SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:12 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,899 Posts
i feel ive made a break through and have really become much more consistent with her landing habits. keeping the landing speed up a bit helps a lot.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:21 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Jul 2014
42 Posts
New Stearman from Horizon Arrived!

I was happy to grab one when they came back in stock and have all the recommended parts for building but I'm wondering about servos. After reading many of these posts it sounds like some have opted to downsize servos for weight savings. I had that thought in mind and picked up Hitec 82mg's (17gram) for the rudder and elevator and I already have a collection of 9gram servos from other projects for the ailerons.

My question to those with some flight hours with smaller servos; how are they performing? Are 9gram servos sufficient for ailerons or should I step up to the 17 gram?

Thanks for any input and happy to join the squadron!

Tom
CZQ Tom is offline Find More Posts by CZQ Tom
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:30 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,450 Posts
I'm using Hitec 82 MG's in a .40 sized Maxford Gee Bee model E. After buying them I found out that these servos have no output shaft bearings and that the hole will wear and become sloppy with long use. There are other same size Hitec servos with metal sleeve or ball bearings that are recommended by Hitec if bearings are a concern.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 21, 2015, 03:45 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,899 Posts
with only one set of ailerons i like nice strong servos so i can get good deflection and really roll this baby.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:47 PM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
739 Posts
I think I went with the E-flite recommended servos which are still working just great, been to windy so far this week to fly but with the extra light at night will be able to get some evening go arounds.
Jeff…………
SeeMeDo is online now Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Feb 22, 2015, 02:44 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Jul 2014
42 Posts
Thanks for the servo input, guys. I'll go with the recommended sizes. I've got the h 82mgs for the ailerons and since I needed to make an order from MotionRC, I ordered a pair of Freewing 27gram metal gear servos for the rudder and elevator. Hopefully, I'll get it built this week.

Tom
CZQ Tom is offline Find More Posts by CZQ Tom