«

I have to agree: The »Dizzy Chick« really is a great design!

The only mod I did on mine was adding 2 pieces of Depron to connect the "tailerons" with the winglets to provide some stiffness in that area.

Oh, and then I added a pair of SMD LED´s for night flying in front of the house (just soldered in parallel to the motors)...:

Greetings from Germany,

Claus
clausheupel is offline Find More Posts by clausheupel
Old Mar 05, 2007, 05:09 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Blind Spot,
Colored "Sharpie" pens (permanent markers) work well (but its a bit of work to cover large areas). There are some foam-safe paints around (Krylon Fusion is one I know of). Some spray paint will eat depron/EPS foam, so test on a scrap piece if you aren't sure.

Claus,
Your DC looks great. What did you use for the coloring?

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:12 PM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharms
Blind Spot,
Colored "Sharpie" pens (permanent markers) work well (but its a bit of work to cover large areas). There are some foam-safe paints around (Krylon Fusion is one I know of). Some spray paint will eat depron/EPS foam, so test on a scrap piece if you aren't sure.

Claus,
Your DC looks great. What did you use for the coloring?

Mark
But permanent marker does not give nice event color when using them on foam. And sometimes when they are said to be permanent, they do rub off easily from the foam material.

Well, will search for the type of foam safe paint you mentioned. Thanks for the advice bro.

And yes, Claus' chick wing look wicked. Total coolness. Hope I can made mine as colorful and nice as his.

Hi Claus, greetings to you too from sunny island I am living in call Singapore.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 09:37 AM
Sweden, Skåne, Malmö Municipality
Joined May 2007
13 Posts
Here's my (heavily used) "Dizzy Chick 2" try. I've made a couple of small changes to the original plan: 90 degree winglets for tighter turns; two identical body pieces for covering the electronics nicer; small reinforcements near the propelers (it breaks to easily there).

Greetings from Romania
gigel_cel_mitite is offline Find More Posts by gigel_cel_mitite
Old Jun 28, 2007, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
Hello everyone.

This is the first post I've made here, even though I've been looking at this site for 7 years!

My question is does anyone have a translated PDF plan for the "Dizzy Chick?"
I can read German, but only at a 1st grade level.

Thanks.
K4RT80Y is offline Find More Posts by K4RT80Y
Old Jul 05, 2007, 05:44 AM
semi is the new all
Helsinki
Joined Jun 2006
31 Posts
Did I understand right that the Dizzy Chick flies with wing elevation only, the wing itself isn't curved and provides (if any) close to no lift?

Has anybody tried building a flying wing out of X-Twin / AA -parts with a lift-generating wing? With a low wing loading, large wing area (ie. high lift) and low drag this could be an interesting experiment providing at best excellent glide characteritics.
semicolon is offline Find More Posts by semicolon
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:12 AM
CARL T
United States, OR, Grants Pass
Joined Dec 2005
395 Posts
I have found the plans for the Dizzy Chick but can not find the Dizzy Chick II.Someone please tell me , what is a Dizzy Chick II. Where is it told about or what a II is ?
Thank you.
Carl
Carl T is offline Find More Posts by Carl T