SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2014, 01:59 AM
Joined Nov 2012
270 Posts
Discussion
Applying Litespan covering

Hi folks, I have a question.
I'm building a small dlg glider with an open structure wing. I know there are lots of choices how to cover it. I have found litespan covering in my workshop, which I believe would be perfect for this but I don't have balsaloc. It's a substance designed for this covering that works like glue. My question is, is there any other way I could apply this? Dope comes in mind but litespan is fully sealed material with no heat sensitive adhesive. Are there any alternatives?
vil64 is offline Find More Posts by vil64
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2014, 03:42 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,065 Posts
Plain white wood glue....works almost like Balsaloc. If you spread it thinly on the frame and let it dry you can then use heat just like you do with Balsaloc.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Dec 02, 2014, 04:47 AM
Joined Nov 2012
270 Posts
Thanks Steve
Wow, I never thought of that. Is it really going to stick even after you let the pva glue dry? I never thought you can re-activate its stickiness by heat. I might try that on a piece of scrap. Good tip
vil64 is offline Find More Posts by vil64
Old Dec 02, 2014, 10:04 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,065 Posts
I've used it quite few times with Litespan and other stuff and it's always held fine.

BTW this is one of the few cases where plain old PVA seems to work better than the fancy new aliphatic wood glues .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Dec 02, 2014, 12:49 PM
NOVARA - ITALY
Joined Dec 2003
79 Posts
I definitely understood that Balsaloc has a base of white glue (here in Italy is tipically known with commercial name of "Vinavil").
I used white glue diluted with some water.
Water hepls white glue to better soak the wood. I recently built a Slingsby Skylark by WestWings covering it with litespan and white glue with water. Even if you see the balsaloc tin, inside it there was white glue + water.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10791...15237680127153

Bye
Alex
alevilla is offline Find More Posts by alevilla
Old Dec 02, 2014, 10:44 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,201 Posts
Or you can use a foam brush and 'paint' the back of the litespan and then apply it like any other covering film.

I also use white glue. I like plain Elmers. I do not recommend the cheaper no name brands and stay away fron the kid or school safe versions (they are 'safe' to eat ).

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 03, 2014, 03:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,158 Posts
I use Balsaloc and would think that it isn't made from ordinary PVA because it is quite difficult to remove from the sole of your covering iron and also from your fingers (PVA simply peels off). It dries as a very thin, transparant, flexible plastic coating.

A little messy but it works really well though. I've never had covering come loose when using Balsaloc although I haven't tried PVA for the same job.
DeeBee1 is online now Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Dec 03, 2014, 04:01 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
100 Posts
Here are more options/discussion of replacements for Balsaloc/Balsarite:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post27645194

I found the Modge Podge, readily available at craft stores, works well.

My caution with thinned pva is the water distorting balsa sheeting; probably on sticks would be fine.

good luck

Michael
2michaely is offline Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old Dec 04, 2014, 10:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,201 Posts
I would not thin the white glue if applying it to the frame work.

I also second Modge Podge as a good alternative to white glue. IIRC it is also a little more resistant to moisture.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 05, 2014, 06:12 PM
United States, CT, Enfield
Joined Nov 2000
357 Posts
Wow, I always used Elmers white glue, diluted 50/50 with water, to apply Japanese tissue to free flight planes.

I wonder if you could paint the frame of a FF model with diluted white glue, let it dry, and iron on the Japanese tissue with a trim iron or adjustable heat soldering iron?
Paul is offline Find More Posts by Paul