HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2003
342 Posts
Discussion
radio ideas

Hi, I was heavy into electric planes around 8 years or so ago, then I quit. At the time I owned a jr xp8103, which I love the feel of but I hate the menu system with a passion. I do love the display.
Anyway, I am back now, will do some electric planes, simple planes and I will learn quad copters and play with fpv.
I want to go to a 2.4 radio.
I am willing to go around $250, I would like something like the dx7, I like the look and I like the screen type, but I also see the turnugy dx9r, and it has the nice screen and looks like it would be comfortable to hold, and with module and battery it would cost about half of the spektrum dx7. I do not want to get something that is less expensive and regret it latter because it is junk, feels bad in the hand, and has difficult menu system. I am open to other radios...
Also one more question, if I get the dx7 am I stuck with spektrum recievers? Also the orange 6 channel looks interesting, seems to have the features I need.
Cavi is offline Find More Posts by Cavi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:28 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,914 Posts
The Spektrum DX7 has been replaced by the DX7s quite some time ago, with Spektrum DSM2/DSMX or Orange Tx you can use other compatible receivers which works in DSM2/DSMX format like the Orange & Lemond receivers(a lot cheaper than Spektrum!):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773138
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=orang+receiv
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=orang+receiv
Your JR XP8103 isn't a bad radio, what it is you don't like with the prog. system?
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:41 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi View Post
Hi, I was heavy into electric planes around 8 years or so ago, then I quit. At the time I owned a jr xp8103, which I love the feel of but I hate the menu system with a passion. I do love the display.
Anyway, I am back now, will do some electric planes, simple planes and I will learn quad copters and play with fpv.
I want to go to a 2.4 radio.
I am willing to go around $250, I would like something like the dx7, I like the look and I like the screen type, but I also see the turnugy dx9r, and it has the nice screen and looks like it would be comfortable to hold, and with module and battery it would cost about half of the spektrum dx7. I do not want to get something that is less expensive and regret it latter because it is junk, feels bad in the hand, and has difficult menu system. I am open to other radios...
Also one more question, if I get the dx7 am I stuck with spektrum recievers? Also the orange 6 channel looks interesting, seems to have the features I need.
For 250 you should find a perfect used DX8- best choice -best use of your money seen em as low as 200 bucks
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:19 PM
Joined Jul 2003
342 Posts
The programming is niot straight forward on the 8103. Once you use it a bit it works but still it is not intuative. What are the positives and negatives of getting a 2.4 module for my 8103? Also i did end up ordering one of the orange 6 chanbel transmitters for not, it was cheap and i do like the menu setup. Depending on what you all tell me about using a module on the 8103 i might keep it
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:22 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
828 Posts
Dx8
Gharddog03 is offline Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:45 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,259 Posts
He was curious about the turnigy and nobody's mentioned Taranis yet?... interesting.

Anyways, it runs OpenTx which is very capable firmware. The case is rather budget, but the OpenTx doesn't mess around. It used to be impossible to get due to demand, now it's easier to get a hold of...
http://www.gravesrc.com/FrSky_Tarani...anisx8rpcb.htm

...and HobbyKing doesn't get a dime! which is even better.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:13 AM
Joined Jul 2003
342 Posts
That taranis looks great, i might even have to order one even though i already bought one of tbe orange ones
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:13 AM
Joined Jul 2003
342 Posts
Is there any advantage to the dx8 over the taranis. Honestly the taranis looks better.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:20 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Is there any advantage to the dx8 over the taranis. Honestly the taranis looks better.

Depends on who you ask I suppose... I wouldn't swap if I received a free DX8, personally.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:26 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,914 Posts
Its not a question of look but what it can do which really makes the Taranis so special! The Spektrum DX8 isn't even in the same league when it come to options, its not a bad radio but it has severe limitations when it come to flexibility in programing!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Depends on who you ask I suppose... I wouldn't swap if I received a free DX8, personally.
I was about to say the reverse!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:56 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,259 Posts
Quote:
DX8 is a prettier case, that's about it.

Other radio systems rely on fixed programming menus and options. You can read these as "wing types" or "tail types"... what the radio can do will be defined by these things. If these radios don't have "crow mixing" as listed in their spiel, the system most likely wont be able to do crow mixing.

...the OpenTx approach is to put all the power into the mixers. It doesn't list any "wing types" in its list of abilities because they are all easily set up and managed by the mixer system in a more extendible way. Then add fun things like logic switches, global variables and custom functions... DX8 doesn't really stack up.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:13 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
I was about to say the reverse!

Nice to have options, isn't it? Everyone has different needs/wants.

OP: If you want to get some idea what Taranis is like to set up/program, download Companion9x and check it out. You can also watch a bunch of videos on YouTube that go over things. I'm sure there are similar videos for the DX8. That way you can compare a little on that side of things, since you point that out as a pain point for your existing radio.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
DX8 is a prettier case, that's about it.

Other radio systems rely on fixed programming menus and options. You can read these as "wing types" or "tail types"... what the radio can do will be defined by these things. If these radios don't have "crow mixing" as listed in their spiel, the system most likely wont be able to do crow mixing.

...the OpenTx approach is to put all the power into the mixers. It doesn't list any "wing types" in its list of abilities because they are all easily set up and managed by the mixer system in a more extendible way. Then add fun things like logic switches, global variables and custom functions... DX8 doesn't really stack up.
I spend some time assisting casual weekend fliers become familiar with the features of their new radios.
There is a point where manyvariables just become a hinderance not a help.
For many casual fliers - the free programming setups are just an ongoing mystery.
If you liked the old Futaba 9Z you will likely go for the Taranis
If the JR 10 X was more your preferred type, The DX8 will likely suit you better.
had both - I preferred the JR approach .
my son liked the 9Z
matter of choice - bottom line .
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:32 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,914 Posts
True, too much choice makes things harder to assimilate and might be confusing. It wasn't so long ago that servo reverse,dual rate and expo were a big thing
We are a little spoiled lately when it come to features, there is no time like the present