Old Jun 07, 2006, 08:16 AM
Crash N Learn
Brunswick OHIO
Joined Apr 2006
59 Posts
Discussion
Skyfly modifications & improvements

Hello fellow skyfly owners.

I hope this thread will turn out to be a place for discussion on skyfly mods and improvements.

- battery choices
- motor
- control surfaces
- radio
- wings, etc

Improvements i have made:
The wing - I have put in a small wooden dowel as a spar to keep the wing from folding up. The wing is surprisingly rigid enough to give the plane a more solid feel
The vertical stab - I have cut a new one from some corroplast.

Improvements that need to happen!
the control reels for the fishing line. Those little buggers are crap!
I cannot get the one reel to hold. everytime i think its tight enough, i take to the air and it come loose, causing a crash! I am thinking the line may be twisted too much and wont reel up correctly. First off i am going to try clipping the line and tying in a new length to the end. If this doesnt work, i need to try a new reel. Does anyone have a good solution, or will we have to fight with these crappy reels forever?
DJ88 is offline Find More Posts by DJ88
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2006, 02:41 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
I have had a look at the Skyfly and think with some minor modding you could pull those fishline gadgets out and put in some servo's with control rods instead. You may need to upgrade to a real receiver and speed control but some inexpensive GWS parts would do nicely I think and probably turn it into a nicer plane too
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Jun 08, 2006, 01:31 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
My brother got one, the best mod for it is a trash can!

I've built some miserable looking ff foamies and any one of the first ones flew better than that thing did.
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jul 23, 2006, 02:14 AM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
386 Posts
It kills me how people are quick to post their opinion, but not give anything to back it up.

I've had my SkyFly for almost 6 months now, and I love it. Yeah, the controls are a bit slow, and I'm not a fan of the wire/rubber band setup, but it is *very* easy to get a ton of throw on the controls. I've flown everything from nitro, heli's, and now mainly electric. The SkyFly is a very nice flier, and if the radio range was a bit better, it would thermal easily. Everyone at my local club that has flown it agrees that for $100, it is a steal.

Also, it doesn't take much searching on the forum here to find a lot of people that are very happy with their SkyFly's.

Jiveout

Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
My brother got one, the best mod for it is a trash can!

I've built some miserable looking ff foamies and any one of the first ones flew better than that thing did.
jive is offline Find More Posts by jive
Old Jul 23, 2006, 02:24 AM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
386 Posts
Speaking of getting more throw on the controls:

Both the elevator and rudder are very stiff when new, so stiff in fact, that you get very little throw. Also, there has been reports of the hinges breaking after a mild crash, this fixes both problems. This has been covered elsewhere, but I'll post it here.

What I have done is take some clear packing tape, and run a line down both control surfaces. Do this on both sides, and make sure the tape sticks together in the middle. What you are doing is making the tape your hinge. After this is done, cut through the molded hinges on each end of both the elevator and rudder with an x-acto knife. I did not cut the center hinge, but I would say you could elimate that as well. After the mod, you'll have much more control throw, and the added benefit of reinforced hinges.

Jiveout
Old Jul 23, 2006, 02:26 AM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
386 Posts
Also, I fly a 7 cell 8.4v NiMh in mine with no problems. You'll notice that the battery area is molded to fit an 8.4 pack, and it does give a bit more oopmh!

Jiveout
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:44 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
I just finished my 7th flight with my Skyfly. The controls were nice and slow out of the box, but they really start to limit your learning after the first couple of flights in my opinion. I first moved the control arm rubber bands into the bottom slot and this quickened up response, but no additional control surface movement. This was fine for a couple flights, but I was wanting more.

I then moved the control lines down to the bottom hole on the control arm and got an additional .100 in. of rudder and elevator movement. This mod really helped the plane fly better.....much more responsive, without being too much for a beginner like myself.

This is my first plane ever and I can't say enough how well it flies for a total noob like myself. I would recommend the Skyfly to anyone wanting to try out an RC plane.
niner555 is offline Find More Posts by niner555
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:45 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
386 Posts
Gald you are having fun with the SkyFly!

My only complaint about the plane is the range is quoted @ 500ft. I think the plane has plently of power and flight duration to get up much higher. I had mine up fairly high Sunday, and had a ball just gliding back down.

Jiveout

Quote:
Originally Posted by niner555
I just finished my 7th flight with my Skyfly. The controls were nice and slow out of the box, but they really start to limit your learning after the first couple of flights in my opinion. I first moved the control arm rubber bands into the bottom slot and this quickened up response, but no additional control surface movement. This was fine for a couple flights, but I was wanting more.

I then moved the control lines down to the bottom hole on the control arm and got an additional .100 in. of rudder and elevator movement. This mod really helped the plane fly better.....much more responsive, without being too much for a beginner like myself.

This is my first plane ever and I can't say enough how well it flies for a total noob like myself. I would recommend the Skyfly to anyone wanting to try out an RC plane.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:10 AM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jive
Gald you are having fun with the SkyFly!

My only complaint about the plane is the range is quoted @ 500ft. I think the plane has plently of power and flight duration to get up much higher. I had mine up fairly high Sunday, and had a ball just gliding back down.

Jiveout
Yea, I would have to agree with you, the range is somewhat limited. I notice when I get some distance on it (400-500ft.), the throttle and controls will cut out for just a moment, this lets me know it's time to turn it around. I look at it this way, as a beginner, it is probably a good idea for me to keep the plane fairly close so that I can keep an eye on its attitude and direction. That being said, now that I have quite a few flights on it and my skills are increasing, I could definately use some additional range........but hey....for a $99.95 plane, I can't really complain

BTW...I have finally figured out how to loop the Skyfly:

Go into the wind about 100-150ft up, level at full throttle and dive at a 45 deg. angle. When you hear the motor pick up as much rpm as it can, pull full up on the stick. It should loop and go over the top and level out once it picks up some airspeed on the way down. Just remember, the plane will end the loop about 10 ft. below where you started it, so watch out for the ground

Oh yea....this is with my control surface mods done.....I don't know if the plane has enough control out of the box to do this, but i never tried.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:59 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Just hooked up the Skyfly to my Astro Flight Super Whattmeter and here is the data I got for the stock 6 cell NiMh battery.

Under full load at wide open throttle:

9 amp current draw
60 watts of energy
6.7 volts under load

I tested my other battery pack and it performed the same.
Last edited by niner555; Jul 25, 2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
14 Posts
Hi Folks,
I too have bought a skyfly and it does provide great "bang for the buck". Has anyone done any wing mods to turn it into a slow flyer of sorts. I find mine is a bit quick and slow responding to make for a relaxing flight. I notice there is no dihedral on most of the wing, just the upswept tips.Would addind a bit of dihedral make it more stable. I notice mine has a tendency to tipstall.
Paco
paco pena is offline Find More Posts by paco pena
Old Sep 04, 2006, 04:48 PM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Looping the Skyfly

Yes, you can loop the skyfly without any mods.
I have a stock skyfly, and was able to loop it with the same method you mention here, although its a rather large loop.
I am going to try the mod (moving the control line to the lower hole) to allow a tighter loop. The one I tried wound up finishing about 5 feet off the deck... I thought was seeing little $$$ passing before my eyes, as this little plane can pick up quite a bit o speed... in a noze dive...
The only issue I see with using the lower hole is that it may require more oomph to pull the elevator up. During a low battery landing condition this might be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niner555
Go into the wind about 100-150ft up, level at full throttle and dive at a 45 deg. angle. When you hear the motor pick up as much rpm as it can, pull full up on the stick. It should loop and go over the top and level out once it picks up some airspeed on the way down. Just remember, the plane will end the loop about 10 ft. below where you started it, so watch out for the ground

Oh yea....this is with my control surface mods done.....I don't know if the plane has enough control out of the box to do this, but i never tried.
cophan is offline Find More Posts by cophan
Old Sep 04, 2006, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
I have reinforced the wing similarly with several (ok Ill admit it im cheap) popcicle sticks.

On my 3rd or 4the flight my wing cracked, unbeknownst to me, and while about a fifty feet in the air, the wing folded in two. Fortunately the landing was not too bad as the unit had no other apparent damage, other than a split wing.
To repair this I used several 2 inch wide and 8 inch long pieces of strapping tape, the type with the fibers, to cover the the split and surrounding area. The center 1/4 (top and bottom) of the wing was covered with strapping tape. I took the plane out for another round, and found that even with the added weight, it flew just as good as before. Heck the plane would even loop.

I did notice that there was some flexing at the old split, so I added a couple of popcicle sticks and more tape. Yes it still flys just fine.

Although the plane flys just fine with this snazzy tape job, I did go out and buy a spare wing... heck, its only 10 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ88
Improvements i have made:
The wing - I have put in a small wooden dowel as a spar to keep the wing from folding up. The wing is surprisingly rigid enough to give the plane a more solid feel
Old Sep 04, 2006, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
I do wish the folks at hobico would quality inspect their products better though.
The first skyfly I had, would not fire up at all. It was DOA. I took the plane back to the shop where we bought it and after several tests later, they too confirmed it was DOA.
The second unit fired up without a problem and initially flew great, however in looking at the overall quality, I think whoever inspected it was impared. The removable canopy hold down latch was aff by a good 1/4 of an inch, and although its functional, the canapy still sits off center. Im not a perfectionist. This is plain slopy work.
The receiver is another issue. I noticed that the unit would sometimes fire up, and sometimes not. I verified I had battery power, and even swapped transmitters and crystals with another skyfly. Still the receiver would sometimes power up and other times it would not. - very frustrating -
I contacted the folks at Hobico - skyfly support, and initially received the pat answers..... be sure your throttle is all the way off, yada yada yada... Eventually after several similar e-mails they simply suggested I send the entire unit back. What a pain.

I still like flying the Skyfly, and its good for a beginner as the replacement parts are inexpensive, and easy to swap. Field repairs are a snap too. That being said, its a disappointment that I had to get one that was DOA, and then get one that looks like someone was impared while assembling the unit.
Hopefully I can get enough experience out of flying the skyfly before I upgrade to the next skill level in flying.

Do other people have this same issue with hobico products?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 01:42 AM
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
I have a quick question to ask. I recently purchased a SkyFly after reading alot of the messages on this board and noticed that people were frequently changing the rubber bands on the tail controls and wing. I wanted to know, is there a "generic size" rubber band for each of these purposes that I can pick up in bulk at an office supply store or do I have to pay a heck of alot of money for 2 rubber bands because they're listed as "Hobbico parts?" Any advice you all may have would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to my first flight this weekend.
j2773 is offline Find More Posts by j2773