HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which livery do you like most?
Travel Service (blue) 9 18.37%
Travel Service (white) 5 10.20%
Czech Airlines (new c/s) 16 32.65%
Holidays Czech Airlines 12 24.49%
Czech Airlines (old c/s) 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:49 AM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
Build Log
Airbus A320 - aerosquare

Good day,
finally I decided to build my forst plane. I always wanted an airliner, I would prefer Boeing, but no plans found and E-Flite is expensive, Hobbyking A380 is risky to ship to Europe and Windrider is far from Czech Republic too
So my choice is this A320 http://www.aerosquare.com/Airbus-A32...ectriques.html
If it is possible I will ask in this thread for help as build continue
First I want to ask, how difficult could be to build it? If depron is good material to cut etc.. I am beginner and I only build F1A and HLGs. So I want to ask, if it is possible to build it without much experience
I will also post the progress of the build. Now if I can I will start the poll of the colors that I want to use, so if you can pick one as help to decide

Thank you for some advices and wish me luck
awacsCZE is offline Find More Posts by awacsCZE
Last edited by awacsCZE; Jun 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:55 PM
3 holes are better than twoo!
United Kingdom, England, Potters Bar
Joined Dec 2008
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awacsCZE View Post
Good day,
finally I decided to build my forst plane. I always wanted an airliner, I would prefer Boeing, but no plans found and E-Flite is expensive, Hobbyking A380 is risky to ship to Europe and Windrider is far from Czech Republic too
So my choice is this A320 http://www.aerosquare.com/Airbus-A32...ectriques.html
If it is possible I will ask in this thread for help as build continue
First I want to ask, how difficult could be to build it? If depron is good material to cut etc.. I am beginner and I only build F1A and HLGs. So I want to ask, if it is possible to build it without much experience
I will also post the progress of the build. Now if I can I will start the poll of the colors that I want to use, so if you can pick one as help to decide

Thank you for some advices and wish me luck
Don't care about the color....just build it ,make sure it will fly nice, and after those things done....you can ask for a nice livery
727Dream is offline Find More Posts by 727Dream
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 727Dream View Post
Don't care about the color....just build it ,make sure it will fly nice, and after those things done....you can ask for a nice livery
Ok, you are right. I meant it like long term poll, but you are right, that I have to build it
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:51 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Depron is excellent. If you can build with wood you'll love depron.

I can read some French, I dident see the word "Mousse" anywhere (lol), so I guess the plans are for balsa?
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:09 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,379 Posts
I'm a fan of orange, so Holidays wins for me.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:21 AM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter View Post
Depron is excellent. If you can build with wood you'll love depron.

I can read some French, I dident see the word "Mousse" anywhere (lol), so I guess the plans are for balsa?
I have little experience with french too, but I thought that word dépron is depron It is written over fuselage.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
Hello again, I have question before built and buying material.
Do you think, that this plane with 2 EDF can handle all balsa built? Because I have no one, who has CNC cutter for depron and I donīt want to destroy the build because of my not good cut to depron. I was thinking to make all formers from balsa 3mm. Do you think it can handle it?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:42 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,379 Posts
if it's built for 70mm or bigger, then yes, all balsa will be ok. consider that two 70mm's can put out as much as 11 lbs of thrust on 12S (2 X 6S). if you buy two of the Mach alloy fans, you will see 13 lbs of installed thrust and because they are alloy, they'll look better in those pods too. they'll look very close to a real airliner fan. the tradeoff is that a Mach fan costs about 250 bucks each, so might be out of your budget. an airliner will fly with .5-.6:1 thrust to weight, so two WM400 MKII's should power an airliner weighing as much as 18 lbs. I doubt your plane will be anywhere close to this, even being built entirely out of balsa, ply, etc. let's say your empty airframe weighs 9 or 10 lbs, you are still going to be less than 15 lbs flying weight, so any excess Thrust to weight is a complete bonus. I would bet you are going to be less than 12 lbs flying weight, so you may even get away with two fans on 5S.

by the way, I liked the plans so much, I downloaded them myself. I may build this one myself, very soon.

