HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2014, 02:22 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2014
49 Posts
For people who has the v3, what is the max prop size? can I fit a 13" prop in it?
siddharthasaha is offline Find More Posts by siddharthasaha
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:51 AM
Canada, AB, Kingman
Joined Apr 2010
87 Posts
I run 11X4.7 and the prop tips are about 1 1/4 inches from the brushless gimbal. You should be able to run 13" if you extend the arms slightly but your cutting to pretty close with the stock arms.

Bear
488 is offline Find More Posts by 488
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:17 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2014
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 488 View Post
I run 11X4.7 and the prop tips are about 1 1/4 inches from the brushless gimbal. You should be able to run 13" if you extend the arms slightly but your cutting to pretty close with the stock arms.

Bear
Thanks - 13" seems it would be cutting it super close.

Has anyone yet used their newly released 3-axis gimbal version?
siddharthasaha is offline Find More Posts by siddharthasaha
Old Dec 04, 2014, 04:02 PM
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
Central UK
Joined Apr 2008
36 Posts
I've bought what I now know to be a Spidex V2 from ebay with a fault. During the "getting to know it and fix the problem" phase (failed solderjoint held together by the heatshrink tubing making one motor very intermittently falter) I mailed the factory to see if there was any paperwork or spare parts support to be had several times and have zero reply.

Does anyone know if they are still trading?

I've not yet maidened it, because am still reconfiguring and completing the FPV install, and since my home is on the approach to an airport, I want to be bloody sure that it's never going to "flyaway", so I'm currently designing a failsafe. (I happen to be a lapsed fullscale pilot as well, so I'm quite keen to avoid any trouble of that sort, as I still have fantasies about being able to afford to fly some more full scale hours one day!)

An FYI for those who don't know, full size pilots tend to never go below 500 feet except when taking off or landing, so it's not a bad idea to voluntarily limit yourself to 150 metres of height above the terrain. It's also not a bad idea to get an aeronautical chart of the section of country where you are likely to be flying and learn enough to be able to recognise airfields and low level controlled airspace. An out of date one is way better than no chart at all and your local flying club may well find you one FOC and a bit of a heads up on how to read if if you explain why you want it..

(almost) Finally, I am intending to use a cheap imitation of the gopro (which with a tiny bit of shaving of the hole fits the gimbal nicely) and I've got the gimbal to accept it as is, although I can clearly see it will be wanting a bit of strategically placed extra weight to work properly at the moment because it's stable in pitch but "topples" sometimes in roll unless I add a load of blutac. But the ungodly whistling sound, I must ask, do they all do that? :c)

And finally, has anyone tried changing the motor mounts for anything a bit less prone to transmitting motor vibrations? Or drilling out the holes a bit and adding rubber grommets?
seems like a no-brainer to me...
swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Last edited by swallabat; Dec 04, 2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old Dec 04, 2014, 04:58 PM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,103 Posts
V2 musings!

Ive got a v2 and a V3 and had good success with both. At the time, they were the only true pnp gopro forward facing gimbal for a while till the rest caught up.

Never really had any issues with the motor plates, broke a couple in a real heavy fall, a prop nut loosened on one motor from about 25m, and while it went into heathland, only bent one arm and broke the motor plate, so that was a big result.

Some changed the G10 plates for 3mm Alloy ones but I never found the need and work on the principal if it ain't broke, it don't need fixin'

The gimbal isolation system is a bit hit and miss due to the neoprene/foam washers compressing over time just with the load of the gimbal.

There were many fixes, mine was to take a standard 20mm electric thro' grommet and split it into two horizontally and put a 1/2 like a washer under the G10 keep plate on the top. There are some pics of it earlier in the Spidex thread.

I've had no communication with them for 6 months, they did stop production of a few items and the company did change a bit but you could try to leave a message on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Quaternium?ref=stream

I have wiring diags for the V2/1 and V2/2 model gimbals, the rest is straightforward so if you need anything specific either ask here or send me a pm.

Other weak point is the solder joints on the IMU cable and if your gimbal suddenly goes crackers that's generally the reason!

The whistling is the gimbal motors set in low freq mode - I'm of an age where after a lifetime of noise, I can barely hear it but from memory, I thought they did change the code they shipped them out with to the higher freq control.

They are good little units, can be tricky with gains due to the asymmetric motor pattern but a decent set up Spidex should provide vibration free video and if it does not maybe you need to check balance of the motors/props.

Arm size is a little unorthodox at 14mm square, so if you cant find any replacements you may have to change the size a bit.

Some pictures of my 'bloated pig' can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1517
jhkiom is offline Find More Posts by jhkiom
Last edited by jhkiom; Dec 04, 2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added link