HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
360 Posts
Discussion
TAMJETS TJ80 Assembly

I just purchased a TAMJETS TJ80 EDF and a Neu 1409 Motor From Esprit
model and discovered that it comes with no assembly instructions.
Most of it seems fairly obvious but the inside diameter of the EDF Aluminum housing is
approximately .005" smaller than the outside diameter of the motor. Also,
the motor has 4 socket head screws around the base that are obviously going
to prevent the motor from sliding all the way forward into the housing.

I'm assuming that a little heat with a hot air gun may expand the housing enough
to allow the motor to slide in but then there are the screws around the base.

Has anyone assembled one of these things that can provide some info?
I haven't done anything yet as I'd prefer not tho learn how this thing goes together the "hard way".

Thanks
Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
I just recently purchased a TJ fan and motor, Tam assembled and balanced all for free and I didnt even ask him too.......thats what I call service.

Good luck with your issue.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Last edited by super kupfer; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,419 Posts
your going to have to turn the motor can down to size..no way will it slide in when heated if it has a .005 interfereance fit,or grind out the motor tube which is what i would do,dont know what to do with the screw heads ,call Tam and see if you have the right motor for his fan/shroud.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
Tam Fan

Tam trys his best to provide service but you got to understand the motor housings change even from Neu. Cases always change. That why when you purchase from TAM a PNP unit you pay a little more, but in reality your paying nothing since you have to have the machining tools to do the job. If you don't have the skills or time then it is best to get the PNP. But I understand when you purchase and then try to bring together items you have.

So if you have a buddy with a lathe you can cut the motor down. Even on the newest 19 series you have to have the motor cut down. And there are still other tricks as your going to need to have access to the hub adapter and that requires a slot. Your unit may already have it, but if not your going to have to create that in order to tighten the hub when the rotor is on the motor shaft. Get TAM shaft they a super tight and create a more concentric running hub. Less noise......

Well don't forget to get some liquid ice for your motor to dissipate the heat. Sells at radio shack 10-12 bucks. It's used for heat sinks on computers.

So machining, tools, materials, Tam price is very reasonable. To machine a motor depending on your lathe if you have one is a bit of a task.
jefffassbinder is online now Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder View Post
Tam trys his best to provide service but you got to understand the motor housings change even from Neu. Cases always change. That why when you purchase from TAM a PNP unit you pay a little more, but in reality your paying nothing since you have to have the machining tools to do the job. If you don't have the skills or time then it is best to get the PNP. But I understand when you purchase and then try to bring together items you have.

So if you have a buddy with a lathe you can cut the motor down. Even on the newest 19 series you have to have the motor cut down. And there are still other tricks as your going to need to have access to the hub adapter and that requires a slot. Your unit may already have it, but if not your going to have to create that in order to tighten the hub when the rotor is on the motor shaft. Get TAM shaft they a super tight and create a more concentric running hub. Less noise......

Well don't forget to get some liquid ice for your motor to dissipate the heat. Sells at radio shack 10-12 bucks. It's used for heat sinks on computers.

So machining, tools, materials, Tam price is very reasonable. To machine a motor depending on your lathe if you have one is a bit of a task.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, but can you please elaborate on needing to cut a slot in order to tighten the hub? The TJ80 "kit" I purchased seems to have everything, included. There is an aluminum hub with two set screws to fasten it to the motor shaft. It also has a nut/spinner adapter to fasten the rotor to the shaft and allow a screw through the front to attach the spinner.. I'm hoping to be able to get an L shaped Allen wrench into the set screws to tighten them and then use a socket to tighten the hex nut/spinner adapter.
Have I missed something that will prevent me from assembling the unit in the order described? I'm also assuming I will want to file flats on the motor shaft so the set screws will be able to get a better bite on the shaft.

Also, I've been told I can remove the outer case on the Castle 100A ESC to allow it to fit into the tail cone of the TJ80 or I could simply install the ESC as in the battery compartment of the Habu 32. Any suggestions as to which would be better?
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Don't file flats on both sides of the shaft, just do one side if at all. It is too hard to get both flats perfectly parallel. I have run my Habu (Stumax fan) on both 6s and 7s packs, with 6s I had a CC 85HV between the ducts and with the 7s setup I am running a CC 120HV ICE2 between the ducts. Both worked fine and stayed cool. If you remove the case to put your CC 100 into the tailcone of the TJ80 you need to shrink wrap it and then cut away "windows" in the heat shrink where the heatsinks are. You need to cut holes in the tailcone in front of the ESC so air can enter, pass around the ESC, and exit at the back. You could always just send the lot to Tam and have him assemble it all and return it in a "plug and play" configuration. I doubt he would mind putting it together for a reasonable fee...
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,443 Posts
To get proper motor fit I have used a honing tool for brake calipers to open up the bore of the fan centerbody slightly to allow the motor to slide into it. Easy enough to do especially if you have a drill press altough a regular drill will also work if you clamp down the fan shroud. Apply a thin layer of thermal grease to the motor when installing it, that helps with heat transfer.

As mentioned only file a flat for one of the set screws on the motor shaft, I like to use a Dremel with a large diameter grinding disk for this.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth