HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Graham 65, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:55 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Build Log
Bubble Dancer Flys

This is a rather late update on the electric Bubble Dancer build.
The delay was mostly a lack of progress when it came to the fuselage pod. I should have built everything else and then would have had more reason just to get on with it. Anyway after much huffing and puffing and buying composites materials and endless thread reading progress did eventually start. The first plug got destroyed when I tried to mould a canopy and stuck the mould to it. oh dear me.
Second plug was made from MDF which is quite easy to sand to shape and reasonably tough. This was sealed with epoxy and painted with rattle cans.
A canopy mould was made and with PVA released ok. Phew ee. On to the parting board and then the moulds, this went ok some bubbles trapped and the first side was not left long enough before the glass was added but it works. Bubbles fixed and first fuselage popped out, the wet seem was poorly joined. More help from RC groups and number 2 was a good seem but wrong cloth due to shortage, number 3 is a keeper, could do better, and will, but need to get on!
Finished tails and sanding, joined parts to fuselage and boom, covered the wings after much sanding and its ready to fly.
AUW 1315g or 46.7oz inc 3s 1300 pack and HL switch
First flight Saturday 14 July, awful morning then cleared and clouds bubbled nicely, very little wind. Clubmate Steve took some photos and then it was time to fly. Full power and a good chuck and away she goes. Slight adjustment to the elevator setting and all was well, too much movement on everything but still flying great, very sensitive to thermals, turns great, flys a dream landed after 11 minutes from a 19 second motor run, maybe 130m high. Relaxed and reduced the movement on rudder and elevator, charged the battery(just because!) and had another go this time Height Limiter installed, 200m launch and 36 minutes flight and could have gone on, log attached. Great day, super thermals, plane flys fantastically well. Thanks to Steve for the flying photos.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Sep 2003
116 Posts
E-Bubble Dancer

Graham,

Great blog and pictures. Thanks for taking the time...

I'm in the process of building my second BD and have decided to make this one electric. I am very interested in your build and hope you will share some information with me? Can you please tell me the following:
1. Motor Size - make and model would be great
2. Prop Size & Spinner size
3. Battery size
4. Controller Manufacturer and size
5. Where did you place your servos (elevator and rudder)? Under the wing saddle?
6. CG
7. From the leading edge of the wing, how far forward is the front of the pod?
8. AUW
9. Down Thrust

I know this is a lot to ask but I would be grateful if you could fill in some of the blanks for me.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Kay is offline Find More Posts by Ron Kay
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:15 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Hi Ron,

Good luck with your build. Are you doing another wing or using your original?
1. Motor is a Turnigy D3542/6 1000kv
2. Prop is Aeronaut 13x8, Spinner 38mmx5mm Vladamir from Hyperflight.co.uk
3. Normal 1300mah 3 s 45c Turnigy Nanotech, also use 2200mah sometimes
4. ESC Turnigy Plush 60Amp
5. Servos under wing see picture(MKS6100)
6. Sorry not recorded cofg, as plan!
7. LE to front of fuselage 10 5/8"(would add another inch if doing again)
8. AUW 1315g or 46.7oz inc 1300 pack
9. Very little, eyeballed, could use shade more have a little throttle/elev mix in radio.

Graham
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Sep 2003
116 Posts
Graham,

Thank you very much for the information, I appreciate it. Yes this BD will be using the basic BD wing design but I plan another for the future that will be lighter. I'm also looking at incorporating a "V" tail. Now this is what happens when I have too much time on my hands. Too many projects and too little time.

Again, thanks very much for the information.

Ron
Ron Kay is offline Find More Posts by Ron Kay
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,922 Posts
I've just seen this. Congratulations on finishing the Bubble Dancer. It looks very nice indeed. I hope it gives you enjoyment for many years to come.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton