SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:13 AM
United States, CA, Los Altos
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 14sg support for 8 servo wing?

Hi all,
Apologies if this has already been covered. Does the 14sg support an 8 servo wing with a builtin configuration -- 2 inner flaps and 2 ailerons on each side, aka 4 ail/4 flap?

The manual, confusingly, shows no more than 2 ail/4 flap and 4 ail/2 flap configurations on pages 41 and 72, but then seems to show a 4 ail/4 flap setup in illustrations elsewhere such as p. 120.

I know I can use channel extenders, manual mixes and such but am curious if this configuration is built in.

Thanks,
Rick
rjtw is offline Find More Posts by rjtw
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:09 AM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
273 Posts
The 14SG does not have a 4ail/4flap configuration built in. To have that, you'll either need to use a "Y" harness for each wing to have two flap servos operating off of that wing's flap channel, or another type of device, such as the Futaba MSA-10 Servo Synchronizer.
Bax is offline Find More Posts by Bax
Old Dec 09, 2014, 12:03 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
Rick,

If you are going to use equal flap movement then you can use 4AIL/2FLP configuration and assign FLP1 to two channels and FLP2 to another 2 channels. Then you can separately adjust subtrim and end points for each one of the four flap channels.

If you need the inboard flaps to follow the flaps further out but to a greater angle, use a couple of programmable mixes from FLP1 to like AUX1 and another mix from FLP2 to AUX2 with 50-75% mixing value and connect the inboard flaps to the channels to which FLP1 and FLP2 are assigned and the outer flaps to the AUX1 and AUX2 channels.

You do not need any other devices or Y-s - the transmitter is capable of doing what you need even though it does not have a built-in 4AIL/4FLP configuration.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ivan, I was going to follow your suggestion but found something else which seems to work. The radio is just on the bench for now. I set up as a 4 ail/2 flap system, and set up the camber mix and ail-flap mix so that all 4 ailerons can respond to camber (by default the left slider) and the camber flaps respond as ailerons. Good. I then discovered there is a "camber" channel (channel 9) which is perfect for one brake flap... It only responds to the camber setting on the left slider, but not aileron commands. I then set channel 10 to also be camber, but reversed channel 10 so both brake flaps will work in unison.

Obviously some tuning will need to be done, but the basic idea of an 8 servo wing seems to be working, with seperate brake (inner) flaps which do not have an aileron mix, and outer camber flaps which do, plus four independently adjustable aileron channels.

Does this sound right or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Rick
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:34 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
Rick,

Sounds you got it. The 14SG is a very versatile transmitter and one setup can be done in more than one way. The more you dig in it the better IMO.

Do you need the inner flaps to work as ailerons?

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hey Ivan,
Thanks again for the quick feedback. This is going in an hmodel 6.6m Arcus. For the initial setup, I only want the outer flaps but not inner flaps to work as ailerons. If I want to add inner flaps to work as ailerons later, I guess I would add that as a programmed mix. You are right... as I start to dig into this, I can see there is a lot of versatility. Thanks again!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 05:01 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
If you want to add later the ability to use the inner flaps as ailerons you will need to assign a different function from CAMBER to one of the channels or you won't be able to get them to move in opposite directions.
RCG Plus Member