SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:27 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
300 Posts
Discussion
First boat...too many choices. Quanum? Pursuit?

Hello; my buddy is looking for his first boat, and I may possibly be drawn into a purchase as well.

Initially looking the Quanum Relentless 740mm seems like a good intro boat.

looking at this forum, people seem to like the Pursuit 820mm...was wondering if it made sense to jump into the Pursuit kit (with engine).

although budget is a priority, i want to make a good recommendation in the aspect of not having too much of a performance bottleneck. i wouldn't want either of us to get bored quickly and then end up buying another boat.

the use for the boat would be for primarily man made neighborhood and park lakes.

thanks!

Recommended list 2/17/2015:

Pursuit http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
OuterLimits http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Quanum Relentless http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Quanum Aquholic http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Surge Crusher http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...30mm_ARR_.html
Proboat Shockwave 26 http://www.amazon.com/ProBoat-Shockw...t+shockwave+26
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Last edited by urbansniper; Feb 17, 2015 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:39 PM
Kid at heart..
Joined Apr 2014
409 Posts
Hi Urbansniper, the Relentless is a fun boat. I have the Joysway version of it and its a fun boat to run. I also noticed you are in Houston as well. Which location are you planning to run your boat? The Pursuit may require larger space to run in than some of the man made or neighborhood lakes in the area. Also, if you are close to Cypress, and if you are interested, we can meet up and you can run my boats to see which suits you better and get a feeling of which one you prefer before making your decision....
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
300 Posts
hangtheman,

hello; thanks a bunch for the insight and offer to check out your gear.

I did not think about venue size vs boat size!

I will let my friend know, and see if he would like to check out the boat in person.

we are in the southwest side of town, there is a fairly large park lake here, we were thinking about running our boats in. Sugar Land Memorial park.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
300 Posts
FYI; i have a side quest of my own...which is to FPV my possible boat purchase...heh
Old Feb 16, 2015, 02:52 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,638 Posts
Isnt the Relentless a Cat?

If you are referring to that it has a weenie size motor it seems...............

All comes down to what you like and the type of water you will run in.

Pursuits are great
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Feb 16, 2015, 03:09 PM
Kid at heart..
Joined Apr 2014
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
FYI; i have a side quest of my own...which is to FPV my possible boat purchase...heh
The only problem with FPV on a boat is that the run tmes are too short. You usually have around 5 minutes of run time on full throttle for a boat. Managing the throttle will get you longer run time and I don't expect you will be full throttle on a FPV setup, but the run times would still be short nevertheless. Also, the other risk of FPV on a boat is that you will run out of battery in the middle of the lake. But it can and has been done with success..
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:35 PM
Joined Apr 2010
933 Posts
Proboat and Aquacraft make proven 30" models, these are pretty much the only ones you'll see racing in p-limited offshore.

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:45 PM
Joined Nov 2014
524 Posts
Proboat is a great choice I had a shockwave 26 bl and I loved it but soon out grew it and got a Spartan which has been fantastic to me. People trash talk traxxas and I'm not going to tell you it's the fastest or best boat in the world. But it has been an absolute blast owning it, I have never left the lake without a smile on my face and I run it almost everyday now since June. The only thing I recommend is to always have extra props and an extra flex shaft assembly on hand so you never have any down time. My flex shaft broke after about 6 months of nearly daily use in salt water. But, the other brands have great offerings as well, I have been eyeing the impulse 31 for a while now but can't justify having two boats of near the same performance for another 400$ LOL
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Last edited by ApexpretadorGT; Feb 17, 2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:12 PM
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Isnt the Relentless a Cat?

If you are referring to that it has a weenie size motor it seems...............

All comes down to what you like and the type of water you will run in.

Pursuits are great
The 2815 motor specs is a misprint.Its a 38mm outrunner used in all of those boats (Joysway Bullet/Quanam Aquaholic/Relentless), the closest size upgrade motor I've found for my Aquaholic is the 37mm Venom outrunner that's used in the King of Shaves/Miss Excite.

If its all someone can afford then its honestly a decent starter boat, especially compared to other boats in that price range like the Barbwire, Mini Mono and other mini's.But I do wish I saved up a few more weeks to buy the Outerlimits instead of the Quanam.Besides from having a fiber glass hull I'm really digging the paint scheme on the Outerlimits.
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:49 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT View Post
got a Spartan which has been fantastic to me. People trash talk traxxas and I'm going to tell you it's the fastest or best boat in the world. But it has been an absolute blast owning it
Did you mean it's not the fastest or best?
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:06 AM
Joined Nov 2014
23 Posts
Decisions, decisions?

I started out last October with a ProBoat Shockwave. I initially thought it was awesome till I got my hands on a Joysway Surge Crusher. The Surge Crusher is an awesome beginner boat and it will fly. I picked up a couple of other boats in the last few months, just because they were on sale, I guess a bunch of distributors got stuck with them and I found them at a good price. My ProBoat Miss Geico was an incredible deal, though listed as used, it had never been fully assembled or put in the water. The wife don't know but I spent as much as I gave for the boat in upgrades and I'm itching to get in in the water. Right now it is a balmy 17 degrees with about 5 inches of snow and sleet on the ground, so no fun for a least a week or so. Whatever choice you make, I'm sure you will be happy at least for a little while. Done the planes and cars back in the day but hands down have had more fun with the boats than anything else.
acpd22 is offline Find More Posts by acpd22
Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:53 AM
Joined May 2012
519 Posts
Pursuit, great hull can handle higher speeds when you decide to hop it up. In my books no question.
Personally would stay away from the Spartan, I would never own a plastic boat of that size and speed. Plus Traxxas left a bad taste in my mouth when they first released it, blamed everybody but themselves for the initial release problems. If they had actually stepped up and admitted the mistakes and made good on it I would respect the company. Wouldn't even buy one of their cars now as I have 0 faith in the company.
Sibe is online now Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:19 AM
Joined Apr 2010
933 Posts
If you get a boat in the 30" range look for fiberglass hull vs. ABS-- they are stronger, flex less, and are MUCH easier to repair...

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:19 AM
Joined Nov 2014
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Did you mean it's not the fastest or best?
Oops I actually did mean to put not lol. I'm not sure how the other boats stack up in straight line performance but for an out of the box boat it has been a blast owning it. It does a little of everything, handles good chop, fast, turns well, haven't had any issues with it at all. Will it be faster than some custom build? Probably not, will it be faster than 90% of boats? Probably
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:54 AM
Joined Nov 2012
300 Posts
thanks for the replies all, it's fun browsing all these different types of boats!

I am searching online for all the recommendation and listing them in my initial post for reference.

If you have a link for a boat not listed in my initial post, please post it...as I may not know what you are referring to.

thanks!