HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:02 AM
Joined Sep 2013
100 Posts
Hey Venboy, Ive come from flying helis and had my first Flight ever on Sunday with my Bixler and had No Dual rates or expo and felt really good. Wasnt twitchy or too fast. Thats just me tho.
try your settings, you might like it or it mite feel too slow and not responsive enough.
experiment and try a few and go with what feels comfortable for you.
Diggiz is offline Find More Posts by Diggiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:52 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2014
25 Posts
Thanks dmanuel and Diggiz. I'm afraid of the aileron, I don't want these to be too touchi and then go invert or roll, so I was thinking in limit them at the beginning while I get use to them..
Venboy is online now Find More Posts by Venboy
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:59 AM
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Mar 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Look at how the wings fit together and how they fit the fuselage, those notches and protrusions fit together as 'keying' surfaces. Once the wings are inserted into the fuselage the only way they can move is away from each other, that's the only movement you're trying to prevent.

The sticky side of the velcro to the sticky side of the tape should work well.

Cheers,
Geoff
Ok will try that thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I mentioned that I use spray contact but said CA would also work.

If you let CA dry it is like putting it on plastic so I do not know why it did not work. Even putting it on with the CA a bit wet and letting it dry for quite a while should also work.

Anyway buying it that way for the large amount I use is too expensive and not wide enough for some of my jobs. This is what I use.

It is only $2.74 from the USA warehouse and I get it as a filler when buying it with other stuff.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

With spray adhesive I have to pull and pull to get it off.

I just realized what you mean. The above is sticking velcro or fiber glass tape to foam. Apparently you are trying to stick velcro to the non sticky side of the fiber tape. Yep that does not work.

As gbmarsh just mentioned "The sticky side of the velcro to the sticky side of the tape should work well."

I have not done this way of holding the wings together but I do not think anyone has done what you are trying to do.

If I did it I think I would just use the HK velcro and no fiber tape. Just cut the velcro to size and take it from one wing to the other. It will also make your wings tighter.
OK thank you too!!!
chevyfried is online now Find More Posts by chevyfried
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:25 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venboy View Post
Thanks dmanuel and Diggiz. I'm afraid of the aileron, I don't want these to be too touchi and then go invert or roll, so I was thinking in limit them at the beginning while I get use to them..
Dont worry, if theres one things thats for sure on the bixler. its that the ailerons are not fast/sensetive. Just set them up with 100% throw and 30% expo and you will be fine.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:25 PM
They call me Spock
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2013
120 Posts
Motor Question

I had a Suppo A2212/10 motor lying around and used it for my Bixler. However after some watt meter tests, I can either do 7x5 on 3S giving 800g thrust or 9x4.5 on 2S giving 650g thrust. I wanted to go 8x4 on 3S, but it pulls 17.7A, just slightly above the 16A current limit of the motor. The weight savings of the 2S batteries is only a couple of ounces vs a 150g loss in thrust, so it seems that 7x5 is the sweet spot for this motor. My AUW is 960g without any APM or OSD at the moment. I think I'll upgrade the motor before adding anything else.

Seems like the Turnigy 2826/10 swinging an 8x4 prop is common here. Are there any other suggestions? I'll likely be in the 1100-1200g range of AUW eventually, so I'd want to account for that.
dmanuel is online now Find More Posts by dmanuel
Old Jul 09, 2014, 08:35 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,011 Posts
Most people do not go into the grams of thrust so probably why no replies. Maybe.

You say you used the Suppo A2212/10 motor. You mean flew with it? It does not seem to be big enough for a Bixler.

I use the Turnigy 2826/10 1400kv with a 8x6 prop with slightly heavier than you mentioned with success. It is sufficient for FPV but not a rocket. You get the over 2000kv if you want faster and less flight time.

I think most use the same motor as I have but probably with the 8x4 instead of the 8x6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanuel View Post
I had a Suppo A2212/10 motor lying around and used it for my Bixler. However after some watt meter tests, I can either do 7x5 on 3S giving 800g thrust or 9x4.5 on 2S giving 650g thrust. I wanted to go 8x4 on 3S, but it pulls 17.7A, just slightly above the 16A current limit of the motor. The weight savings of the 2S batteries is only a couple of ounces vs a 150g loss in thrust, so it seems that 7x5 is the sweet spot for this motor. My AUW is 960g without any APM or OSD at the moment. I think I'll upgrade the motor before adding anything else.

Seems like the Turnigy 2826/10 swinging an 8x4 prop is common here. Are there any other suggestions? I'll likely be in the 1100-1200g range of AUW eventually, so I'd want to account for that.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:49 PM
Joined Jul 2013
112 Posts
Quote:

2830-1000KV with a 9x6 APC here full FPV setup flies for over 30 minutes on 3S 3300mah lipos
keithsuth is offline Find More Posts by keithsuth
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
They call me Spock
Joined Jun 2013
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
You say you used the Suppo A2212/10 motor. You mean flew with it? It does not seem to be big enough for a Bixler.
I did fly with the 2212/10 on a 7x5 prop. Based on the 10-12 minute flights, I could likely get 25-30 min on a 2200 mAh battery.
The bixler was 2.5 oz heavier than stock as I have not added any FPV equipment, but had to add extra weight in the nose to balance the plane since I positioned my receiver and servos in the tail.

I am not at all disappointed with the performance of the suppo motor, but my extra 4mm round spar comes this week, and I'll be adding FPV gear as soon as my reinforcements arrive. I don't think the suppo will be up to the task - at least not with a comfortable margin.
Old Today, 12:34 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
819 Posts
Quote:
I did fly with the 2212/10 on a 7x5 prop. Based on the 10-12 minute flights, I could likely get 25-30 min on a 2200 mAh battery.
The bixler was 2.5 oz heavier than stock as I have not added any FPV equipment, but had to add extra weight in the nose to balance the plane since I positioned my receiver and servos in the tail.

I am not at all disappointed with the performance of the suppo motor, but my extra 4mm round spar comes this week, and I'll be adding FPV gear as soon as my reinforcements arrive. I don't think the suppo will be up to the task - at least not with a comfortable margin.
I agree, you would want to step up to at least the 2826-10 with an 8x4 or 8x6.
You'll still get a comfortable 20min flight time on 2200mah and have enough power to get the FPV gear up to where the good views are

Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Today, 05:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
86 Posts
flight time

Once my bix2 is delivered I'll be using the 2826-10 1400kv motor with an 8x4 prop and a 2200mah lipo battery and no fpv equipment just a bare bones plane . What would be a reasonably safe flight time for this set up?
Thanks
leakywellie is offline Find More Posts by leakywellie
Old Today, 07:48 AM
They call me Spock
Joined Jun 2013
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakywellie View Post
Once my bix2 is delivered I'll be using the 2826-10 1400kv motor with an 8x4 prop and a 2200mah lipo battery and no fpv equipment just a bare bones plane . What would be a reasonably safe flight time for this set up?
Thanks
I started with a motor slightly less powerful than the one you listed and a 7x5 prop on a 2200mAh battery - also no FPV equipment. My flights were only 10 minutes of mixed powered flight and gliding. I also flew some with flaps engaged and some with flaps disengaged. I consumed about 600 mAh for this 10 minute flight. I assume your times would be similar.

I would suggest setting your timer and fly for about 8-10 minutes. Once you are done, charge the battery and take note how many mAh you put back in. Do the math and determine what flight times you'll get with your style of flying. If your math says 20 minutes, try your next flight at 15 minutes and do the math again - which will be more accurate with a longer flight time.

Remember to calculate using 1760 mAh (80% of 2200) as the available mAh.
Old Today, 07:54 AM
They call me Spock
Joined Jun 2013
120 Posts
Quote:
You'll still get a comfortable 20min flight time on 2200mah and have enough power to get the FPV gear up to where the good views are

Geoff
In some research, I saw where some guys are liking the Park480 motors for a Bix2 FPV setup. I just happened to have a KEDA equivalent at home, so I'm going to try it out. The motor is 81g, but I'll be able to push my 9x4.5 prop with about 1100g thrust at 45 mph pitch speed. That's an extra 300g thrust with only 30g additional weight. Hopefully that means some low power cruising around 5-6A. I might have to try a 9x6 as well.
Old Today, 09:45 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Geoff
does your motor esc run hot with that prop? I see the recommended prop for the 3s is a 7X4.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0