HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:31 AM
Dallas, Texas
Joined Feb 2005
148 Posts
Discussion
Eraser Extreme info wanted

Hi all. I'm getting back into the hobby after a couple of years and trying to setup an Eraser Extreme. Would anyone happen to know what the surface throws, camber settings and CG range are? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
vinster100 is offline Find More Posts by vinster100
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:20 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
there is some info on the eraser here:
http://www.f3j.cz/eraser.htm

Manufacturer settings aren't always the best, but it is a start.

If you search on here you will find a few threads relating to the Eraser, no doubt.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:37 AM
Dallas, Texas
Joined Feb 2005
148 Posts
I have searched the groups already for the info but was unable to find anything I needed so thought I would try posting. I also saw those drawings however I'm confused by two things about them. First is it says "Eraser 2000" and I don't know if that is the same as the Eraser Extreme and second is, I have an x-tail version and the plans show a v-tail version so I'm not sure if the throws would be the same.

One other thing that is confusing about the diagrams is that they show camber changes for the flap in start and speed flight modes only, not one for thermal. It would be great if I could find the build instructions for the plane.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:07 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
I was under the impression that the "xtreme" version was different layup. I don't think it is made in a different mould than the eraser 2000.

info here:
http://www.icare-rc.com/eraser.htm

Anyway, I think if you start with the Vtail CG it will probably be on the forward side for the Xtail. I think it is highly unlikely the Xtail will have less tail area than the vtail.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,339 Posts
In 2003, I built an Eraser Extreme DPR. Don't remember much about it except that it flew extremely well. I set up the throws according to the instructions and only had to cut down the throws a little and eventually moved the cg slightly forward. The recommended throws and cg are a good place to start.
ChuckA is online now Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:33 PM
Dallas, Texas
Joined Feb 2005
148 Posts
ChuckA, you don't happen to still have the instructions for the plane do you? Are you saying to use the throws that are in the plans on the website even though they are for the vtail? Do you have any camber settings and are they for the flaps only or for the ailerons as well?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:41 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Going on very distant memory here, but I recall the ballpark CG to be at the center wing bolt.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:34 PM
Northumberland,UK
Joined Oct 2004
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinster100 View Post
Hi all. I'm getting back into the hobby after a couple of years and trying to setup an Eraser Extreme. Would anyone happen to know what the surface throws, camber settings and CG range are? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Some info from my old flying partner courtesy of the Knewt site
http://www.knewt.com/planes/f3j/eraser.htm

As it says, the extreme had curly-up tips while the 2000 didn't.
psoff3x is offline Find More Posts by psoff3x
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:40 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinster100 View Post
ChuckA, you don't happen to still have the instructions for the plane do you? Are you saying to use the throws that are in the plans on the website even though they are for the vtail? Do you have any camber settings and are they for the flaps only or for the ailerons as well?
Sorry but the only thing I have is the log I kept while checking out and trimming and most of the notes were about setting up the Evo that I had just bought. I set up the model according to what was included with the kit and what was published in the Januaary 2002 issue of S&E Modeler magazine and I think that was about the Vtail verson.

The initial intial flight was on October 18 2003. The CG was 4.2 inches aft of the wing leading edge and I did have to add a little nose weight to get the model to fly the way I liked. The tow hook was mounted 4.3 inches aft of the wing leading edge and remained there until I sold the model. Over the winter I built a Compulsion and liked it almost as well a s the Eraser. Most of the flying was in October 2003 andd I didn't fly much that winter. The Eraser did not fly $400 better than the Compulsion so in the spring, I sold it to Walt VanGorder.
ChuckA is online now Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:49 PM
Dallas, Texas
Joined Feb 2005
148 Posts
Thank you for the link Psoff3x. That should give me a good starting point and seems pretty close to what the drawings showed.

Thought I might add a bit of history on me and this plane. This is my first full sized and flapped sailplane. I purchased it here on rcgroups.com back in 09, flew it a few times in one day but the last flight ended with a hard landing which caused a small crack on the tail boom. It was slight but I didn't want to take any chances so I repaired it.

However shortly after the repair I purchased a Harley, got a new girl friend, moved and had my radio equipment and a few planes stolen from a storage unit. The result being that I haven't flown in a few years. To make things worse, the hard drive where I had all my model information stored went belly up on me so I lost all info and settings I had on the Eraser.

I recently purchased an Airtronics SD-10g so I'm going through the learning curve with that as well. The radio I had stolen was a JR 9303. I never really warmed up to the JR so I'm hoping I like the Airtronics better and so far I do.

Since I'm still new to full house ships I find that I have questions about flap settings. Other than camber changes and being deployed for landing of course, are the flaps supposed to remain at the neutral point or are they supposed to work in concert with the ailerons for turns?

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far.

P.S. I'm still hoping someone out there other than me has an Eraser. If so I'd love to chat with you.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:58 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psoff3x View Post
As it says, the extreme had curly-up tips while the 2000 didn't.
Other way around, I think. All the Extremes I saw over here (and owned two of them) were based on the Eraser 2000 mold - flat tips.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:53 PM
Northumberland,UK
Joined Oct 2004
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
Other way around, I think. All the Extremes I saw over here (and owned two of them) were based on the Eraser 2000 mold - flat tips.

Tom
I made the mistake of referring to the extreme as having turned up tips. It had both. The Xtreme was a manufacturing layup technology used by Lubos and both the Eraser 2000 and Eraser were available in a variety of layups, including Xtreme.

What was available in different parts of the world was simply a marketing decision. Here in the UK the Xtreme and XTreme D-Box layups were available in both variants of the Eraser.

My Eraser 2000 was the F3B version with flat tips, while my flying partner's (and original importer of Erasers into the UK) was the Eraser Extreme D-Box with turned up tips.

The manufacturer's website explains all

http://www.f3j.cz/technol.htm

Pete
psoff3x is offline Find More Posts by psoff3x
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
311 Posts
I have been rebuilding an Eraser (V-Tail) for a while now and have only flown it a few times. I put the CG at about 40%-42% root chord and that seems to work well, although it might be a bit nose heavy for some folks. I plan on moving it back another percent or two. I also have two sets of wings. The original set that came with the fuse has straight tips and is a fiberglass and foam (Herex?) sandwich and the second set of wings have curved up tips and is a fiberglass and balsa sandwich construction. The all up weight with the original wings is around 77 ounces and with the other wings, it should be around 81 ounces. I haven't finished the other set of wings yet.

You probably saw my posts about this model from your search, but here's some links so you can see the repair work I've done.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165202

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745606

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707446

Scotty
wsmorton is online now Find More Posts by wsmorton
Last edited by wsmorton; Jan 21, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,939 Posts
With your radio, you will be able to have either flap only/aileron only, or with the flip of a switch, have full-span ailerons and full-span camber. A couple of mm down for camber should be a good starting point (might have to also mix in elevator correction).

Overall throws will depend on your CG (aft CG=less throw) so you may just have to simply fly it to see what works for you.

Otherwise, I'm so specific help whatsoever.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:29 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
695 Posts
Pete,

I had a few years ago, what is was told was, an Xtreme that I purchased second hand. It has a carbon D-box (you could see the carbon under the paint) and it also has flat tips. It's still being passed around our local club with no crashes. Imagine that no patches on the boom!

When I set it up I started with the settings from Lobos's web site. Can't remember what I ended up with though. I also remember seeing a review here on Groups for the V-tail. Those settings were also in the same ball park.

Tom is correct if I remember the CG was around the center wing bolt. Also, I always mix aileron into flap for added roll control. You just need to get it close then go fly it and see what you need to change to fit your style.

Mark
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark