SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
Help!
Super Mini Topsky wing failure

So, after just finishing my build I flew my super mini topsky. I was having an absolute blast getting my launches higher and higher. Then on one of my launches the wing folded right at the seam! I buult this thing to spec according to the manual, and even added an extra layer of fiberglass on the seam.....

Any ideas as to why it failed? Did i miss something? Now I need to fork out anotger 130 for another kit!
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,783 Posts
pictures pictures pictures
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old May 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
Pics.
Old May 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
On hindsight I should have put carbon on the bottom as well, but it was not mentioned per manual, being my first dlg build I paid particular attention unlike my other planes
Last edited by Jwmflying14; May 19, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
Withdrawl isn't pretty
Hyde park, Vermont
Joined Jun 2005
77 Posts
Now I am a total noob at glassing but it looks like you have no bias in the glass on the seam? I recall reading a couple of build logs and people like to cut the glass for the seem "against the grain" or weave, so for example your seem strips would be filled with "diamonds" rather than squares, rotated 45 degrees. This spreads the load out to more fibers, avoiding the possibility of a tear, which it looks like you may have suffered from. Sorry for your loss.
hoverfiend is offline Find More Posts by hoverfiend
Last edited by hoverfiend; May 19, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
It just sucks as I only got two days out of it cant afford to buy a new one again. Right after I got hooked this has to happen =\
Old May 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
That's totally fixable. Splooge some epoxy into the joint, and slap some carbon on the bottom.

You may have to re-cut the mounting holes, but that's no big deal.

Let it sit for a day, and get your head in the right place. Then fix it and fly it!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old May 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,783 Posts
^^ what he said. Let it sit for a few days and approach the repair with a clear head. Thats a very easy fix.

Did you happen to use CA on the glass that joined the panels?

Also. You should always wipe the skins with methyl hydrate and rough them up a bit to get abetter bond.
The process of bagging uses waxes and it can still be on the wing panels. A very very mild amount of hydrate will lift it off to be sure.
Old May 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
It's more of a fix than that the wing tips are co.pletely crushed, the pod nose implored about an inch and the back of the boom is cracked....
Old May 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,783 Posts
Did you happen to use CA on the glass that joined the panels?
Old May 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
No I used epoxy resin
Old May 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
All right, I'll set the hook, guys.

Since you have flying experience, and you have building experience, It might be worth your while to get in touch with the local DLG guys. It's very likely that one of them might have an old "full sized" 1.5m DLG that they might be willing to get rid of "on the cheap." It's not uncommon for many people that compete to keep an old plane around, just for the purpose of passing to somebody that's really interested in the planes and how the competitions work, but might not be ready to throw money down the tubes. It's an unfortunate aspect of this part of the hobby that, even with some previous flying skills, there's usually a bit of a learning curve.

As RCGeorge has posted in your other thread, Shhhhh! is down in Tucson, and he's a great guy. He might not know ALL of the guys in Tucson and the surrounding areas that DLG, but I'm certain he knows most of them. For the entire time I've been involved with DLG, Dave's been a pillar in the DLG competition scene. In fact, he's the one that "set the hook" for me.

Don't expect a cheap plane to be particularly pretty, or uber-light, but the difference in performance between a mini and a full sized DLG is tremendous. Additionally, the extra size means you can get closer that magic 399ft mark, and still be able to see the plane.

If it's totally out of your budget to consider ANY other plane, it would be worth your while to look at some of the build threads of other scratch-built mini DLGs. The pods can sometimes be built with some balsa, and a little FG, and on the smaller DLG's, sometimes a CF arrow shaft can be used for a boom. Tail feathers can also be built using Balsa with FG laminated to it. If you do it "right", scratch building a new pod and boom for your wing might only cost you $20 or less, depending on what supplies you have on hand.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
speed is always addictive lol
Joined Mar 2009
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Pics.
nice wing, i had a homemade wing failed simular to yours.

since the seem is the most stressed area of the whole wing, so you might need a unique spar at that area, for example you can apply a carbon tube of about 15~20 cm to reinforce the wing. or glue a 6mm or above of balsa bar in between the carbon strip should help.

big cat~
bigcatdairy is offline Find More Posts by bigcatdairy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
It's more of a fix than that the wing tips are co.pletely crushed, the pod nose implored about an inch and the back of the boom is cracked....
Post pictures. I'm sure it is fixable. Anything is fixable.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke