Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:57 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Build Log
Gloster Meteor

Hi,

Well there is a nip in the air and snow on the ground. That can mean only one thing, it is building season here in Michigan. For my Winter project, I'm building a Gloster Meteor. This will be a T-7/T-8 version which is a two seat trainer. I've been working on the drawings for this one for a while and found a pretty cool prototype to model. The full scale Meteor is owned an still operated by Martin Baker. MB develops ejection seats and this Meteor is one of their testbed planes.

Specs:

1:10 Scale
Wing Span: 51.6"
Length: 61.45
Wing Area: 668 in^2
Weight Target < 100 oz.
Wing Loading: ~22oz/ft^2
Power 2 x Minifan 480, 2 x 4S 5000mAhr LiPo

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:04 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Tail group

On of the challenges of the Meteor is the cruciform tail. I've engineered a plywood cross to support and align the stab and the fin.

The stab is built up and sheeted with 1/32" balsa. Some laser cut jigs hold it straight while it is sheeted. The elevators and rudder are built up as well.

-Jim
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:07 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
The tail control surfaces will all have internal linkages. This makes the intersection of the stab and fin pretty busy, but it all fits.

-Jim
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:16 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,162 Posts
I am watching!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:32 AM
Pro Slacker
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Nov 2003
96 Posts
Interesting choice! Is it going to the laser cutter or will you go it the old style (quick cut across balsa sticks and finger tips )?

Good luck, I'll be following this too.

/Patrik
century_series is offline Find More Posts by century_series
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,779 Posts
Nice to see you are cutting balsa on this one after having a look at your prelimanary plan at MidAm.
Have you figures out the gear yet?

I was watching a DVD of the Wonder Woman series from the 70's, and there is an episode where Col Steve Trevor has to fly a "Secret" jet....a white/light grey Meteor! Long pointy nose version at that Pretty cool to see it flying!
Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:12 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,675 Posts
Jim, neat subject. If you do as well as you did on the Wedell Williams it will be a great model.

Does Martin-Baker actually launch ejection seats from that airplane? If so, I wonder how they keep the canopy from melting with the rocket exhaust? And I'd hate to be the one who has to clean all of the rocket exhaust residue from the plane

Patrick, looking at the plywood cross brace it looks like this has already been lasered.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:26 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,762 Posts
Here we go! I've been looking forward to this build since you showed us the plans.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:32 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Hi All,

I had a prototype set of laser cut parts made for the Meteor. This should keep things moving along. You'll see where this really helps when I get to the wing.

I've got the landing gear worked out, and I plan to use a set of Robart 510 series retracts. The scale wheels would be 3.5", but I've reduced than to 3" and 2.5" for the nose. These should let me takeoff from grass.

There were dozens of variants and modification to the Meteor platform. MB actually shoots out ejection seats from this plane. They have a silver one as well and you can see the burn marks. Both have half canopies, but I plan to deviate a bit and put the full T.7 canopy on this one. There is a scarlet Meteor T.7 with white trim that would be a cool color scheme as well.

-Jim
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Jim you may motivate me to put motors back in once again, and attempt flight with my off-scale Meteor. Don't see many builds of this plane. I built it some years back with after thoughts, but should at least give it a try in the air. The motors and ESCs have been pirated twice from it, but now that there are some low cost HC motors and ESCs that have been known to actually work, I may buy gear once again.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,779 Posts
Doesnt look too "off-scale" to me!
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:26 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
I'll be interested to see how this develops, as there are very few balsa Meteor plans that I know of. I copied one and printed it for a start point, but it was certainly not a complete plan. A small kit company (can't remember name) had developed a good looking balsa prototype of around 40" or so, but has never released it as a kit, as far as I know of.
Edit: I found what appears to the the prototype build here, but it is not linked to the website I remember finding it at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=582806
I think the 50"+ span is a good size for a twin Minifan EDF like this. Those who have built twin EDFs like this understand that there are ideal sizes for specific power systems that seem to be more optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Doesnt look too "off-scale" to me!
Thanks Mark. It depends on what angle you look at it from.

Don't mean to hijack Jim's thread too much, but I think he'll get a kick out of this also. I show this pic to motivate scratch builds, showing that a "questionable" start can still finish looking good, with a bit of filler, sheeting, and covering.

Yes, this is the inners below
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Last edited by WTFLYR; Dec 20, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
I've completed the tail group. It took a while to get everything lined up, but I'm happy with the results so far.

Your Meteor looks pretty good. I see you did the Israeli Air Force scheme. I've come across a few photos of Meteors in those colors. It looks like they sold these planes to just about everyone.

When I started designing this plane, I looked at several other twin 70mm EDFs and used them as a starting point. I've got a pair of fans and Mega 16/15/3's that should run good on 4S.

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Dec 22, 2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:10 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,222 Posts
Well Jim, now you have done it! I have had your Comet framed up for some time now but then you added retracts and well ---- one must have those so back it went into the shop. Now you come up with another "must have", when/if you get it kitted that is. I am still ploughing through the Super Connie (we don't have a build season down here!!) and so have been stuck with the Lander foamies for my "quick fix" d/f stuff but a real balsa Meteor --- wow!! I can't wait to follow the build thread and I have no doubt it will be a very flyable model. Heck I even have the fans and suitable retracts in my stash, not sure 16/15/3's are still available though. I think the NF-11 was the meanest looking Meteor variant. Good luck on the model.
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:45 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Hi Barry,

Nice to hear from you. I guess it's not a surprise you have a weakness for British planes.

-Jim