Rich
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
by the way, I liked the plans so much, I downloaded them myself. I may build this one myself, very soon.
Good to hear that. At least one of us will finish A320

I was thinking about some of these engines:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11165
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6632 (This was recomended by man, who builded same A320 exactly same as on the plan)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11166

I assume,when I put two engines, they will have two times bigger thrust, is that right?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,379 Posts
be careful with HK stuff. you get what you pay for. in an airliner application, you should be ok, but nothing high powered. they also do not come balanced, even if it says they do. you need to balance the motor and/or the fan before you use them. this isn't as easy as it sounds if you've never done it before.

if I were you, I would not use 64mm fans. the max you are looking at is about 4-6 lbs thrust for both fans combined...............and yes, when using two fans, you double the output, so 2 X 2 = 4 lbs thrust on 64mm fans. if I were going to buy from HK, I would buy these................

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=17220

they are more expensive, but because they are RC Lander fans, they are good quality and are balanced. again, you get what you pay for. I can't remember seeing the weight of the plane, but what is the flying weight of the model? on 5S packs, these fans will put out about 8-8.5 lbs of thrust combined, so not too shabby at all. the KV of the motors is good enough to bump up to 5S with no problems at all. use 80 Amp ESC's if you are going to go with 5S packs.

edit: I went to the website and looked at the weight. it says 4 lbs, so I'de add another lb or so for an all balsa build. this is well within the capability of twin 64mm fans on 4S packs. so the choice is yours. if you are going with 4S, use 60 Amp ESC's. you'll be pulling about 40 Amps give or take, so plenty of overkill with 60 Amp ESC's. 45's may do it too, but not a lot of head room there. if you decide to go with 3S, it still may work, but thrust will be lacking. if you are going 3S or 4S, use a 4000Kv (or closest you can get) motor. this will give you a bit less thrust on 3S, but will still be safe for 4S, should you decide to go that route. if you get a bigger kv and you aren't happy with the flight characteristics, you won't be able to go to 4S without pooching the motors, eventually.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
I donīt know, but the aerosquare website says, that final weight should be between 1600 and 1900 grams and they are recommending EDF from Vasamodel Vasafan65G. Maybe it will be better to keep in plan and donīt do experiments on the first time
Also was told to me, tah I should do tail formers from balsa, because depron is fragile for tail formers, so maybe I will do that.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:25 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,379 Posts
you'll be fine doing an all balsa build. it'll come out around 5 lbs or less which is more than enough for 64mm fans of any kind on 4S packs. the fans from HK will be fine for the job you are asking them to do. as I said, if you are going the 4S route, choose a motor around 4000Kv. if you are going 3S and don't intend to go 4S, then you can go higher. about 4800Kv will be good for 3S only, but will not support 4S packs. 4000Kv will be a bit lame on 3S, but will be too much for 4S on an airliner, so you'll be able to cruise around at half throttle a lot and have longer flights.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
So when I will be building all balsa, I need 4S and bigger than 64mm fans. If i will be building balsa tail, I can use 64mm and 3S, but it will be on the edge. And if I will build like plan says I can use 64mm and 3S?
Also I assume, that I will have tu connect two batteries for longer flight, right?
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:29 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,379 Posts
yes, two batteries wired in parallel will double your flight time, since in essence, you are doubling the size of your gas tank.

if it were me, I would design for 64mm on 4S right from the get go. the fans have so much more performance on 4S over 3S, that it's staggering just how much. this is the way I'de go...............two 64mm fans, two 4000Kv motors, two 60 Amp ESC's, 4S packs with at least 4000mAh capacity, or two wired in parallel for estra flight time. 30C packs should be enough, but you can go higher if you prefer.

place your ESC's in the exhaust for better cooling, since you aren't worried about all out performance. right behind the motor is a great spot for this.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:31 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,379 Posts
you can use 3S, which will be lighter, but 4S will give you significantly more performance to overcome the added weight of 4S packs. it's up to you and you can't really go wrong either way. if you decide to go with 3S, just make sure you go with a larger Kv motor. to figure out which is best, just multiply 11.1V X the Kv of your motor to get maximum unloaded RPM. you want to be in the mid 50,000 RPM range unloaded I would say.