SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:33 AM
prefer lift over drag anyday
Joined Jun 2005
168 Posts
Cool
Catching a thermal with a paper plane!

Caught on video! I was so pleased with this flight and delighted my friend got it in 1080p.
Mt Hough Paper Plane Flight (0 min 43 sec)
flyzguy is offline Find More Posts by flyzguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:27 AM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
Joined Apr 2009
532 Posts
That was an amazing flight!

Ever since preschool I've been playing with paper planes, still havent caught a thermal like that

Thanks for sharing the video.

Is that Takyo Toda's SkyKing btw?
draganbt is offline Find More Posts by draganbt
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:40 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Brilliant-now do it again
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,639 Posts
Given where you are flying I'd suggest that it was some slope lift rather than a thermal.

Still a great flight for a paper free flighter. Did you manage to get any more flights that rode the lift?
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
578 Posts
Nice of it to come right back like that.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:52 AM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
Awesome!

Great Job... that co@ky Bast@#$
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
Splitting airs
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
793 Posts
Nice! That happened to me once (in the city), except it just gained 10 feet and ended up on someone's roof.

How do you make that model? Name? I gotta try it.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Falcon Mk.VI
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
168 Posts
Its definitely a sky king derivative. I didn't have tape so I used a design with locking folds. A Nakamura lock also works, among others. The type of plane is not too important IMO, getting the basics right for outdoor flying are: lots of pitch stability, fast trim, lots of luck

The wind was basically 0, with prevailing winds from behind the slope (reason I did not fly my hang glider) and thermal flow UP the slope in cycles.

I have some slope soaring paper airplane video I might upload later if I can find it...
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:44 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,022 Posts
With all due respects you should attribute this flight to the presence of slope lift rather than any thermal activity. A paper or plastic bag will rise in slope lift.
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:12 AM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
616 Posts
Of all of the hundreds, if not thousands of paper aeroplanes I made as a boy, only twice did I manage to fling them into thermals from a flat field launch and only one of those went OOS.

I was trimming it for a school paper aeroplane competion when I can't have been much more than nine. It was with a strange mixture of awed amazement and disappointment that I watched my prize flyer disappearing up, up and away. Thankfully it was quickly replaced, I managed to win the competition and spend a day (with a few runners up) at RAF Scampton talking to the Red Arrows pilots before watching them practice from the edge on the runway. A good day out!
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:59 AM
Joined Jun 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan View Post
With all due respects you should attribute this flight to the presence of slope lift rather than any thermal activity. A paper or plastic bag will rise in slope lift.
Nope. Trust me. As an RC slope flyer and hang glider pilot as well as an experienced thermal RC sailplane pilot, I can tell you that this was a thermal flight. For slope lift to work you need prevailing wind coming up the slope. In this case, the prevailing wind was blowing down the slope, which is why I was flying paper airplanes instead of my hang glider.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:03 AM
Joined Jun 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1978 View Post
Of all of the hundreds, if not thousands of paper aeroplanes I made as a boy, only twice did I manage to fling them into thermals from a flat field launch and only one of those went OOS.
That's awesome. Ive never had a flatland thermal flight go OOS with a paper plane. Knew a guy who claimed to have lost a parachute army guy to a monster thermal. It's always magical, especially as a kid, when the rule "what goes up must come down" is apparently put on hold
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:47 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzguy View Post
....The wind was basically 0, with prevailing winds from behind the slope (reason I did not fly my hang glider) and thermal flow UP the slope in cycles....
Like John I was thinking that it was a bit of slope lift too. But given this last bit it sure sounds like it was a thermal thing....

As for losing a paper glider and other things? Well there's thermals and then there are THERMALS ! ! ! ! I've lost two models over the years that were in DT mode that went OOS out overhead and downwind simply because the thermals were so strong that the sink rate during DT mode wasn't strong enough to even make much of a difference. So hearing that someone lost a plastic soldier guy on a home made parachute isn't out of the question at all. But it still makes the ol' lower jaw sag to see it happen....

Mind you a good flying paper model should be able to hook a normal thermal and fly away. The trick is getting them to launch high enough to get out of the ground clutter turbulence and up into the capture zone. That would typically suggest that it needs to get up around 12 to 15 feet where it can get sucked up. Once it's on it's way the hard work is done and you can sit back and watch.... assuming it doesn't get spit out the side...
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,710 Posts
Sometimes while on launch waiting for conditions to improve I'll make gliders from paper or foam, get 'em trimmed right, then using masking tape I attach them to the side wires of my HG.
Later on when I hook a thermal I'll release one and fly around with it. Every once in a while they'll out climb me.
One time I released about a dozen Sling Wings all at once in a thermal from my HG. Fun!
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:52 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
When I was a kid, I used to get to the observation tower on the highest building in town (11 storeys) with a pad of typewriter paper under my jacket and spend most of an afternoon folding and flying. The streets and other building roofs would fairly well guarantee oos flights for most of them...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle