Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
699 Posts
Roger Ramjet? Nein! Hermann Staustrahltriebwerke

The German language is so poetic.

I've had my first maiden, prang and refits, so Murphy's law no longer counts.
Time for some nice new livery.

I figured I could do some cool stuff with Major Decals' Regia Aeronautica layout. The Italian allied colours would blend nicely on top and the fascist roundels would reinforce black stripes on the bottom, allowing for good orientation. Drove to every LHS in every corner of town to get the decal sheet and was left with something else. Keep in mind I was cranking Ramstien in the STI.

I'm happy with the bottom. If you can't see that that's not the top you've got to be blind.
The top is OK, nice solid red line down the wing. The skull and crossbones are a bit "blocky", but I think I can make it work with some custom nose art. Some fierce nose art.

Cheers!
Rocket
RocketRobin is online now Find More Posts by RocketRobin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:10 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
699 Posts
And She's Done

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,708 Posts
You will like how it flys.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Today, 07:39 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
699 Posts
The MiniC flies great! It does all the old 1970s maneuvers to perfection.
200 ft loops that track perfectly round and slow motion axial rolls are easy peasy.
I got about 20 flights in today. Conditions went from no wind to moderately windy/gusty conditions. With the Guardian, wind is a non-issue and the MiniC tracks like a rocket sled.
In spite of the thick airfoil, the MiniC handles best when is it moving. It can fly slowly and hang around, but it will wallow in the turns. A nice cruise is around 2/3 throttle (about 18A). I set my timer for 7 minutes, allowing for a solid cruise and several blips to full throttle for verticals. After landing the pack is at 11.1/11.3V, which leaves at least 3 minutes of low speed cruise for back-up, before LVC.

Cheers!
Rocket
Old Today, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by LedZepplin
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
171 Posts
Nice work Rocket! Can you compare performance with 2 and 3-blade props? Flaperons make for great slow flying, just dips the nose a little.

Zep
LedZepplin is offline Find More Posts by LedZepplin
Old Today, 09:56 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
699 Posts
2 blade props are inherently more efficient than 3 blade props, as they create less helical airflow. However, as speed increases the helical angle decreases, so the comparable efficiency losses with more blades decreases somewhat.

With a 10 x 8E APC the MiniC has exceptional acceleration at low speed and extended high speed performance. However, APCs are heavy props and finding one that is dynamically balanced is like finding a needle in a stack of needles. After flying with the APCs I found that the primary firewall failed (yet again). The MiniCs delicate airframe is not designed to withstand the heavy vibrations that the full sized Contender can deal with.

The 3 blade Master Airscrew 9 x 7 is silky smooth. It lacks punch at low airspeeds, but once the ship is moving it locks in and won't let go. It does sacrifice flat out speed, but gives it all back in the vertical climb. This is not a prop for brutal 3D maneuvers, but more for graceful aerobatics.
The MiniC is a trike and as such has a fairly long take-off run. You can't just boot it off the ground like a tail dragger. With the 3 blade prop you need to add a lot of right rudder to counter act the adverse yaw (caused by the helical airflow) and stay off the elevator until you have rotation speed.

I have my MiniC programmed for flaperons. The adverse yaw isn't nearly as bad as I had expected and it reduces the landing roll considerably.

Cheers!
Rocket