HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Sep 2002
62 Posts
Question
Parrot AR 2.0 - Does it stay interesting

Hi,

I've recently been offered a second hand Parrot AR 2.0. On friday when I first heard about it I was quite excited but couldn't get down to see it until later today.

Since then my head has taken over my heart and started question whether I really want to spend a lot of money on what may well turn out to be a 5 minute wonder.

I imagine that flight charateristics (I come from fixed wing and some heli experience) don't offer match. So it's down to the combination of flight and camera, and the possibility of flying by camera.

Another thing I'm concerned about is flying from an iPad when I am most accustomed to flying with a decent transmitter.

So, anyone have one or had one? What do you think, sustained interest or something you soon tire of?

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline Find More Posts by nheather
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The ipad option is lame. The parrot AR can be a decent quad with some work and a proper transmitter. But, the cost and effort required isn't trivial. Consequently, they are hard hard to sell for more than $150 used. $160 will get you a new MWC X250 kit, that's a lot less effort.

I started with planes, switched to helis 5 years ago because I don't need as much room to fly helis. I just recently switched to aerobatic quads. They are an entirely different flying experience, but they are a ton of fun. Here's a aerobatic quad. Learning how to fly a quad like this should hold your interest for quite awhile.
best toy ever (multicopter) (2 min 25 sec)

Here's a modified AR Parrot:
AR.Drone gone nuts (3 min 16 sec)
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Aug 05, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
My first remote controlled anything was an AR Drone 2.0. The reason I got it was because I was interested in aerial vidoegraphy. It was fun for a few weeks and the built in 720p camera was decent. I even manage to extend its range by using an old router to act as a repeater-bridge. This allowed me to fly the drone higher and farther.

However I really wanted to use my GoPros (which I have been using for capturing cycling videos) and for this the AR Drone is a little underpowered. I decided I was going to get an DJI FP450, FP550 or equivalent and use that as my next video camera platform. However I have to learn how to fly an R/C first and so I got the mQX and a DX8.

Flying the mQX was more fun than the drone and it got me hooked to R/C helis (I now have a 120SR and an MCPX and will probably get a 130X before the summer ends) that I have postponed building my video camera platform quadcopter. Long story short is that my AR Drone is not seeing too much flight time these days.
cyclo is offline Find More Posts by cyclo
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:58 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
I love mine for ariel photography. Just as a background, I had a MQX, got tired of it, and sold it. Quads just aren't my thing.

I got the Parrot drone because I was tried of relatively complicated setups for video and fpv on my helis. With the Parrot drone, I don't even need to take my TX with me and I take my iPad pretty much every I go. And the AR Drone is so simple that all I need to do is press launch, take my video or pictures and its automatically stored in my iPad's video folder. I can even upload to YouTube for the Parrot's app.

Video quality is decent but it's not a full on camera ship. It's just something that quick and simple to take and shoot. So, I can get videos where I would darn use a helicopter.

Also, you can switch the rudder/throttle button from the default right side to the more familiar left side in the settings.

And if you get tired of that, try some of their augmented reality games.
Allan Gibbs is offline Find More Posts by Allan Gibbs