Old Jun 15, 2013, 09:13 AM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
275 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Club Trainer

Hi All,

I could not find a thread on this plane, so I am starting one.

I bought this as my first plane a couple of months ago. I chose it because it is large enough to not be too twitchy and I liked the wing being held on with rubber bands, so if I crash it will do less damage. I also like the availability of spare parts. And the reviews seemed okay. First up I did some simulator time on my Android phone, then tried a live flight at the local park. It went over the fence, over the first row of houses, over a street and into a tree in someone's front yard. Took me a hour to find it. It had a 8mm stick straight through the wing.

Second flight was at a friends farm. Much more room and no major mishaps.

Flew it today with a new prop and pile drove it into the ground at 45 degree angle. Always wondered why flying over your head was a no no! I lost my horizon so I could not see it was diving.

I have found it to be a stable and easy to fly plane. Great for starting out. I took the gear off it and I hand launch and belly land it. That means I don't have to have a smooth place to take off and land. Removing the front wheel is a bit of a fiddle and you have to watch that the control wire that attaches to the front wheel does not catch on the firewall or motor mount and impede rudder movement after removing the front wheel. It has enough power to gain a safe height easily and to do basic aerobatics - loops, rolls, flying inverted and other stuff I don't know the name of.

I used WebOCalc (free prop and motor selection application - search for it on this site. It is EXCELLENT!!) to find the ideal prop for this plane. It suggests an 11 x 7 APC TE (stock is 10 x 6). I tested it today and it has lots more thrust and top speed. Much snappier aerobatics, but also a bit more of a handful. The motor and ESC did not overheat, but that would be worth watching closely. An excellent upgrade I think. {Note added later: 11x7 is a bit long as it trims the grass and made the motor seize/stop for some reason. GWS 10x6 is working well}

I am running Nanotech 2200 batteries. I had to cut out the top of the battery compartment and some foam to the rear to fit them in.

After my massive crash today I found a heavy balancing weight (25g) glued into the fuselage just behind the firewall where the motor mount screws on.
Sportssedanman is offline Find More Posts by Sportssedanman
Last edited by Sportssedanman; Jul 08, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:15 AM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
275 Posts
Crashes and repairs

The photos below show the stick through the wing and the aftermath of the second crash and finally the fuselage pieces before I started repairs.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:15 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,017 Posts
Well Sportssedanman,
I just bought one of these too and am a little apprehensive about the quality etc... but I want to put it together for a mate as a step up from a champ (hobbyzone micro) -

I bought:
- 2 batteries 1600mah zippy's
- a HK Tx Rx combo
- acucel 6 charger
- and of course the HK club trainer

all from the Aus warehouse w/o postage $188.00AUD ($172.00USD) at today's rate.

That makes it $200AUD for a complete 1.2mt trainer flight package delivered to my door (sorta cause the rotters always leave a card and make me go fetch it)

If it is OK with you, I might add a bit of my build info in this thread and exchange ideas?

I only chose this over the I-can-fly because it looked a little more robust and had a servo for each aileron.

I hope to have it in hand sometime next week so will report back ...

Sorry to see your crash results ... a little balsa re-enforcement and astute use of some epoxy should see you back in the air --- did you damage any of the electrics, motor etc...?
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Modifications...

Hello flying friends!
I just had to modify my Hobbyking Club Trainer to a AirForce bird.
I'm not finished yet, but it will soon take to the air here in northern Norway.
Best regards!
deltaX is offline Find More Posts by deltaX
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:17 PM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Well Sportssedanman,
Sorry to see your crash results ... a little balsa re-enforcement and astute use of some epoxy should see you back in the air --- did you damage any of the electrics, motor etc...?
I broke the motor shaft and stripped some teeth in the rudder servo, other than than all electronics are fine. I am well on the way to having it flying again. I will post rebuild as it happens. Waiting on parts from HK now.

It is a really stable, easy to fly plane. I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaX View Post
Hello flying friends!
I just had to modify my Hobbyking Club Trainer to a AirForce bird.
I'm not finished yet, but it will soon take to the air here in northern Norway.
Best regards!
looking good ... seems like a nice paint job there - the grey.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportssedanman View Post
I broke the motor shaft and stripped some teeth in the rudder servo, other than than all electronics are fine. I am well on the way to having it flying again. I will post rebuild as it happens. Waiting on parts from HK now.

It is a really stable, easy to fly plane. I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Looking forward to the rebuild ... post lots of pics ... will post pics of my journey with this too.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:31 PM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
275 Posts
I put in a balsa brace and had a go at plastic welding the motor mount. It is a bit ridiculous repairing an item that costs less than $2, however HK are currently out of stock. If you are thinking it looks like a rough job,....that's because it is!

I plan to put the ESC, receiver and flight stabilizer on top of the balsa piece and the battery will velcro under it. I will have quite a bit of front/rear movement available for the battery so I can test out different CoG positions. I will have to make sure the section above the balsa brace, where the ESC will be, has good airflow - could require a hole or two somewhere. Maybe in the back window. Alternatively I could put the ESC further forward, just behind the firewall.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportssedanman View Post
I put in a balsa brace and had a go at plastic welding the motor mount. It is a bit ridiculous repairing an item that costs less than $2, however HK are currently out of stock. If you are thinking it looks like a rough job,....that's because it is!

I plan to put the ESC, receiver and flight stabilizer on top of the balsa piece and the battery will velcro under it. I will have quite a bit of front/rear movement available for the battery so I can test out different CoG positions. I will have to make sure the section above the balsa brace, where the ESC will be, has good airflow - could require a hole or two somewhere. Maybe in the back window. Alternatively I could put the ESC further forward, just behind the firewall.
The other thing you could do with the ESC is put it on the outside and zip tie it to the wall of the fuse /or Velcro - just 2 holes for the wires at each end. It doesn't look 100% but it works well. I have a Phoenix Scanner which is an electric conversion. I have a 600 Heli motor up front with a 5000mAh 4S and an 80Amp ESC that ran hot inside so I just put it outside in the airflow - heat problem solved!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:41 AM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
The other thing you could do with the ESC is put it on the outside and zip tie it to the wall of the fuse /or Velcro - just 2 holes for the wires at each end. It doesn't look 100% but it works well. I have a Phoenix Scanner which is an electric conversion. I have a 600 Heli motor up front with a 5000mAh 4S and an 80Amp ESC that ran hot inside so I just put it outside in the airflow - heat problem solved!
I could not do that due to the aesthetics! I will do all I can to put it inside first. I don't anticipate any problem - there is a fair bit of room in there.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:58 PM
Just sittin on my butt
USA, UT, Draper
Joined Mar 2004
85 Posts
Hey Sports,

Thanks for starting the thread.
O just got mine a few days ago Sorry to see and hear about your Club.
Did you get the number of the bus that not only ran it over but backed up to see what it hit?

I didn't know HK stocked spare parts. I did a look and sure enough. But damn are they expensive. Almost cheaper to buy a new plane and have the spares handy!

I didn't even think about adding the extra CF support to the wing. Doing that today, maiden tomorrow.
Pictures of my battery compartment are here:

I got the navigation light system for it also. Any idea what the hatch behind the battery hatch is for? It looks like it should open but don't want to pry on it?

I mounted the ESC with double sided sticky to the left side of the fuse in front of the battery. But I like your idea about mounting it on a piece of balsa or ply.
Where did your CG wind up being?
I am concerned about the motor shaft though. Kinda like the GWS long shafts.. gets shafted if ya auger in. Ideas there? Be pretty tough to replace the shat I think. Ideas on a prop/shaft saver? I'm going to work on that. Really don't want to give up the nose cone though.

Hope this thread stays alive. It looks like this could be popular bird.

Thanks for pics and info.

