SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:17 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Irvine
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Discussion
Making a FV Northwestern (Deadliest Catch)

Hi everyone
Ive taken the plunge and decided to make my first model boat, ive been at it for a month or so. Thoroughly enjoyable and addictive, alot more goes into it than meets the eye.
Iam making a FV Northwestern from Deadliest Catch, i love the elegant old girl and havent seen too many try and make her, so hopefully ill do her justice.

Total Scratch build

I am a complete novice so some methods may seem bizarre, started out by carving her hull out of high density foam, which was reasonably fast and productive. having already made myself full sized 1:32 plans. I struggled for a while to adequately seal the foam for future fibregalss layup, but i got there in the end with plain old pollyfilla yes i was surprised how well it worked, it was easily sandable and took to the foam well.
So my journey onwards full of self discovery lol, alot of materials id never used before, the next was fibreglass, which was reasonably priced, my technique however for a first time was pretty good, the odd tear in the gel coat where i added the matting, however the resin and strength was all good.
Hull is ready for deck and rib fit outs, wheelhouse is formed, sadly the cold weather has halted recent progress, however nothing is lost and i have whipped up 100 odd pot frames.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisgi...7628647156587/
Chris Gillespie is offline Find More Posts by Chris Gillespie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:17 AM
Joined Sep 2006
918 Posts
looks great so far keep it going
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:48 AM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
749 Posts
Is pollyfilla the same as or similar to spackling compound?

Ed
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-37 View Post
Is pollyfilla the same as or similar to spackling compound?

Ed
its for filling holes in plaster walls, they obviously have different varients, some waterproof, some ultra hard when dry etc.

i had tried epoxy/polyester fillers, but they werent plyable enough and would go off to fast. I have no knowledge of spackling compound
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:51 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,277 Posts
Looking good Chris!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Hull Looks good! nice progress so far!
Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:32 PM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
749 Posts
Chris,

Pollyfilla and spackling is about the same stuff. Here's what I use to fill small dings, holes, etc, before glassing over:
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-37 View Post
Chris,

Pollyfilla and spackling is about the same stuff. Here's what I use to fill small dings, holes, etc, before glassing over:

Yeh that looks similar indeed A-37,
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:46 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,459 Posts
Looks like great work.
Wait,... I think we missed something.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:31 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,277 Posts
Lets see. I'll wager that it's a splash hull?
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:37 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
Wow, that is awesome. keep posting pics!
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Looks like great work.
Wait,... I think we missed something.

I already took a mould of the plug, what i have now is a decent enough cast a small bit of dollying up and itll be sweet
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
So i did my first water test last night, watertight and is very well balanced. However im going to need an awful lot of weight/ballast.

Iam planning to include a fair bit of hardware which shall hopefully bring the weight up. This will include 2 12v lead acid batteries in parrallel, feeding the motor and a large diesel sound generator.......6V lead acid in the bow for bow thruster, all the lights, bilge pump, radars and working crane mechanism.
Hopefully and with some good planning ill be able to fit all this in. Its not just about hiding it under the deck as i want an area accessible to incorporate maybe ballast tanks as this might help my dilemma.

I have a selection of motors, this is because ive been given some contradicting information i may have to trial and error it. There is a Johnsson 600 which some claim will be too fast..i think it might be the best option as the northwestern model will be very heavy and will need power, in real life she does 11-14 knots which is pretty decent. The other engines are a 540 6:1 which ive been advised as giving better scale speed, i have my concerns as scale speed is diffult to get right, at that size the water is like soup as opposed to water therfore more power is needed, which maybe makes it look a bit faster. The last one is a graupner 600 that is 8.5 volts so id need to run it off of a 6v battery. A friend has a lifeboat which is a bit shorter than my model but has twin triple 7s, this worries me as the speed isnt that fast. Anyway plenty of time later on to decide.

I did a mock up of the wheel house just to see how it looks, the wheelhouse was only taped together and put on temporary supports, the wheelhouse and captains quarters need to be trimmed too, but im very satisfied with the look and realistic form. I may have to look at the bow as it appears a bit sharp, not a lot though.

Another amateur mistake i made was to buy poundland epoxy, it was terrible stuff, didnt set properly and was very brittle when an area did eventually set. I already did my ribs and deck with the 'rubbish' epoxy so redid it with araldite which im sure will be far superior and trustworthy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisgi...7628647156587/
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:50 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Good job
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
From what I understand (though I have not seen her for many many years in person), she is very over-engined (so they don't work the plant very hard), she is basically limited by hull-speed rather than how fast her engines go. One thing you have to remember is that she also has massive bouyancy due to the tanks for storing fish and crab so it doesn't really surprise me that you are going to need buckets of ballast. One thing I would be aware of is that the Hansen family is pretty stringent about things being named after them and F/V Northwestern so while she may be approximately a scale model of a boat like her I would consider naming her something else.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008