SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Beginning XC soaring

Hey everybody, Came across RC XC soaring web site on the web and I have some questions.
1) Can u still get the xcountry pins? I cu have to be a AMA member.

2) Ive read many of the posts on the forum, u can try this without spending thousands of dollars right?

2.5) Whats the cheapest way someone has managed the 25K?

3) Are there limitations on how u launch, IE can u bike tow ,car tow ,rubber band launch? Can u use motorgliders although i dont think i would?

4) From the application, I take it all u really need to validate the flight is 2 witnesses. Can I augment this with tracks from my handy garmin?

I was into flying F-27 strykers. I think I can reuse all my parts and put together something. Looking forward to giving it a try soon.
marcdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by marcdjohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
260 Posts
You can fly XC with anything that you can climb in thermals with. I've stuck my head out the window of a Toyota before chasing a TD ship down the road.

Find a way to try it and record your effort. Then the next time you fly you'll have a record to try to beat.

Find an XC contest and offer to help a team. An extra set of eyes is always welcome.

Mike
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,186 Posts
Best way to get involved is to joint up with an existing team as spotter/driver to see what we are doing. This costs nothing but the trip.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Feb 2005
79 Posts
Xbxc

I have acquired an XCBC, which I have refurbished to fly at the NATS in 2 weeks. My goal is to get my Level V goal and return flight.

The plane is set and ready to go, but I want to verify the CG that the pro's are using. Test flights were done at 27.5" from the nose (4.5" from the leading edge). It seemed a bit nose heavy, and took some up-trim. I am back at 4.75" from the leading edge, but will not have time to test fly before the NATS. Anybody have any good numbers to share?

Thanks,

Ron
soarx4 is offline Find More Posts by soarx4
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Jan 2005
277 Posts
Ron

I assume the glider you are talking about is the SBXC. 27.5" from the nose is what I originally set mine up at. Originally I flew it with a Garmin Etrex in it to log the flights. Later I went with a much lighter logger, probably about 4 oz lighter. I never checked the CG with the lighter logger and I did not notice a significant difference when flying.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Feb 2005
79 Posts
Bump
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
My notes show I used 27 1/2" to 27 7/8" measured from the nose.
Most TD pilots will feel it to be nose heavy. That's OK as you be thankful when it's a speck.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2005
79 Posts
Thanks. My goal is to get my LSF 10 k. Stable & fast will be good.