Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:12 PM
tow
Norway, Nord-Trondelag, Namsos
Joined Dec 2003
1,081 Posts
Discussion
Lander Retracts frying

I bought a set of these : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._20_class.html
but almost instantly one got hot and stopped working. Seems like I`m looking at a 100 $ down the drain........I`m running on 4.8V so that should be fine...
My thought is: Is there a protection from burning the motor if a leg get jammed for instance.... Anyone else have experience with these retracts? Any input please...
tow is offline Find More Posts by tow
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:25 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,256 Posts
yes, i know eflite and shulman both have load protection build in.

according to the link description you posted. those hk units have load protection. id send them back to hk.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:30 PM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
yes, i know eflite and shulman both have load protection build in.

according to the link description you posted. those hk units have load protection. id send them back to hk.
Sorry, but I previous have very bad experiences with returning goods to HK. Guess thats the downside of buying "cheap"
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Go to Park RC and buy a new electronic board. Cheaper than sending back to HK.

http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...oducts_id=1032
rfodor is offline Find More Posts by rfodor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:03 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,671 Posts
I"ve had the same experience...they're havin the same issues PZ's were having in the beginning...voltage doesn't matter
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,238 Posts
email Tim, he has great customer service and will get you fixed up.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:14 AM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
email Tim, he has great customer service and will get you fixed up.
Tim who?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:56 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tow View Post
Tim who?
Tim Wan, owner of RC Lander. tim@rclander.com

Tim, stands behind his products 100%, even if you did buy it from HK.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:00 AM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
Tim Wan, owner of RC Lander. tim@rclander.com

Tim, stands behind his products 100%, even if you did buy it from HK.
Sorry. Not all of the brain-cells are working together today I guess Thnx
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
909 Posts
I would contact Max at parkrc. He was a great help to me a couple weeks ago when I bought a fan from hk. Super nice guy and glad to help out.
pulsar110 is offline Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:01 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
537 Posts
Guy's I can give an update on these retracts. I have a very early version of these bought about 2 years ago. I only ran them on the bench. After a season went by they started working intermittently. It turned out the micro switches at the end of the jack screw mechanism were sticking closed, rendering them useless unless you took them apart and freed up the switch, than they would work ok for a while than stick again. I sent Tim a pm about the matter and he promptly is sending me 3 new PC boards with updated switches and logic for the shipping costs. I have not seen any problems with the motors getting hot even though I mostly ran them off an A123 pack and that's usually around 6.6V. I'll have to put a regulator to them to be safe though. I have a gear door rigged to close with the gear and it has enough power to lift the strut and close the door without going over current and stopping. I hope the new switches work out. I think these units have the potential to hold up to their ratings. We need a reasonably priced retract for this weight range. Everything else out there are triple the price.
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:06 PM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,081 Posts
Tim absolutely fixed the issue for me by sending me a new board for free!!
The trouble with the micro switches is corrected in the new boards I think. Agree, Great retrcts!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:49 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
537 Posts
I am very impressed with Tim and his company. He responded to my pm in a matter of hours and solved my problem. I will continue to support RCLander and have decided to also support Park Rc for my future RCLander needs. I do not mind paying a little more for products sourced stateside especially when they are backed up by such good manufacture support. Thanks Tim.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
... Everything else out there are triple the price.
+1

These things take some serious abuse with a 15- 18lbs plane and they're priced right...I'm sticking with them and knowing Tim usually improves his products I can trust they'll get better over time

I don't think any part is well over 5usd so the etracts have good parts support too...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:31 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
680 Posts
I have had some mixed feelings with regards to these retracts, some seem to work really well, while others dont.

I have a set of the tri-cycle large units, and they have been pretty good installed in a large heavy mosquito although they have not done many flights. They have been bench cycled quite a few times and seem to be holding out.

I also have a set of the rotating 100degree units, and have had nothing but grief from them. Two have burned PCB's and one of them sounds awful going through the gearing.
I have had very pleasant dealings with Tim's staff and they are sending me a pair of new PCB's. I did notice that on Landers website, they dont specify the power supply limitations/specs at all and I was using regulators that are set at 6V and 3A and I was not sure if this was causing the problem and frying the boards, but I am going to set them at 5V and 3A and see if that saves them. The ones I got from HK have info that says between 4.8V and 6V so I believe I was within spec, but these certainly did NOT like the voltage in the upper range limit if that is the case.
I tested the regulators to make sure there was not a false supply, and I got 5.99V....

They are decently priced units, and seem pretty tough, but the PCB's might be the weakest link with this option.
Cathurga is offline Find More Posts by Cathurga