Malt
malt_master is offline Find More Posts by malt_master
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:06 AM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malt_master View Post
Hey Sports,

Thanks for starting the thread.
O just got mine a few days ago Sorry to see and hear about your Club.
Did you get the number of the bus that not only ran it over but backed up to see what it hit?

I didn't know HK stocked spare parts. I did a look and sure enough. But damn are they expensive. Almost cheaper to buy a new plane and have the spares handy!

I didn't even think about adding the extra CF support to the wing. Doing that today, maiden tomorrow.
Pictures of my battery compartment are here:

I got the navigation light system for it also. Any idea what the hatch behind the battery hatch is for? It looks like it should open but don't want to pry on it?

I mounted the ESC with double sided sticky to the left side of the fuse in front of the battery. But I like your idea about mounting it on a piece of balsa or ply.
Where did your CG wind up being?
I am concerned about the motor shaft though. Kinda like the GWS long shafts.. gets shafted if ya auger in. Ideas there? Be pretty tough to replace the shat I think. Ideas on a prop/shaft saver? I'm going to work on that. Really don't want to give up the nose cone though.

Malt
I worked out the cost of a fuselage plus shipping is just over $50, so I decided to repair. It is taking a lot of time though. However, I am learning a lot in the process.

The only reason I put the CF reinforcing there is because when I "augered in", the momentum of the wings caused the wing join to split mostly from the back. I am not sure it is too necessary.

The "hatch" behind the battery hatch is a glued in solid. Perhaps it gave two options for positioning of the battery hatch. Not sure. No function though.

Not sure of my CoG location.

My motor shaft snapped just in front of the nut closest to the motor. It should leave enough length for a prop saver I have ordered. I think a prop saver is the answer. The crash also pushed the motor shaft backwards inside the motor. It is a tight fit, but I pushed it forward again. I have ordered a replacement 4mm shaft from another motor, but I don't think I will need it. I don't think it would be too hard to replace - just needs a bit of persuasion.

I used WeboCalc to work out the ideal prop size for this plane. It gave 11 x 7 APC TE and the plane has heaps more performance with this prop. If the pilot is a beginner, they should get comfortable with the plane first before putting this prop on though. Also, watch the ESC and motor temps. I have not checked the current draw with this prop.

The WeboCalc output is below.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,017 Posts
New Arrival!

Have had a good look at this and not really happy with it - but think I can make it work...
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:02 PM
Just sittin on my butt
USA, UT, Draper
Joined Mar 2004
85 Posts
Looks like mine did.

Not sure what you mean inn your post.

It's packed great, all parts are there. The book sucks! But all in all I am happy with it.
The things I didn't like:
1.0 The ESC was just flopping - I moved it rearward and velco'ed it in.
2.0 Of course the battery hatch! I fixed that - See pics above.
3.0 The screws for the rudder and elevator, though a great connection are a nightmare to get installed.
4.0 The seemingly extra long motor shaft. Fixable.
5.0 No "easy" connectors on push rods. Fixed by adding my own.

On the plus side:
1.0 Very Tough high density foam.
2.0 All parts fit.
3.0 Wing assembly is a snap.
4.0 Motor and ESC with the stock prop draw about 14.3 Amps at WOT.
5.0 Plenty of spare space for electronics locations.
6.0 Cost of plane - very reasonable.
7.0 Great looks.
8.0 Cowling is super tough, not the cheap this stuff!
9.0 I almost snuck it by "her"
10.0 Motor leads a bit short. Fixed by making extensions.
11.0 Motor mounting screws could be a bit longer and bigger. Will go to Nut-Bolt Supply an get better screws.

Mods:
1.0 Navigation lights.
2.0 Prop saver.
3.0 EZ push rod connectors.
4.0 "BATTERY HATCH"
5.0 Velcro strap over the battery hatch.
6.0 Enlarged battery hatch for a 2200 3 cell.

I didn't use the HK glue. The Asian glues seem to be lower quality.
So overall, I think its a good deal.
I hope to maiden it today.

Post on your build and how she flies.

Malt
malt_master is offline Find More Posts by malt_master