Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 28, 2014, 11:50 AM
Joined May 2014
19 Posts
Discussion
RTF or ARF Mission Ready FPV

I'm essentially looking for a multirotor that's (almost) ready to fly with the ability to fly through way points and FPV from a GoPro. Anything compatible with Mission Planner looks like it would fill my needs on the Mission Ready goal.

I came across an RTF Aeronavics CX600 here : http://www.uav-america.com/mr4-aeronavics.html
that I really liked, but found that they don't actually sell it anymore.

I kind of like the pixhawk and 3DR IRIS and expect that I could get it to FPV somehow, but I'm not thrilled with its flight times.

Are there any products available that fill my needs with about a 20-30 minute flight time?

Thanks
Fordy314 is online now Find More Posts by Fordy314
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2014, 12:13 PM
Joined May 2014
19 Posts
Just stumbled across Aeronavics Falcon
http://aeronavics.com/the-falcon/

Does anyone know where I could more info about this?
Old May 28, 2014, 12:23 PM
United States, NC, Waxhaw
Joined May 2009
110 Posts
Edit - Nevermind, didn't read far enough.

There are also the turbo matrix stuff... but not really set for telemetry right out of the box. Even the Phantom can do what you want, you just have to put the module in.
titanflyer is online now Find More Posts by titanflyer
Last edited by titanflyer; May 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 29, 2014, 07:26 AM
United States, NC, Waxhaw
Joined May 2009
110 Posts
Also try XAirCraft ( http://xaircraftamerica.com ).. seem to have a few that fit the bill. I am searching too as my next quad purchase has the same type of mission requirements that you seem to have.
titanflyer is online now Find More Posts by titanflyer
Old May 29, 2014, 08:12 AM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,777 Posts
I am in the middle of producing a long range lightweight FPV (recon machine) at the moment.

I have a customer in Africa who has a wishlist of:

Long range (2km with FPV)
Waypoints
Easy to transport
Carry a GoPro 3 or above for recording.

I love Flight times of the DJI phantom 2, so I have designed the machine around this but allowing for long range.

Frame size 400mm allowing it to fit in a robust case I use with propellors mounted and with transmitter, batteries, FPV goggles etc.

Frame weight 110g, with a specially designed carbon fibre I have exclusively for my frames.

Everything is designed and put together with weight saving in mind, so I can get better flight times than the phantom.

Aluminium screws for motors and all soldered connections, removing of heatsinks for the esc's.

600mw VTX , with a goggle mounted patch antennae for 2km 5.8ghz range even behind trees.

Naza V2 with GPS and mini OSD, ideally linked to the DJI groundstation.

1 axis servo gimbal for the GoPro.

As soon as the first one is tested and shipped to the customer I will begin with a detailed thread on here.

Its all based around my lightweight acrobatic machine.

ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2014, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2014
19 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your responses. At this point, I think my best option for getting a better understanding of autonomous flight and FPV is to get an RTF consumer grade "stepping stone". Again, I want to be able to fly through way points while using FPV. What are your thoughts on the Phantom 2 vs. the 3DR IRIS? From what I can find, it seems like it would be more difficult to get FPV with the IRIS. Could someone point me in the right direction on this one?

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2014, 06:05 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Actually, we do have the Mission Ready CX600 available. Not sure who you may have talked with - in fact one is going out the door on Monday - A2 Flight Controller, DJI 3 Axis GoPro Gimbal, LightBridge Video Downlink System. We have many of the Aeronavics frames in stock and we build to customer requirements. We would be happy to talk with you. We also have a number of Tarot frames that make really nice platforms at substantial savings. www.uavamerica.com
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Last edited by Socratic; Jun 27, 2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 06:35 PM
Indonesia, Bali, South Kuta
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
just a suggestion, if you want to get RTF that have waypoint capability, why not get 3DR Iris, with pixhawk controller (buy more battery if you feel the flight time is not so long )
Rc16 is online now Find More Posts by Rc16
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:28 PM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
157 Posts
If you really want to do what you said you wanted to do, were serious about what you wanted to do, and wanted to do it right, the first time. Spend the bucks for an RTF 3d Robotics X8 fitted out with a gimbal, telemetry system, and FPV arrangement. Then fly your heart out using a very, very good auto pilot and flight controller. You will have to become a little involved and learn a little bit about how the system works, but at least it's not going to fly away or roll over on its back and quit on ya. Plus it will still be working after you've gone through a couple of your other options.

However, if what you are looking for is the cheapest set up you can find just recognize you'll get what you pay for, or pay a heck of a lot more than what you got was worth.
PatR is online now Find More Posts by PatR
Old Jun 28, 2014, 09:56 AM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Just a word of caution. If you go with a Pixhawk you can't beat the features for the price...But, expect a fairly high learnng curve to feel comfortable setting up everything properly - and even if you do, the firmware has a nasty way of biting you in the ass just when you think everything is okay. In fact, we have recently stopped including the Pixhawk and APM with our builds as over the last six months the code seems to have lost control/managing. We have been building and selling frames with the APM for years without nearly as many bugs as we get now-a-days. Of course the feature set has increased 10 fold - but so have the bugs.
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:41 AM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
157 Posts
Are you downloading Beta version updates or fully vetted ones? That's sort of important since many have fed beta upgrades into their FC's without fully understanding what changes were added or the code that generated them, or what they were supposed to do. An open source software provides the opportunity for tremendous system improvements but the uninitiated should wait for the vetted versions and not use the Betas. The Betas are for those willing to test fly and provide feedback or write/provide code alterations if needed. If using a Beta anything you are the guinea pig,

Anything using the APM code base absolutely requires the user to expend the time and effort to learn about how it works. if one initially uses the auto tune capability and goes slow with making changes as they come to understand how those functions work the system works fine. One also has excellent tech support in numerous formats with APM/Pixhawk. APM/Pixhawk is absolutely not for those that want to get something off the shelf and just shove sticks around forever. For those that are lazy or have no interest in learning how to make things work the DJI and similar products often work just fine. Often, but not always, or to the level the pricing suggests it should. When things go wrong, and they can go badly wrong, you're pretty much on your own except for in forums like this where you have to hope that everything you read about how to fix your problem is true. Provided your problem hadn't already flown away of course.

Bear in mind that many manufacturers in the MR side of the hobby abandoned the customer the moment the money transfer was made for the product.
PatR is online now Find More Posts by PatR