HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
I'd still like to see the "Next Day Air" quote from UPS. As mentioned, UPS does not charge a "brokerage fee" for Next Day Air shipments, so it is possible that UPS might be a few sheckels less than USPS *if* the postal package gets dinged for taxes by "Customs Canada.

The only way to decide which way is best, is to get the quote from UPS for next day air service and go from there.

Regards

Christian
Based on this UPS page you'll get hit with dimensional weight cost going Air:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...im_weight.html

Which at 49"x25"x4" = 36 lbs / 17 kg

Ran it through the estimate rate site telling it from me (Minneapolis) to Winnipeg telling it I would pay at a UPS store and it came out to 268.70 USD for Worldwide Saver Shipping. Standard which does not get hit by dimensional weight is 26.46 USD.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Last edited by grimbeaver; Apr 11, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Priority Mail International comes in at $41.10 but it's cutting it close at the box has to be under 108" length + girth and a 49x25x4 box is 107". I'm assuming the dimensions posted in an earlier post are roughly correct.

Honestly you want to make it as cheap as possible. Mail it to a business address and mark it "Commercial Sample" on the customs and maybe include a sales/promo sheet in the box. Should pass through without taxes (at least I think it will).
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Found the magic page:
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal...roits-eng.html
Quote:
Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item.
So value it at CAN$15, it's foam, who's going to argue. And then...
Quote:
To process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient $8.50. If the item is duty-free and tax exempt, no amount is charged.
So there you go, that's how you do it duty/tax/fee free.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:01 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
Opps...someone already posted an answer to air shipping...

But, while we are on the subject of Canada, if I lived in Canada and was buying a product sold by a Canadian based company over the web to be shipped by the Canadian Post Office to my house...are there any federal or provincial taxes??? If so, how high are these taxes? I would assume these taxes(if any) are collected by the company selling the product and not the Post Office?
RJKIRK is offline Find More Posts by RJKIRK
Last edited by RJKIRK; Apr 11, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJKIRK View Post
Opps...someone already posted an answer to air shipping...

But, while we are on the subject of Canada, if I lived in Canada and was buying a product sold by a Canadian based company over the web to be shipped by the Canadian Post Office to my house...are there any federal or provincial taxes??? If so, how high are these taxes? I would assume these taxes(if any) are collected by the company selling the product and not the Post Office?
Looks like the vendor does collect the taxes. All your answers probably can be found here:
http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/5155/
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Ouch, that's not good..... but not surprising as space is limited on aircraft vs on a truck. Ok, I will consider being a trooper and have my next package shipped via USPS and see what happens. It's close enough to the UPS cost that it's probably worth it for me. There is never anyone at home when the UPS truck rolls by... On the other hand, I'm always in touch with my CPC guy/gal, so that is probably the way to go for me.

Regards

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Based on this UPS page you'll get hit with dimensional weight cost going Air:
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
Thanks Grimbeaver,
I'll give that link a look see...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:49 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
Speaking of seconds at the Show... is there any update on a possible next shipment from the manufacturer?

Regards

Kaptain "Impatient, to a fault!" Zero
It has not been scheduled into the manufactures production plan yet. Best guess on having foam to sell from the next shippment is 2-4 weeks. Hopefully we will have a planned date/better estimate sometime next week.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
This is a bit of a sticky wicket sort of thing.... It all depends. I shall attempt to explain as best I know it.

The Goods and Services Tax. aka the GST, is a *Federal* tax and applies equally in all provinces/territories in Canada. There is also a provincial tax that varies from province to province. Alberta is unique in that it does not charge a Provincial tax. To make it more interesting, some provinces have gone into an agreement with the Federal Gov. to allow the Feds to collect all the taxes for both Fed and Provincial in one go... This becomes the Harmonized Sales Tax aka HST. The reason not all provinces have switched to the HST system is because their local tax is not applied to all classes of goods that the GST applies to and which would be a requirement for the province to switch to the HST system.

Ok, so now we have the inter-provincial trade issue. In Manitoba, where I live, if I order a product from say Ontario (but it does not matter which province), the company I order from is required to collect the GST only, UNLESS they have a branch office/store/warehouse/sales rep or some such IN Manitoba, in which case they would be required to collect both the GST and Provincial Sales Tax (PST). If they only have to charge the GST, it is incumbent on the purchaser to report and pay the PST to the local government which only really happens when it's a business to business transaction... Individuals would rarely do this except in the matter of purchasing cars/trucks/motorhomes and the like where we have to register in the province we are in and the local government then steps in and says "hand over the PST sonny, or you don't get to register your new toy".

If I lived in a province that uses the HST system, a company in a different province with no direct ties to my province would still have to charge me the HST as it is all collected by the Federal government.

As you can see, it's all quite complex and there are some shady loop holes depending on where you order from and where you happen to live. Customs Canada charges either GST+PST or HST depending on what province a package is going to when it comes from outside Canada, but they do not have anything to do with inter-provincial stuff.

And that is how it *works* in real life, as far as I can tell....

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
So Kaptain, from your post and the link, it sounds like taxes go from 5%(Alberta) up to 15%(Nova Scotia). The provicial taxes for web sales are much as they are in this country. If there in a business entity in the state(store location, etc) websales going to that state are taxed at the state's sales tax rate. The only difference is we do not have an additional National Sales Tax.

Of course if you're Amazon you can write your own rules. Even with distribution centers across the country they only collect sales tax for those living in the state of Washington.

And yes, legally you are suppose to report and pay state sales tax on web purchases where no sales taxes were collected...but nobody does....
Last edited by RJKIRK; Apr 11, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
And yes, legally you are suppose to report and pay state sales tax on web purchases where no sales taxes were collected...but nobody does....
Technically you are supposed to pay "use" tax which is usually the same rate as sales tax and of course everything varies from state to state. For example in Minnesota you only have to pay it if you purchase more then $770 of taxable items in a calender year. Don't ask me how they came up with that number lol.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,841 Posts
Ouch, can we quit, my brain is starting to hurt!

Isn't it funny how we can take an apparently normal person, vote them into office, and in short order, they become all wierd and want to do strange things with numbers?
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:29 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,739 Posts
so did i read some where next shipment in 3-4 weeks
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,315 Posts
Kaptian Great response , you explained that way better then i ever could have . Confusing as heck and yet they keep changing it to make it harder to understand . We have HST here which was put in and then voted down so now its being removed ...
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:07 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,841 Posts
3-4 weeks is a good optimistic guess. Just received a sample of new formula today, and evaluating it.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut