HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:59 AM
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Jan 2001
82 Posts
Pole Star and Wiseguy fuselage

Hi Guys,

It looks to me like the Wiseguy and the PoleStar use almost the same fuselage (or maybe it is the same).

It looks like I could just make a WiseGuy wing and use it in my Pole star fuse, is that a true statement?

thanks!

Steve S
steveo64 is offline Find More Posts by steveo64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
EAC
Eureka Springs, AR
Joined Jan 2007
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo64 View Post
Hi Guys,

It looks to me like the Wiseguy and the PoleStar use almost the same fuselage (or maybe it is the same).

It looks like I could just make a WiseGuy wing and use it in my Pole star fuse, is that a true statement?

thanks!

Steve S
Even though pretty much all Bill's fuses are the same, just a square box, maybe some top angles, most aren't interchangeable due to the wing cutout.

The PS and WG have drastically different size wing cutouts. You would have to modify the wing span to get the proper square inches for the wing surface, which is Bill's method for wing sizing.

The fuse itself has little bearing on the flying characteristics of the Simitars. The fuse is just there to hold the engine and the fin. He made each slightly different for aesthetic reasons.

The wing IS the thing with Simitars. If you have a plane you like the flying characteristics of, modifying the fuse to your liking will have little affect on the flying. Some builders change to nose length to make balancing easier, depending on power plant used. The Fin location, on the other hand, will affect the flying of the plane. He mentions that in quite a few of the articles.

(caveat) the Tracers are a different story, since the fuse side area and the rudder size and placement are used to help with pattern maneuvers.

Don @ EAC
EAC is offline Find More Posts by EAC
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
I would think that AR would have a huge effect in the pitch and roll characteristics of planks as well?

That is to say, 700 sq inches at a 50" span wont behave the same as 700 squares at 70" span.

Also, what of tapering planform verses constant chord??

Any observations/generalizations, Don?
I'm coming from sailplanes, where these two things matter a LOT; not sure if they are quite as important when a propeller is dragging the wing through the air, but I'm sure it matter some at least, right?

R,
Target
PS. STILL no plans from RCM ! !
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:03 AM
EAC
Eureka Springs, AR
Joined Jan 2007
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I would think that AR would have a huge effect in the pitch and roll characteristics of planks as well?

That is to say, 700 sq inches at a 50" span wont behave the same as 700 squares at 70" span.

Also, what of tapering planform verses constant chord??

Any observations/generalizations, Don?
I'm coming from sailplanes, where these two things matter a LOT; not sure if they are quite as important when a propeller is dragging the wing through the air, but I'm sure it matter some at least, right?

R,
Target
PS. STILL no plans from RCM ! !
Sure does matter... I was speaking in general, trying to keep wing loading and power plant size the same, and fitting in the current fuse wing cut out... The shorter wing will roll must faster.. With tapered, you have to be careful to size the wing so it fits in the existing cutout not at the center, but at the fuse sides. A lot of people forget about this. I see that mistake on wings other people cut all the time.

The tapered wing characteristics could go into a full discussion in itself, hopefully by someone more versed than I (hint, hint)....

I have tried all the emails and numbers I have on anything RCM, including the emails that yelled at me, to no avail. I am going to keep trying, mentioning if they want to sell the plans biz.

In the meantime, I am going to start selling printed copies of the RCM plans for any of my short kits, until I'm contacted and told not to. Maybe that will get their attention. I'll be working on that this weekend, along with a lot of cutting.

Don @ EAC
EAC is offline Find More Posts by EAC
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:52 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Don....
Who's the "hint hint" guy you are goading?

Thanks for your concern with the whole RCM thing. It WOULD be much better for you to offer kits with plans, and it has a negative impact selling kits for plans that are seemingly not available.
The good news is it sounds like RCM plans service is trying to dig themselves out of their being behind, based on their phone announcement. Still, I have yet to receive plans I paid for, get a call from them, or get an email from them....and that is very unsettling.

If I were financially set, I would be on a plane, and pounding on their front door, and it wouldn't be pretty.

At any rate, if you have any more time to go into detail about your observations regarding wing planforms of planks, and fuselage/vertical stab moments, I for one would LOVE to hear about what you know. Especially since I don't know if the plans I ordered will EVER arrive, I may have to make my own similar scimitar (does that rhyme?!).

Also of interest is the fact that plane like WiseGuy have a very fat fuse in the back. I would think that a tapered rear section would be less drag.

My plans to build revolve around E-power though, and an open aft fuse is a good way to keep the batteries cool.

R,
Target
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:08 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
373 Posts
Unfortunately, this issue with RCM Plans is something that has been happening for a few years now. I don't think that the person who owns the RCM Plans business is trying to do anything to clear up their backlog, so please be prepared.

Everyone who has bought from RCM Plans has the same story. Your card gets charged right away and you don't get your plans until months later, and only after you make a major fuss (presuming that you are able to get hold of the owner). The excuse is always the same - "I just printed your plans, they're being shipped tomorrow". This happened to me twice and to several others on the thread as well. Here's a link to one thread that only started in August 2012., but I I sometimes get links to another thread that goes back a few years now.

Forewarned is forearmed. I would love to see someone responsible (EAC??) buy this out and make a good go of it for us plans builders who are left.

Just my $.02

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined Mar 2002
15 Posts
Well, a big backlog of plans to be printed could signal that there plenty of builders still out there. This is a good thing is it not? It of course sucks if your one of the guys that are waiting for a set. I would hope that someone from Model Airplane News Plans Service (aka AirAge Store) might chime in with how plan sales are doing there.

Regards,
Bart
b.bixel is offline Find More Posts by b.bixel
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
Hi Dave1152. I just saw your Barron plane. Very cool! Love that design!
BTW, you can stop most all the bouncing of any simitar or flying wing that has trike gear - by just adding a small tailwheel. I've added tailwheels to my wings (usually a 3/4" wheel on 3/32 wire), so that it allows just enough rotation for take-off (about 5-6 degrees). On landing, keep the nose up so that the tail wheel hits first and it's unlikely to bounce back in the air. A perfect landing happens when the mains and tailwheel touch at the same time. After some practice this become second nature since you can actuall see the correct landing attitude by watching the wheels. I put the tailwheel on a wire angled back about 30-40 deg so I can bend the wire to adjust the ground clearance to suit.

See pic of my Dagger with the tailwheel added.
sygy is offline Find More Posts by sygy
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Thanks SYGY for the compliment on my Bermuda Barron, and tip on the tail wheel modification. Your Dagger is awsome, I have down loaded the realflight version you created and it is one of my favorite sim planes.
Dave
Dave1152 is offline Find More Posts by Dave1152
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:23 PM
Plaurence
Joined Jul 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1152 View Post
Thanks SYGY for the compliment on my Bermuda Barron, and tip on the tail wheel modification. Your Dagger is awsome, I have down loaded the realflight version you created and it is one of my favorite sim planes.
Dave
Where would one download this plane?
Thanks
plaurence is offline Find More Posts by plaurence
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Mike Oser's Dagger - Realflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaurence View Post
Where would one download this plane?
Thanks
I believe this is the site:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=15143
Dave
Dave1152 is offline Find More Posts by Dave1152
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:35 PM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
413 Posts
Update

I sent a rough draft of the Simitar Psycho-Bipe construction article to the Fly
RC editor who contacted me.

I have not heard from him since, that was 3 weeks ago.

I sent him an email inquiry last Tuesday to the original email address, the
address listed in the magazine, and the address for all the editors listed on
the website.

Construction of the plane for the article is proceeding slowly, as I have to
work nearly every other day and drop the plane off with my CAD savy friend to
update the plans accordingly.

I'll offer the article to other magazines if I get no reply from Fly RC in the
next 4 weeks.

Worst comes to worst I'll just post it in this group's RC Groups posting.

Tight Turns,

Claude
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
New Design - Lancer

Howdy guys. Just a note on a new project. My Dagger design was actually a prototype for what I hoped would be a larger version with retracts. Well, that is about to come to pass. Most of last year I worked part time on the design and I put a lot of work into making it what I really wanted. I've attached some 3D renderings of a CAD model made directly from the plans. In fact, both 2D and 3D CAD were done at the same time to get everything just right. I have also built the fuselage and am now covering the wings with balsa. This one will have retracts and an OS95AX for power. It's 58" wingspan and I expect it to weigh about 9 lbs. The airfoils have been refined a bit more as well for higher speeds. Shoot be a hoot.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
Lancer Credit

I should have mentioned above, that both the Dagger and Lancer were inspired by the Pole Star. When I saw that plane I new I had to have something like it. And I've always wanted to experiment with flying wing airfoils. So hat's off to Mr Evans for bringing such planes into being and inspiring some of us to take reigns and continue this work. And of course also to Claude, who has faithfully kept these planes alive and well in the 21st century.

What fun!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:00 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
Has anyone messed with a little bit of dihedral in one of Bill Evan's designs that originally had a flat wing?
If so, what was the result? I would think that with the correct amount (just a little?) they would groove in the turns better.
Comments with any experiences?

R,
Target