HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Oct 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_bee View Post
Joe,
It pains me to admit that I have made absolutely no progress with my Teaser.

I have played around with Rhino trying to get better resolution on the cut files, but without any luck. I am going to work with the MDF plugs as they are now. It means a lot of filling and sanding but the model is definitely worth it.

My lack of progress is due to pressures of work and the amount of spare time spent sorting out the bathroom. However, I expect to get that finished by Xmas -this year!

I also have a Blade XXL to finish repairing, a Bladeer wing to fix, a RCRCM Typhoon fuselage to stick back together and an electric fuselage for the same model to fit out.

It's going to be a busy two weeks over Xmas.

Martin.
I have the same problem with the finish, I have been told its the Cam software. I am using 3D Cut.
roger2525 is offline Find More Posts by roger2525
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,210 Posts
I think the finish is normal for that type of tool path. Will leave the ridges unless you use a very small step over. I often use that type. Then I go with a cut around the outer edges to clean them up, and sand the rest. In harder materials I just spend the time with a very small step over. Sometimes I also do a second cut with a tool path at a different angle.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
Which parameters used for path ?

I normally use 3mm ball and 0,2mm steps for quick&dirty materials and 6mm ball and 0,1mm steps for perfect finish.
plastikmann is offline Find More Posts by plastikmann
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Mar 2005
456 Posts
I still think my problems with the cut paths stems from the conversion from Catia to .stl to Aspire.

Plastikmann, can you convert your original v19 catia file into a v17 for me? Perhaps the V-tailplane to start with?

Martin.
heli_bee is offline Find More Posts by heli_bee
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
Yes we can..... but: CatBack for V5 is not similar as it was for V4, it is only a dumb volume as result. Question, does it make sense ?!? If so, it would be better to import the step into your R17.

Of course, it is the worst way ever to use STL files somewhere in the CAM path of programming.

Or maybe its more useful to save direvtly into STL as I can convert is just with fine tesselation, some around 0,02mm.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2005
456 Posts
Dominik,

Can you save the .stl file directly at the best possible resolution? I know the files will be large but I should be able to give you access to save them to my Skydrive.

Martin.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:06 AM
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
Hi,

I tried, but even with 0,02mm and huge datasize at about 2gigs stl is still not the method to use for converting here. You need something to tepresent freeform surfaces properly.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:30 AM
Joined Mar 2005
456 Posts
Dominik,

I fear you might be correct. However, is it possible to upload the file to my skydrive. I will email the details this evening.
I can then have a play with the file if Aspire can handle such a large file and see if it makes a difference to my cut paths.

Failing that, Aspire can import the following 3D files:
STL, DXF, OBJ, VRML, V3M, CRV3D and 3DCLIP.

Regards

Martin.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
It really makes no sense, there are steps and gaps on the leading edge. Tessellation seems to be the issue. Even with finest mesh, so fine Iam not able to store is not proper represented.

with parameters for 0,01mm max deformation and 0,1mm step I get zip packet 22megs but the quality is not enough for milling anything because of the tesselation.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 02:40 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,369 Posts
How is the project coming along?
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:27 AM
Joined Mar 2005
456 Posts
Wing-span,

Still very little progress except a coat of spray filler over the plugs.

On the plus side I have finished re-building the bathroom. It only took almost all my spare time over the past four months. I'm looking forward to making more progress with the Teaser.
Other modelling tasks like repairing all my moulded models are also nearing completion.

Martin.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:23 AM
SOARda involved
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jul 2009
25 Posts
This really is an interesting project.
Nick
Nick Milligan is offline Find More Posts by Nick Milligan
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:42 AM
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
Martin, whats goin on ?.....

you should finish the ship, its already in contest use and it seems it is not only a trainer but very competitve
Old Jun 10, 2014, 03:03 AM
Joined Mar 2005
456 Posts
Dominik,
There does not seem to be enough spare time at the moment. Work and married life seem to be using it all up! The plugs are still on the list of jobs to finish off. They are getting closer to the top of the list.
I have been doing a few extra jobs on the cnc machine (earning a few pennies) to buy some F5B hardware which all takes time unfortunately.
Martin.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 03:26 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,369 Posts
Take your time. Family is important, we can all come back to follow your F5B saga another time..
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span