SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,534 Posts
New fuselage flight
Freewing SU-35 another flight (1 min 56 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,940 Posts
Nice vid URRL! Smooth landing!

Oh yes, and I forgot to post this, just for the records of grass scale take-off achievements:

SU-35 30th to 32nd (13 min 9 sec)

SU-35 Training (11 min 43 sec)

And here too on min 8:35, Difficult but not impossible
SU-35 14th to 16th (11 min 3 sec)

Cheers!
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Last edited by SU-4ever; Oct 31, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
That dry grass seems to help. Probably better than hard runway! Due to 'bouncing along' possibly helping it pop-up some useful AoA, and one bounce or another (seeing they occur so rapidly) will be just the right minor AoA addition for assisting take-off.
I guess it is almost like an automatic minor up elevator flick.

I was watching all those take-offs. That was what mine did off the road... same 'linear' take-off, not a jump. No "Up Flick" from me at all.
But not what it did on short/thickish green grass!!! (Football oval). The speed impedance of that was a major detriment to getting quite enough airspeed. (but it got there)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Oct 31, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,534 Posts
Spectacular videos there SU-4ever
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:04 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,940 Posts
In green grass, the Sukhoi wasn't even able to take off, sure the dried grass helps, but I've flown in compacted ground and asphalt and that is sooooooooooooo much easier. So no, not better than hard runway in any sense. Bumps and friction gets in the way of speed and besides the plane suffers a lot of stress. The dried grass compared to asphalt and alike is not a better but a very, very, worst.
If you can't take off easily on an asphalt runway you gotta be doing something very wrong

Thanks urrl
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:20 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
That dry grass seems to help. Probably better than hard runway!)
Ya I don't think so. Maybe grass field vs grass field, but still I don't think so vs a smooth grass field. Plus the beating the airframe, gear, and struts are taking. I'll take a hard runway/paved any day.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:21 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,940 Posts
Paved you say?
Shut up and take my money!!!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Paved you say?
Shut up and take my money!!!
I prefer Dollars to Euros in that case
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,534 Posts
When you include $0.00 for ground shipping to my area $319 total is a pretty good deal. Considering a yellow SU mate for my grey one
http://www.bananahobby.com/desert-ca...5410-prd1.html

I have the fan motor and ESC for this though but the packaging is way below par and I've experienced damage on delivery from previous models.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html
So we'll see.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
262 Posts
Save your money. Go for this my friend,

http://www.ready2fly.com/pi.php/read...-Yakowlew.html
genghiskt is online now Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2011
262 Posts
Freewing is re-introduce Australian colour F18 worldwide soon. I will be getting my ME-262 mid of this month. Lol...
genghiskt is online now Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
In green grass, the Sukhoi wasn't even able to take off, sure the dried grass helps, but I've flown in compacted ground and asphalt and that is sooooooooooooo much easier. So no, not better than hard runway in any sense. Bumps and friction gets in the way of speed and besides the plane suffers a lot of stress. The dried grass compared to asphalt and alike is not a better but a very, very, worst.
If you can't take off easily on an asphalt runway you gotta be doing something very wrong

Thanks urrl
I would think that you have a big advantage due to you flying in denser air around sea level if I understood one of your previous posts. Yes, dry grass could certainly help a little to break ground effects. However, it will induce drag/friction that may counter the advantage. However, bouncing will help break ground effects if ground speed decent. At 4200 ft I just cannot get this bugger to rotate in a calm manner no matter what tricks that I try unless flying in 15 mph winds and up. When flying it at 2200 ft in Vegas it was so much better in the rotate and I could fly much more slowly and perform very scale like aerobatics when I was flying a demonstration flight. Landings at the lower altitudes where perfect and floaty. The top end was slower than my home field. At higher altitude she just does not have the same lift so tends to fall off the flips and high AOA maneuvers. My Sbach also demonstrated similar flight changes at the same field.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:27 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
834 Posts
So, I got talked into particpating in a local RC air show here in Taipei with my SU-35. This means that, rather than cruising leisurely around the sky and not risking any crash (the way I've been flying this thing ever since I bought it), I need to do some basic but cooler-looking moves like rolls, loops, inverted flight, and Cuban Eights. I've performed these maneuvers quite regularly on my FMS warbirds, but it's been a long time since I did any of them on a jet - and only ever on my first-generation Parkzone Habu and never on this SU-35. So, can I realistically transfer what I'm doing on the FMS warbirds to this jet? Anything I should be aware of? I only have two weeks to get ready, so it has to be a continuation of old skillset, not the picking up of a new skillset. Any advice would be great. Tks!

Kevin

(PS my Su-35 is completely stock - the PNP version.)
kchen95 is online now Find More Posts by kchen95
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
So, I got talked into particpating in a local RC air show here in Taipei with my SU-35. This means that, rather than cruising leisurely around the sky and not risking any crash (the way I've been flying this thing ever since I bought it), I need to do some basic but cooler-looking moves like rolls, loops, inverted flight, and Cuban Eights. I've performed these maneuvers quite regularly on my FMS warbirds, but it's been a long time since I did any of them on a jet - and only ever on my first-generation Parkzone Habu and never on this SU-35. So, can I realistically transfer what I'm doing on the FMS warbirds to this jet? Anything I should be aware of? I only have two weeks to get ready, so it has to be a continuation of old skillset, not the picking up of a new skillset. Any advice would be great. Tks!

Kevin

(PS my Su-35 is completely stock - the PNP version.)
Hi kevin.... My experience on the SU35 is that it will perform with ease any of the maneuvers you described plus quite a few more. At the 2200 ft altitude I was able to slow the flight down by about 50% thus flying more on power and TV's. Prior to the trip to Vegas I watched a couple of Youtube vids with the full scale one doing its stuff. I made notes on speed and maneuvers performed them with the Mig 29 with TV's in my Aerofly Simulator and practiced the slower high alpha performance until I new it by heart. Then off to Vegas.

I do all my higher speed standard maneuvers with TV's turned off which makes it fly pretty much like a standard pattern or sport plane. For the slower high alpha stuff I flip the TV's on and just go for it. The big thing here is to have the TV's perfectly aligned. On practice day every time I came out of a flip or vertical stall when slow the SU would fall off to one wing with TV's on and under power. When low and slow this can increase your heart rate and give a wet feeling down the back of your leg. So I really checked them over and found one side was off on the vertical by about one or two mm. I corrected this and also dialed in 1.5mm of up thrust for both when in normal flight.

Now it comes out of the flips nice and straight and very predictable. I also do my demoes in high rates with the CG more to the rear. This aircraft looks like a handful but it is really a pussy cat to fly. So the trick for demo flights is to practice slower speeds and lots of vertical with power maneuvers. If you look at SU's videos I believe that is how he is flying and I assume it is not slowed down with post production. If you watch all of his vids you will see just about every maneuver known to man so rest assured that this bird will do them with ease. I'm sure SU and V8 can add a lot more has they both have a lot of stick time on this model.

My setup is stock motors ESC etc. Upgraded Hitec servos, I use a BEC and fly with Zippy 40C 5000 6S pack. My battery is about 1 1/2" rearwards from the front of the trey. I'm probably about 10 oz over stock weight due to repairs after being shot down by the secret service along with three other guys.

The way I try something new is to perform it in the climb rather than straight and level. This is how I was taught in the RAF. It is a lot safer to practice a knife edge going up rather than across the flight line. So if you screw up you have a better chance to recover. So all my new stuff is done in a slight climb of say 15 deg or so. Once you know the aircraft and your skill set then you go more horizontal and so forth. Nothing worse than trying an eight point roll then hitting the ground cause you boobed up!

Hope this helps
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Last edited by acesimmer; Nov 01, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
On practice day every time I came out of a flip or vertical stall when slow the SU would fall off to one wing with TV's on and under power. When low and slow this can increase your heart rate and give a wet feeling down the back of your leg. So I really checked them over and found one side was off on the vertical by about one or two mm. I corrected this and also dialed in 1.5mm of up thrust for both when in normal flight.

Now it comes out of the flips nice and straight and very predictable. I also do my demoes in high rates with the CG more to the rear.

Hope this helps
Had the same problem after I repaired her. TV was sticking and I re-lubed the nozzles and cleaned em. Then it was still dropping wing on turns, really made flying her a scary feeling especially with the amount of time I've had flying her u knew something wasn't tight. Noticed that one of my nozzles were off center and adjusted it, bam problem gone. Sheeah she was starting to make me feel like everytime I took her up I was lucky to land her safely.