SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by mtflyr
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,088 Posts
Discussion
Start of Micro 12" WS SSW D.III

Getting ready to build a 12" WS SSW D.III. I made the cowling from layers of 3mm food tray foam. I'll coat with epoxy and use my friend Jin's new dentist vac form machine to make the styrene cowling and perhaps other parts. I'm trying to make some of the engine access panels from thin brass sheets this will also have ailerons.
I made a prop extension from a push rod tube to fit the Spitfire 4 blade prop that's fairly scale to the 12" WS.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I made the cowling from layers of 3mm food tray foam.
Sure looks easier than my laid up fibercloth method! Can you post a link to Jin's vac former, please? May be worth an investment.

Gene K

P.S. I'll have the correct five color lozenge wings ready for printing tomorrow. Below is the draft top wing with the correct five color lozenge, tape, correct lozenge direction on ailerons, etc. Heavily modified Rise of Flight Fokker D.VII skin.
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 03, 2013, 07:08 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,088 Posts
Okay Gene, Jins on vacation when he gets back I'll send you the info.

Painted the SSW prop and made a spinner. Speedy01 is making the wing and tail tissue

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jul 03, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2013, 09:17 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,088 Posts
Speedy01, Gene's been working on the lozenge wings and tail areas for tissue to cover for this bird. So I cut out the 2mm Depron parts. I wanted the top & bottom wing to be stiff and not flex up as I'll be adding ailerons. I added flat CF through the top wings center so it won't do any flexing I'll do the same to the bottom wing.

It's very close to the same size as my Micro 12" WS Camel. I will go with the dark
ply and white arrow scheme

It's starting to take shape under watchfull eyes

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jul 05, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2013, 06:51 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,352 Posts
Quote:
It's starting to take shape ....
Very, very nice, Pete.

Are you going to link the top and bottom wing ailerons? If so, what's your plan?

Make sure to check the color of the cowl, panels, and cabane struts for your chosen scheme. Although some of these items were sometimes painted white, many were bare metal (appearing white) in photos.

Gene K
Old Jul 05, 2013, 10:16 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,088 Posts
Roger on the panels Gene.... Also I will try to link them with a thin CF rod not sure what I'll do.

Thanks,

Pete
Old Jul 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,352 Posts
Quote:
I will try to link [the ailerons] with a thin CF rod not sure what I'll do.
Consider a servo inside the fuselage for the lower wing's ailerons, and connect to the upper with UMX Beast or 4-Site aileron hardware - very simple and thin. That great hobby shop up there should have some ... or Ebay, not to mention RCGroups classifieds. Shouldn't be too hard to find some "hard landing" airframes turned into spare parts.

Gene K
Old Jul 05, 2013, 07:25 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,352 Posts
Final Wing Patterns printed on tissue.

Gene K
Old Jul 05, 2013, 07:53 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,088 Posts
Looks great Gene only thing is with the ailerons on this small bird the weight really went up not sure she'll fly....

Here's the ailerons they work great but also detract from the look and scale I may just not use them. I'll first try and fly it before I change to just rudder and elevator.

Micro SSW D III 12 008 (0 min 40 sec)

Pete
Old Jul 05, 2013, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by ruzam
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,514 Posts
Those aileron links look heavy (for what they need to do). Do you really need ailerons on both sets of wings? Is it enough to do ailerons on only one wing and skip the extra weight/complexity? It's not like you need to do 3D snap roll manoeuvres.

From my arm chair (where everything looks simple and easy ), I would do ailerons on the bottom wing only. Use torque rods in the wings just like all the Horizon Hobby UM planes. See how they do it in the UM Mustang http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d#post16013609 or the UM Pole Cat http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post18957882

Then you'd have some flexibility in where to position the servo, so it could be mounted up front with under the brick to keeping the weight forward where it's needed most. Not to mention shorter servo wires (more weight) and clean air flow over the top wing.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jul 05, 2013, 10:48 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,088 Posts
Yes, I hear you. The SSW had ailerons in both top & bottom wings. I may just redo both wings as my 3 other WWI builds of this 12" WS size fly fine with rudder & elevator. The SSW had straight wings too so I thought I'd try ailerons in the top wing only until my buddy Speedy01 caught me wimping out. Since I already had the servo in the top wing I was in trouble. I know this bird looks like crap at this point I just want to see if I can fly it.

This is about my 30th or so micro build over the years so I guess I'm getting lazy.

Pete
Old Jul 05, 2013, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by ruzam
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,514 Posts
Your micro builds are spectacular, even in the rough stages.

I used to build rubber planes this scale (in balsa) when I was a kid. They were pretty awesome too, but none of them ever flew (heavy enough to be desk ornaments). I wish I could build micro scale planes like you do.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jul 06, 2013, 06:25 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,352 Posts
Quote:
... the weight really went up not sure she'll fly....
The synched ailerons look GREAT, and it WILL fly! (after all, you are Pete, The Micro Meister). But I agree that it will also fly well (better) with just rudder and elevator. But then, you like FAST.

If you redo the wings, you'll be saving weight by using thinner Depron as you mentioned, plus by reducing the overkill factor in the CF planks that you used.

The tissue weight - well, it's not that much. You may want to weigh it before applying it (it's in the mail).

After next week I can get back to your 14.5 in version (I promise). That one will a spectacular flyer - as your others in that size have been. I'll send a Bravo SX motor after we determine how long we want the leads. Then the SSW will outclimb your other WWI micros - just as they did "back then".

Again - great job!!! (working overtime, aren't you?)

Gene K
Old Jul 08, 2013, 11:07 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,088 Posts
Well got my excellent Speedy01, Gene sized up ROF lozenge tissue parts for covering this bird today thank you Gene great work as usual.

I got every thing made up and temporarily together for test flying then while testing the glide for the CG I broke the J3 prop shaft I didn't get to test fly it as it got dark before I could put a new prop shaft it.

In the test glides she actually glides pretty good so maybe she'll fly better than I think. I still need to make the wheels for the test flight though but it's starting to look the part if she fly's well I'll do the tissue covering,fake motor, guns and other details.

Pete
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by gklein
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
831 Posts
Beautiful work! What is your AUW at the moment?
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein