SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:56 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,453 Posts
Will current owners get a free GPS module replacement? That seems only fair.
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:08 AM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
605 Posts
It is true that the real issue with HFP is the GPS. The HFP alone is stellar without it. Pretty much every other controller on the market has a more reliable GPS that is easy to calibrate and set up. They all pretty much use their own wire connection, which are way better than what I use for my hF GPS antenna and external Mag wires. DJI and Xaircraft have single enclosed wire with solid connections. Hope future HF GPS units will be more permanent.

If RF noise is the major issue, why do other GPS systems work close to my center plate, but HF GPS doesn't work even when on a tall post far away from the center plate. Ben, I hope you are still reading this and will take our ongoing poor performance issues into account when you speak with the engineers. We have all been waiting soooo long for a fix. I am guilty of relying on forum feedback, although I think I dealt with Zendesk on GPS until the external mag fix was suggested. I sort of gave up when that didn't work. I personally have flown hundreds of flights without it and captured great images, but now that I have experienced solid GPS with other companies, I see where the benefits would help in so many ways.

Get a solid GPS and Hoverfly WILL dominate the AP market again!!!
tahoelight is offline Find More Posts by tahoelight
Old Dec 16, 2013, 02:29 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
I must be the odd one

I have two large octos with HFP/GPS. I'm using the Mediatek GPS from 3DRobotics and Mag sensor from Sparkfun. Given the gps performs poorly it still does perform ok. My ships are 100% reliable. My older ship has flown for 100 + hours now and I use position hold and RTH every time. It may not RTH in a straight line but it does return. It holds position within a 5 meter radius. I know its bad but its predictable and reliable. I'm now testing out an Arducopter. For less than half the cost of the HFP/GPS setup you can have stellar GPS performance and capabilities. Its simply amazing performance but it lacks the smoothness of a HFP.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old Dec 16, 2013, 03:24 AM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer View Post
I have two large octos with HFP/GPS. I'm using the Mediatek GPS from 3DRobotics and Mag sensor from Sparkfun. Given the gps performs poorly it still does perform ok. My ships are 100% reliable. My older ship has flown for 100 + hours now and I use position hold and RTH every time. It may not RTH in a straight line but it does return. It holds position within a 5 meter radius. I know its bad but its predictable and reliable. I'm now testing out an Arducopter. For less than half the cost of the HFP/GPS setup you can have stellar GPS performance and capabilities. Its simply amazing performance but it lacks the smoothness of a HFP.
Exactly, If we can keep the smooth flight of the Hoverfly Pro and get "Reliable" GPS function for failsafe and reduced stress flying, I will be one happy camper and truly think HF will be back in the game . Unfortunately, I have tried many set-ups with the HF GPS and have had too many "bad" flights with the GPS. One day it will hold "just ok" and be able to return in my general direction, and then I will try it again another day and RTH will fly the wrong way or position hold will fly off. I get better position hold without the GPS so but sometimes a good GPS hold is really nice to have!

The OP saying "I've Had" It wouldn't be the case if the GPS matched the competition. And that is what this is all about. I have never heard anyone complain that the HFP is poor in any way. It is the GPS that is the issue and the lack of acknowledgment by the HF team and the lack of attempts to remedy the issue for those of us that are having issues.

I've spoken with the HF team and know there has been work on a ground station with computer aided navigation, which requires a solid GPS function, so there is plenty we are not hearing about. But, we can only wait so long before having to move onto another system (although like I have said many times, I still fly HFP for all of my pro work). For Gopro flights, I use another system which I am super psyched with.
tahoelight is offline Find More Posts by tahoelight